IS MELBOURNE BETTER THAN SYDNEY?

melbournian cheese

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 12:50 am
BEST SIMPSONS QUOTE EVER:

Lionel Hutz: "Uh oh! we drew Judge Schnyder!"
Marge: "Is that bad?"
LH: "He's had a bit of a grudge against me after I kinda ran over his dog."
M: "Oh dear! Are you sure?"
LH: "Well, replace the word 'kinda' with the word 'repeatedly' and replace the word 'dog' with the word 'son'.

(Completely irrelevant but completely hilarious)
0 Replies

melbournian cheese

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 03:36 am
As I was saying, Sydneysiders are always paying out Melbourne and Melbournians just fight back in self defense. At least, I think that's what I was saying...
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 04:48 am
Any conclusion yet as to which is better?
0 Replies

melbournian cheese

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 02:52 am
no, not yet. Sydneysiders are saying Sydney, Melbournians are saying Melbourne and everyone else doesn't have a clue.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 07:45 pm
.. some of us couldn't care less!
0 Replies

australia

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 06:53 am
The answer is: It depends on what you are doing there. As a tourist, Sydney is a lot better as it is more beautiful and slightly better weather. To live and work, Melbourne is better as the cost of living is cheaper, and the time it takes you to get to the city is less as well.
0 Replies

novaz04

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 08:03 pm
Depends on what you like to do. If you like good weather/good beaches, Sydney, (and there is still room for the trendites in Sydney, don't worry about that). If you don't really give a damn about weather/beaches and is a hard core trendite, then Melbourne. Both are suitable for Families. I love Sydney, I really have admired it since I was 7. Anyway, I haven't had a good look at Melbourne, so I would say I would like Melbourne as well, if I went to St. Kilda or something. I went to Melbourne CBD, which ROCKS. Sadly, thats where the fun ended on my trip.
0 Replies

australia

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 10:48 pm
What about moving from Melbourne to Noosa? Any opinions on pros and cons?
0 Replies

phenom

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 10:33 am
Being from Adelaide I'd rather Sydney. The only thing Melbourne has over Sydney in my eyes is the football. Smile
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 01:30 pm
More and different football in Sydney (4 codes, 5 - if you count those nutters playing American football!)!

<this is not necessarily a good thing!>
0 Replies

Allsixkindsamusic

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 07:00 pm
In my so-arrogantly-not-so-humble experience, Sydney's a good party-town but Melbourne's better to live in. Unlike Fortune I don't hear screamings from the other room: I hear feathered birds.

FYI: t'other side of the equator is fine in summer but minus-20 ain't good in a thin swag!

[email protected]
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 07:04 pm
Does it really matter?
0 Replies

novaz04

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 03:47 am
Just because you have a bad experience in Sydney, doesn't mean its like that all over Sydney.

Sydney is extremely good to live in.

Both cities have strenths.

Both have weaknesses.

Why is it you Melbournites feel so insecure about Sydney? Get over it.

To Melbournite Cheese: If that guy in your work says "At least i'm not from Melbourne", tell him to act his damn age, and mention he is a childish imature pig. Well, something like that. Most people in Sydney don't do things like that.
VooDoo

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 04:31 am
Laughing Come now, both are wonderful cities. I live in Sydney but I am going to Melbourne next weekend. Melbourne has the Australian Open in January so yes, in January, Melbourne is better in this respect.
0 Replies

ceara

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 04:41 am
Melbourne has Neighbours

Sydney has Water Rats.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 07:49 pm
VooDoo and ceara....

Welcome to A2K!
From the Sydney group Wink
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 09:45 pm
I love 'em both.

And all the other capitals I have visited.

Each city has, as Novas pointed out, its special strengths and weaknesses - and its own special character.

Diversity rules!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 06:27 pm
We have this wee problem with our beloved Yarra River in Melbourne:

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2005/01/23/123_cartoon_gallery__550x444.jpg

Shocked
Yarra, I love you madly, but no way am I setting so much as a toe in you!
0 Replies

AC11

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 08:03 pm
Sydneysiders just don't get Melburnians.

I was born overseas, brought up and currently live in Melbourne and I am a loyalist to neither cities. I don't even consider myself Australian and I think Brisbane (love CG and QLD too) is the most liveable city anyway so I can be objective. In fact, I adore Sydney for its unrivaled (in the world) beauty, the fast pace, and the way you can be rude to people and they don't really care. Love visiting. Would live there if I were a multimillionaire and could live right on the harbour/beach. It's really the most naturally beautiful harbour city in the world.

In all my years in Melbourne, the rivalry has never really been a serious issue when you talk to people. It's not like the essential smack Melb down attitude Sydney people have. Here's what Sydneysiders don't get about Melburnians: Melburnians - apart from the marketing stuff you see in the media - REALLY DON'T HAVE AN ACHING HUNGER TO BE WORLD CLASS or to be BETTER, per se. Melbourne is introspective and happy to be itself as it is.

When the rivalry comes up, it's a soul thing for them. Melburnians are in love with their city - it's like defending your wife or your husband...you know? All the "advantages" that Melbs has over Syd - when you get a Melbogan talkin' about it, it's all about love.

Whereas for Sydbogans it's an ego thing. It's really about being better. So honestly, there is no competition. The cities want different things. Melbourne wants to be known for its substance but not achingly so - you can just acknowledge it gently. Sydney wants to be known for its glitz and glitter and craves attention and adulation. Which means both can coexist happily and the rivalry is based on a false premise. Both are just fantastic.
msolga

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 08:12 pm
@AC11,
G'day there, AC11.

Welcome to A2K. Smile

(I'm a Melbournian.)