IS MELBOURNE BETTER THAN SYDNEY?

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 01:40 am
this is a question that has been bugging me ever since i moved to sydney from melbourne. i personally believe melbourne is a lot better than sydney and think sydney is a feral hole where the property is always over $1 million Confused
I'd like to know how other people feel on the subject
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 22,088 • Replies: 188
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 05:26 am
Inquiring minds want to know why Ozzians are so exercised about that question.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 05:33 am
Every one needs a little exercise now and then, Setanta!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 05:53 am
Setanta wrote:
Inquiring minds want to know why Ozzians are so exercised about that question.

Not all of us are, Setanta.
It's an old rivalry thing ... getting a wee bit tired.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 05:57 am
I've never been to the wrong side of the equator, but my money's on Melbourne, as it is the birthplace of Neighbours...
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 06:04 am
Wrong side?!! Humph!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 06:04 am
You're a fan, Grand Duke?
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 06:26 am
Fortune - Alright then, I've never been to 'the other side' of the equator. Sorry. Force of habit.

Msolga - yes, as sad as it may seem, I am a fan of Neighbours. I've been watching since before Kylie & Jason started singing all their lovely songs for us. Stopping now would just be too difficult. It's like a drug.

Every single Australian I've met has said that Neighbours is one of the worst programmes ever to come out of your warm, far-away country. Do you agree?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 06:29 am
Er .... I'm not a fan, Grand Duke. But I'm intrigued - What is it that keeps you watching?
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 06:38 am
There are those who watch it religiously and those who avoid it like the plague. I fall somewhere in the middle of those, if it's on I don't run screaming from the room but I wont watch the clock for it either. I suppose I just couldn't relate to any of the characters, they all seem a bit whingey to me.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 07:01 am
I find the over-acting, implausible convoluted storylines and wobbly sets make for compelling viewing. That, and the pretty girls (they need a replacement for Holly Valance to keep the quota up, IMO).

My childhood was spent watching many of the other soaps/dramas originating from Down Under as my mum was/is a big fan of Sons & Daughters, Young Doctors and the timeless classic that is Prisoner (Cell Block H). Home & Away is just a young upstart. More recent offerings (in the last 10-15 years) that have got me hooked are Heartbreak High and Police Rescue. You Aussies make some good TV.

This has got me thinking - are British progammes as popular in Oz as yours are up here? Corrie? Eastenders? Emmerdale? The Bill?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 07:08 am
The Bill is one of the ABC's best rating programs, Grand Duke.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 07:56 am
Cool. I'm a bit of a fan of that as well!

Anyway, does anyone know whether its Neighbours heritage makes Melbourne better than Sydney?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 08:05 am
It's a mystery, really. :wink:
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 08:49 am
We love a bit of British humour over here. Red Dwarf is one of my all time favourite shows!

"It's cold outside, with no kind of atmosphere! I'm all alone, more or less..."
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 08:54 am
"Goldfish-o's,
Nibbling at my toes,
Fun, fun, fun,
In the sun, sun, sun..."

Dwaine Dibbly? Smeggin' hell!
0 Replies

melbournian cheese

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 12:21 am
umm....this is getting weird. the topic is IS MELBOURNE BETTER THAN SYDNEY? not IS NEIGHBOURS GOOD OR NOT which it isn't but for some reason i'm addicted... Sad
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 12:29 am
If you think Sydney is a feral hole why don't you go back to Melbourne?

Like the number plates say; "Victoria - The place to be"

Go be there.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 05:07 am
I was intrigued by the locution "feral hole." Is one then to assume that the denizens of Sydney have reverted to a condition of human barbarism?
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 05:31 am
When I was younger, my family tried to force me to watch Home and Away with them. The trauma. However, I find that the most evil Antipodean TV show that has crossed the waters is the Kiwi offering, Shortland Street. Now that's just vulgar.

0 Replies