Queen Elizabeth's Birthday

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2016 07:30 am
@Lordyaswas,
Well, the French wikipedia says: "Un des principaux fondateurs de l'Union européenne ...".
And the plaque at his former home says:
http://i68.tinypic.com/2lkrzaq.jpg

Might be that it's hair splitting. But since I grew up with the developing European union, I'm aware of the different names and aims of the organisation, which is the EU since 1992, Europe in the UK. Very Happy
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2016 08:48 am
@Lordyaswas,
Quote:
Maybe I should have called him a founding Commissar

Lordy, I'm sorry to say this, but you come over like a prat when you write stuff like that.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2016 09:42 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Oh my, Foofie opening a thread like this? I thought he only cared about
his Jewish heritage and his own New York neighborhood. Now, don't get cosmopolitan on me, Foofie!

Why do you think so many U.S. Jewish males have first names that are originally English, i.e., Stanley, Barry, Harold, Irving, etc.. I believe after the Balfour Declaration (making a Zionist state part of the British political agenda, or something like that) Jewish mothers stopped giving their sons German first names, i.e., Max for example, that was the 19th century's attempt to give Jews of Eastern European descent a little panache with a German first name (German Jews being the elite of Jews).
Also, even though English history, if I remember what I read, did banish Jews twice, they in more recent history seem to have decided like American WASPs to utilize them, rather than disenfranchise them like, you know where. The moral of the story is Jews do not need to be loved/liked, just let them live in peace and they might just be a benefit to the majority.
P.S.: Daniel Patrick Moynihan, before he went into politics was a City University sociology professor. He co-authored a book where each chapter told the story of the five ethnicities that comprised NYC in the 20th century. They were the Irish, Italians, Jews, Blacks and Puerto Ricans (not in that order). Jews having been instrumental in some industries that helped the economy of NYC do seem to take pride in New York being a knock-off in its early times of York (England). And, the Irish oftentimes remind people of they having physically built NYC's skyscrapers. Anyway, NYC is not LA or some other urban centers. It confers on it old time residents a unique identity, I believe.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2016 02:44 pm
Some time ago I read an - for me - interesting article about why the Swedes are so good in writing crime novels and very bloody too.
The Swedes always try to be neutral and polite and never scream and yell.
So there aggresive feelings are covered by reading about crime and dreaming about -..... na ja you figure that out.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2016 02:56 pm
@Foofie,
The Queen looks very good for her age. Her legs and hips are in fine working order and as far as I know she hasn't had any recent fractures or cardiovascular problems.

She's had excellent healthcare her entire life and her life has been charactistic of the very wealthy. If she had to, I doubt she'd be able to either scrub the bath tub, or do the laundry or even turn on the stove.

It' quite true that being wealthy ( at least in the USA) leads one to live a long and healthy life.

Also, if the Queen needs to see a physician for a medical problem, it's highly unlikely that she'll have to wait 6+ hours in an emergency room for her care.
saab

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 03:23 am
@Miller,
Here you have a woman of 90 who does a job, which very few yonger people would be able to do. Her job is not just a question of standing around and look nice, but also a job which has to do with brain and psychology. Being able to know what is going on the world, being able to meet and talk with people from
all over the world.
I have read she used to help in the kitchen as a young person.
Besides that she belongs to a generation which grew up with help in the house and not just amongst the very very rich.
To be honest how many of the young working people really do know how to cook now adays. With cooking I mean put a good helthy meal on the table seven days a week.
P.S. If it had been a king you probably would not have said:
If he had to, I doubt he'd be able to either scrub the bath tub, or do the laundry or even turn on the stove.
Miller

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 01:54 pm
@saab,
Quote:
If he had to, I doubt he'd be able to either scrub the bath tub, or do the laundry or even turn on the stove.

I would never, ever say such a thing about a Swedish man. The men, I met in Sweden knew how to clean, do the laundry and they surely knew how to turn on the stove. They're the best cooks and bakers I've ever met.
Foofie

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 02:10 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

The Queen looks very good for her age. Her legs and hips are in fine working order and as far as I know she hasn't had any recent fractures or cardiovascular problems.

She's had excellent healthcare her entire life and her life has been charactistic of the very wealthy. If she had to, I doubt she'd be able to either scrub the bath tub, or do the laundry or even turn on the stove.

It' quite true that being wealthy ( at least in the USA) leads one to live a long and healthy life.

Also, if the Queen needs to see a physician for a medical problem, it's highly unlikely that she'll have to wait 6+ hours in an emergency room for her care.

The wealthhy live longer, for more than having wealth. They may also live in a segment of society that lets the masses burn their candles at both ends, while they might be not as pleasure seeking. Moderation and fewer self-abusing habits, even though the media paints them as hedonists. That could be a big canard. Then again, if one was wealthhy, why would one want to rub elbows with the riff-raff?
0 Replies

saab

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 02:24 pm
@Miller,
So according to your logic the Englsih Queen cannot cook or clean but the Swedish King can. Both of them do have people working for them.
We have a friend he can really cook and set a lovely table.
We have another friend his food is just plain and uninteresting and his apartment so messy we stopped going there.
The rest are just in between the two exstreems just like everywhere else.
0 Replies