saab

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2016 01:12 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Sorry - let us talk about the weather.
What will it be like tomorrow - I am off to UK
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2016 01:14 pm
@saab,
Nice and dry but a bit chilly - winter is fighting back one last time.

It will be down to 0c tonight, so I am just about to close up the windows on my greenhouse, to protect my little seedlings.
saab

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2016 01:24 pm
@Lordyaswas,
just like here - makes packing easy.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2016 01:57 pm
@saab,
Quote:
Why is Obama telling the British what to do regarding EU?

Maybe because he is the leader of the world's most powerful country,whose economy is affected by what happens in the rest of the world, and who does not want a trillion-dollar economy take a wrong path?
Quote:
Can´t imagen Cameron going over to USA tell the Americans whom to vote for.

The tail does not tell the dog when to bark, or if it tries, it may well be ignored.

0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2016 02:22 pm
@saab,
saab wrote:

Why is Obama telling the British what to do regarding EU?
Does he hope to make a good impression on Merkel whom is going to meet now.?
Can´t imagen Cameron going over to USA tell the Americans whom to vote for.

It was more an instance of giving advice from the perspective of one ally to another than telling an ally what to do. It isn't only Obama that has an opinion in regard to Brexit.
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2016 02:41 pm
Oh my, Foofie opening a thread like this? I thought he only cared about
his Jewish heritage and his own New York neighborhood. Now, don't get cosmopolitan on me, Foofie!
Setanta

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2016 03:16 pm
@ehBeth,
That was a great vid . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2016 03:19 pm
@CalamityJane,
Foofie/Miller has an irrational hatred of Irish-Americans, exceeded only by her hatred of African-Americans. Read the OP again, she was trying to stir up the Irish. She's a twit.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2016 05:05 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
It isn't only Obama that has an opinion in regard to Brexit.

If Obama had said "Britain should leave the EU" the same people who now accuse him of meddling in UK domestic politics would be singing his praises and calling him a wise statesman.
saab

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2016 11:28 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
We from the small countries in Scandinavia do not have a word to say in EU, that is our impression.
We often have the feeling we are run by Merkel and now Obama comes too and tells UK what to do. I would have reacted just the same if he had said out.
The day the small countries also have a voice I would feel different.
Löfven or Løkke Rasmussen noone listens to within EU - they come back from
Brussels and say that Merkel has said....
Lordyaswas

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2016 01:15 am
@saab,
Saab, you should take comfort and be guided by the words attributed to the EU's founder Jean Monnet :

"Europe’s nations should be guided towards the superstate without their people understanding what is happening."

Tongue in cheek, of course.
Feel better now? Very Happy
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2016 02:06 am
@Lordyaswas,
Quote:
the words attributed to the EU's founder Jean Monnet :

"Europe’s nations...

Not that old lie again! Widely quoted by Europhobes. Never said or written by Monnet — in fact it is what the British Conservative Adrian Hilton reckons Monnet's plan was. That is not to say that some kind of loose political union was not Monnet's goal; he made that perfectly clear. he didn't advocate doing it by stealth. In fact Winston Churchill went much further and wanted a "United States of Europe".
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2016 02:17 am
Yeah, but didn't Monnet and Churchill say everybody but those goofy Swedes?

0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2016 03:21 am
Especially Ren and Stimpy's Cousin Sven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHQBsdGXdXs

I have to say -- I am watching the Tjockare än vatten series -- boy, they talk funny in Åland! Our Finnish friend Veera hates Swedes and won't watch it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2016 03:28 am
The Martin Beck novels are a wonderful series of "crime" novels, really, the first police procedural novels, written in the 1960s and 70s. I highly recommend them.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2016 03:43 am
I have shelves of Henning Mankell, Jo Nesbø, Karin Fossum & Stieg Larsson, and I have watched quite a few Martin Beck TV dramas; everything Scandi is wildly in vogue among the chattering classes here. I have not got around to any language learning yet, beyond tack, hej, skål, ja, nej, and (of course) mörda.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2016 03:47 am
I only encountered Martin Beck this year, but have greatly enjoyed the novels. Stieg Larsson didn't really take with me. I read the first one, but wasn't interested enough to read the later ones.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2016 05:28 am
@saab,
saab wrote:
Löfven or Løkke Rasmussen noone listens to within EU - they come back from
Brussels and say that Merkel has said....
Well, and Cecilia Malmström, the (Swedish) European Commissioner for Trade, complains that we Germans don't want TTIP. In opposition to our current government ... (There's a huge 'anti-TIPP' demonstration in Hannover today, due to Obama's visit. And Malmström gave an interview to German media .)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2016 05:43 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:
EU's founder Jean Monnet
Monnet founded in 1955, Monnet the Action Committee for the United States of Europe . That became the European Economic Community (EEC) in 1958.

Wikipedia has a list of the 'Founding fathers of the European Union.

It should be noted that the Maastricht Treaty (1992) created the European Union.
Lordyaswas

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2016 07:18 am
@Walter Hinteler,
It's split hairs time.

Maybe I should have called him a founding Commissar, or something similar. I think you knew what I meant, Walt.