oralloy

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 04:52 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I've read a reasonably convincing report today that young voters are not likely to stay home in November. I am somewhat mollified by that--the Democrats really need to take control of the Senate, and they'll need a good voter turn-out to accomplish that.

It is unlikely that the Democrats will make many gains in a year that is virtually guaranteed to be a Republican victory.

But why is it so important that the Democrats retake the Senate?
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 04:54 pm
@Setanta,
Not once did I lecture or condescend to you in this thread. You cannot point out a single sentence I wrote that meets that criteria here. All I did was disagree with your premise and I did so politely and without any of this baggage you always bring to the table.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 04:59 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Not once did I lecture or condescend to you in this thread. You cannot point out a single sentence I wrote that meets that criteria here. All I did was disagree with your premise and I did so politely and without any of this baggage you always bring to the table.

Would you argue with a boil?
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 05:03 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Thing is I wasn't even trying to argue, whether or not Setanta thinks this is the most acrimonious election in a while is a personal opinion that I ceded might well be true for him. I was just bringing some data to the discussion that I personally found reassuring about the worries being expressed about the Democrat's ability to unite after what some here call a contentious primary.
Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 05:08 pm
@oralloy,
You're living in La-la land. This Huffington Post page lists the major polls, which, including Fox News, shows Clinton mopping the floor with Trump.. You may object to the Huffington Post on polemical grounds, but they link all the polls to which they refer.

It is really sad to think that you don't understand the significance of the Senate in American politics.
Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 05:12 pm
@Robert Gentel,
It's not "baggage," it's just fatigue with your insistence that you know what others don't, when it was glaringly obvious that you weren't even reading my posts, that you weren't discussing what i was discussing. I don't care who gets the nomination, and i've made that clear. Referring to 2008 is not constructing an analogy, because Mr. Obama secured the nomination, and Mr. Sanders is unlikely to secure this nomination. The two situations are not analogous. Your obsession with being right even extends to being obsessive about my referring to Nimh as Habibi.

I think you must live in an echo chamber, in which you only hear the sound of your own voice, rather like Oralloy.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 05:27 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
It's not "baggage," it's just fatigue with your insistence that you know what others don't

I never said that I know what others don't, that is you just projecting.

I even went out of my way to make sure I said that your experience may well be completely true for you but that I saw data on a larger scale that was encouraging to me.

Quote:
when it was glaringly obvious that you weren't even reading my posts, that you weren't discussing what i was discussing.

I directly addressed one part of what you were discussing, I might not have addressed it all but that doesn't mean I am not discussing what you were discussing. I don't have to address every single thing you say to be on topic.

Quote:
I don't care who gets the nomination, and i've made that clear.

Neither do I, I've always thought it was gonna be Hillary who wins and I am not preaching for any particular side or candidate, I just have a less negative outlook on Democratic unity and am more optimistic and was sharing my reasons why.

Quote:
Referring to 2008 is not constructing an analogy, because Mr. Obama secured the nomination, and Mr. Sanders is unlikely to secure this nomination.

In my example I was illustrating that a higher percentage of Hillary supporters said they would not vote for Bernie than Bernie supporters now saying they will not vote for Hillary.

Where is the flaw in this comparison?

Quote:
The two situations are not analogous.

You seem to have misread it because they are analogous, the losing candidate's supporters last time reported not being willing to vote for the winner in much greater numbers than this time, and even then they came around in the general election so the even lower number of Bernie supporters this year saying they won't support Hillary should be encouraging to those who are worried about this. That is all.

Quote:
Your obsession with being right even extends to being obsessive about my referring to Nimh as Habibi.

I'm obsessed with information and learning and am always happy to be wrong and learn something. And I never claimed to be "right" about anything in this thread. I've always found it awkward that you refer to Joost as Habibi decades after he stopped using that username and just happened to mention it. Has **** all with trying to be "right" and was just a perfectly innocuous comment that as usual you take personally.

Quote:
I think you must live in an echo chamber, in which you only hear the sound of your own voice, rather like Oralloy.

I think you are a bitter old man who must make an argument where there was none.
Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 05:31 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Ah-hahahahahahahaha . . .

What do you allege that i'm bitter about? I won't be joining you down there in the mud pit.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 05:34 pm
@Setanta,
I have no idea, I've just observed you spout bile for decades here often with no provocation. I've wondered if you had a rough life or something but ultimately it doesn't matter, you **** on people here all the time and that is the end result regardless of the reason.

And pretending not to be "joining me" in the mudpit is high irony, I had not said one unkind word to you in this thread before you started insulting me and my comment is a direct response to you flinging mud in your previous post. It is only after you started with those personal attacks that I spoke of your caustic temperament because I had borne you no ill will and wasn't even trying to argue with you when you started **** slinging.
Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 05:37 pm
@Robert Gentel,
What were the insults, and how do they compare to calling me a bitter old man? Of course, this site has not existed for decades. When i first came here, i was reasonably civil, but others got nasty with me, initially over the invasion of Iraq. I just eventually reached a point at which if i were attacked, i struck back. Get over yourself. Your self-righteousness is unconvincing.
Lash

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 05:42 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Hoping it will explode...? I know I've been having a bit o fun with that today...

I think a few resident rage-aholics are set on blow.

*ping*
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 05:43 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
What were the insults, and how do they compare to calling me a bitter old man?

You told me I have "zero rhetorical skill" and called me "tedious", completely out of the blue. I had not said a single negative word to you and had not even disagreed with you stridently.

You are a bitter old man, that's why you do that kind of thing without any provocation. I had said not a whit about you personally before that and was going out of my way to make my disagreement with your premise palatable to your hypersensitive ass.

Quote:
Of course, this site has not existed for decades.

It has existed just shy of two decades, but I have been interacting with you online starting on Abuzz.com before this site and you were the same bitter, caustic person back then.

Quote:
When i first came here, i was reasonably civil, but others got nasty with me, initially over the invasion of Iraq. I just eventually reached a point at which if i were attacked, i struck back. Get over yourself. Your self-righteousness is unconvincing.

I did not at all attack you, just like each time we've tussled you decided to insult me out of the blue.

And no, you've never been primarily civil here (there was even a welcoming committee in the first year that would message new members you insulted telling them to ignore you for being "an educated idiot" and crapping on new members), ever since this site was founded you were one of the people who was most complained about and who most drove new users away.

You are one of the site's biggest cancers and always have been.
oralloy

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 05:48 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
You're living in La-la land.

I'm taking into account all the damage that was done by the 2013 gun control debacle.

Mr. Trump is going to win so decisively that the Democrats are going to be shut out of the White House for 20 years.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 05:57 pm
@Robert Gentel,
You just ooze virtue from every pore. Your view is very biased--saying that someone has zero rhetorical skills is not at all equivalent to calling someone a bitter old man. Your characterization of my behavior since i arrived here is also false. I would point out that this site was founded late in 2002. Six years is hardly "just shy" of two decades. I suggest that you avoid the cancer and stop talking to me if it bothers you so much. I certainly see no reason to continue to talk to you when you indulge such hyperbolic hysteria.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 06:02 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
You just ooze virtue from every pore.

You should try that instead of your bitter bile.

Quote:
Your view is very biased--saying that someone has zero rhetorical skills is not at all equivalent to calling someone a bitter old man.

I didn't call them equivalent, but you stared with those personal insults out of the blue and I'm calling you the bitter old man that you are for doing so.

Quote:
Your characterization of my behavior since i arrived here is also false.

No it isn't, we coordinated with several people to apologize to new members on your behalf for being a jerk all the time in its very first year.

Quote:
I would point out that this site was founded late in 2002. Six years is hardly "just shy" of two decades.

This site was not founded in 2002, it went under several previous names and incarnations prior to that.

Quote:
I suggest that you avoid the cancer and stop talking to me if it bothers you so much. I certainly see no reason to continue to talk to you when you indulge such hyperbolic hysteria.

You can do whatever you wish and I will do what I wish. When you start attacking people out of the blue I prefer not to ignore it and prefer to call you out for the caustic presence you are on the site.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 06:05 pm
You view is skewed--i could make that case that you've been hostile to me since i first showed up here, and there is evidence for that, too, such as when your buddy ILZ told a religious member that she should not be allowed to reproduce for that reason, and when i criticized him for that, you attacked me. You have a very warped perspective.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 06:10 pm
@Setanta,
No, I liked you originally despite your outbursts and was myself a lot more bitter and caustic and had a greater tolerance for that kind of thing back then.

And ILZ was not my buddy, he argued with me all the time. I criticized you after your personal attack on him because I thought it was unwarranted in tone.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 06:12 pm
By the way, i arrived here in late 2002, so you haven't dealt with negativity from me for decades. That's just more hysterical hyperbole.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 06:13 pm
@Setanta,
I interacted with you on Abuzz for years prior to that. You didn't suddenly become a negative grouch here, you were always that way. Your biggest defense for your nasty personality is that I might not have observed it for a full two decades but a few years less shy of that but that doesn't change that you've always been a bitter nasty person on this site.

In any case I'm moving on, I've had my say about your antics here.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 06:14 pm
The only bitterness i see in the posts here is yours.
0 Replies