Dole asking Kerry about Nam.

Harper

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 05:27 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
That Kerry has felt the need to respond to the Swift Boaters indicates that his campaign, at least, feels their charges are doing some damage.

Real poor logic there. And a regurgitation of a Repub talking point. Kerry responded because not having done so may have eventually caused damage. Kerry hasn't lost a beat from this and in the long run this smear campaign will actually result in a net gain.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 05:34 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

I would suggest that if you find a particular behavior reprehensible in a friend or in yourself, then you might want to reconsider assigning it as a virtue in someone running for president.

Well, I would agree except that this means that I find all politicians reprehensible and so then what? Who do I vote for? I find way more attributes about Bush that are reprehensible to me than about Kerry. Kerry seems to me to be someone who has paid his dues, whether or not his career is one that I would want for myself is totally beside the point.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 05:50 am
angie:

You wrote:

Quote:
re Kerry's post-Vietnam public service record: a non-partisan has put together an excellent site detailing the records of many politicians running for office (Dems and Repubs)

http://www.votewithavengeance.com/kerry.html

I am one of those voters who is torn in two. As such, I am attempting to read all that I can about each candidate from CREDIBLE and EVENHANDED sources.

I read the article in the site that you mentioned, and noticed that some of the adjectives used in describing Kerry and his record were a bit too positive for a non-partisan site. I also noticed that the name of the site had the word "Kerry" in it, which gave me pause. I started scratching my head, and I wanted to see what that site said about Bush, so I hit the "Home" button. This was what I found.....................

Quote:
This Website Endorses John Kerry for President and John Edwards for Vice-President of the United States

I really resent having something presented by a member as non-partisan, whan it obviously isn't. As such, I will have to ignore just about everything that I have read on that site. Now if someone knows about any sites that ARE non-partisan, I would appreciate links to them!
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 05:55 am
yahoo news

Quote:
"I do not have a single document," Odell said.

Quote:
Kerry still carries shrapnel in his thigh from one of his wounds in Vietnam.

So far this had the result of bush being able to catch up with kerry. If this smear tactic has the result of getting bush elected, then we deserve four more years of bush.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 06:24 am
Phoenix, how can you even compare the two based on their military service?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 07:04 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I really resent having something presented by a member as non-partisan, whan it obviously isn't. As such, I will have to ignore just about everything that I have read on that site. Now if someone knows about any sites that ARE non-partisan, I would appreciate links to them!

Apologies to all for stretching the thread, normally I'd link to the image, but this is one of those cases where the image resize function would render the link useless unless I explained how to make it full size etc etc

http://graphics7.nytimes.com/images/2004/08/19/politics/campaign/20040820swift_graph.gif
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 07:33 am
Harper wrote:
Quote:
Phoenix, how can you even compare the two based on their military service?

Harper & Craven- Where did you get the idea that I was comparing military service? My post had to do with a person describing a site as non-partisan, when it is definitely isn't. You see, I am making a frustrating attempt to separate real reportage, from spin and hype offered up by people with an agenda, from EITHER SIDE!

I am getting a headache from all the bullshit, lies and prevarications that is flying around from ALL sides of the political spectrum. I think that if by November, I can even glimpse the truth, I will have accomplished a lot!
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 08:07 am
Phoenix

I don't know how much clearer a person could get than that graph that craven put up. All those facts could easily be checked out if one was really interested in glimpsing the truth.

anyone,

The only reason I am even interested in the story has almost nothing to do with Kerry himself but as just another disgusting corrupt example of the Bush family and their politics. I feel we are being led by nothing more than common well connected; well moneyed criminals with a bunch of blind sheep supporting them. No apologies.

Come November if Bush gets elected, I gotta get off this website for my own good and bury myself into other pursuits and let whatever happens happen.
0 Replies

Karzak

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 08:11 am
The graph is a nice trick, but it doesn't dispute the testemony of the overwhelming majority of people who served with Kerry who are willing to speak, and who think Kerry unfit for command.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 08:13 am
http://boortz.com/images/washington.jpg
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 08:16 am
One more time.

What I was referring to was a concept, not a particular. My remark had nothing to do with Kerry, Bush, swift boats, banana splits, or the price of tea in China.

What I was attempting to get across, is that I think that if a site is politically partisan, the material that it presents should not be offered up as a disinterested account.

Craven- Thanks for the chart- That was very interesting (but a separate issue)!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 08:18 am
I admire your search for truth Phoenix. Rather elusive these days. Remember that spin website? I liked it a lot. Can't find it.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 08:19 am
Here tis
http://www.spinsanity.org/
0 Replies

Karzak

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 08:28 am
Just because a site is partisan doesn't mean it lies, it just means it will present facts in a partisan way.

Like the chart, and the swiftboat veterans themselves.

You won't find any impartial source.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 08:41 am
Quote:
Just because a site is partisan doesn't mean it lies, it just means it will present facts in a partisan way.

This reminds me of an old joke.

I am thrifty

You are frugal

He's a cheapskate!

Panzade- Thanks for the Spinsanity site!
0 Replies

Karzak

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 09:01 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:

This reminds me of an old joke.

I am thrifty

You are frugal

He's a cheapskate!

But the fact is all three save money.

And even at a partisan site the facts are there, if you care to look.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 09:04 am
Karzak- Don't want to beat a dead horse, but, unless you really study what you are reading, the tone of a piece affects a person's perception of what he is reading.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 09:12 am
Well I'm reading the tone of Karzak's perception and I don't think he's...oh never mind.
You're right Karzak...it's hard to find an impartial source
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 09:27 am
the only irrefutable fact is that the rightwing nuts will hold on to this swift boat thing no matter what....
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 09:32 am
searching A2K Politics forum:

A.W.O.L. 262 posts
Swiftboat 48 posts

Who's holding onto what?
0 Replies