Need editing

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 10:33 pm
Bus driver kicks a pregnant woman with 5-month-old fetus down bus

Beijing - Yesterday afternoon, in a quarrel between a bus driver and conductor and a pregnant woman. The driver kicked the woman who is in pregnancy with 5-mouth-old fetus down the bus.

The driver of the 757th bus route of Beijing argued to police after the incident that at first the woman reviled him with a very harsh bad word. And he erupted in anger over the word and then kicked her down the bus.

PS. Link of the Chinese news:
http://news.sina.com.cn/s/2004-08-22/03293458135s.shtml
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 601 • Replies: 9
No top replies

CalifJim

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 11:17 pm
I'm almost able to edit this for you, but I don't understand your use of "kicked her down the bus". Does this imply that he literally kicked her with his foot? Did she end up on the floor of the bus? Did she end up outside of the bus? On the ground? Or are you saying "kicked her off the bus", meaning, idiomatically, he made her leave the bus, refused to allow her to remain on the bus (meaning he did not use his foot at all)?

Because of the idiom "kicked off (the bus)", this will be tricky, and we may have to resort to "literally kicked ...".
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 11:22 pm
Hi CalifJim,

See this: Jack cried: "Be off, or I'll kick you down stairs".

Now the bus driver kicked the woman down the bus:

The driver kicked her off the bus and she fell to the ground.
0 Replies

CalifJim

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 12:37 am
Beijing - Yesterday afternoon, in a confrontation between a bus driver and a woman who is five months pregnant, the driver kicked the woman, knocking her off the bus.

When questioned by the police after the incident, the driver of Beijing Bus Route 757 claimed that the woman had used foul language, causing him to erupt in anger and kick her.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 05:38 am
Thanks CalifJim.

The rewriting sounds terse. But,

(1) Where is the title?
(2) I felt "confrontation" is a "big" word.
0 Replies

whl626

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 06:35 am
How about using ' row ' instead ?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 07:44 am
Yeah, whl, that might be better.
0 Replies

whl626

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 08:59 pm
Regarding ' kick you down stairs ', in my opinion it is ' kick you downstairs '.

The ' downstairs ' used as an adverb modifying the verb ' kick '. Not being used as a preposition to form a verb phrase ' kick sth down ' Smile
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 09:30 pm
Re: Need editing
oristarA wrote:
Bus driver kicks a pregnant woman with 5-month-old fetus down bus

Beijing - Yesterday afternoon, in a quarrel between a bus driver and conductor and a pregnant woman. The driver kicked the woman who is in pregnancy with 5-mouth-old fetus down the bus.

The driver of the 757th bus route of Beijing argued to police after the incident that at first the woman reviled him with a very harsh bad word. And he erupted in anger over the word and then kicked her down the bus.

PS. Link of the Chinese news:
http://news.sina.com.cn/s/2004-08-22/03293458135s.shtml

Here's the way it would likely be written in a U.S. newspaper:

Beijing -- SHOCKING ATTACK ON PREGNANT WOMAN

Yesterday afternoon, following a quarrel, a bus driver kicked a woman down the steps of the bus. According to police, the incident happened on bus route 757 in Beijing. The bus driver claimed he kicked the woman, who is five months pregnant, in retaliation after she verbally abused him.

No word yet on the condition of the woman.

Note:
Beijing - Yesterday afternoon, in a quarrel between a bus driver and conductor and a pregnant woman.

this sentence is incomplete -- you see? There is no verb.

. . . .

The driver kicked the woman who is in pregnancy with 5-mouth-old fetus down the bus.

Note: A woman isn't "in pregnancy." You can say "She is pregnant" or "She has a pregnancy" or "She is a pregnant woman."

. . . .

The driver of the 757th bus route of Beijing argued to police after the incident that at first the woman reviled him with a very harsh bad word.

Note: The driver argued WITH police (not "to").

. . . .

And he erupted in anger over the word and then kicked her down the bus.

Note: Should be "kicked her off the bus" or "kicked her down the bus steps or stairs."
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 09:57 am
Cool Piffka.

I've read through your reply.
And will read it again later.
0 Replies