I don't know how to feel

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2016 07:53 pm
I have been married to my husband for over 16 years. He went to a work conference in January and met a woman with whom he experienced a strong mutual connection. They began communicating often about work related matters and her son's behavioral issues following her divorce, which are similar to issues my husband experienced as a child. He initially hid this friendship from me because he did not think I would understand, and because they were confused about their feelings and the connection they have. They ultimately decided it is not romantic, but believe they are platonic soulmates and need to maintain a close friendship for some unknown reason. It took them a lot of talking to figure this out. I do not understand why. When I saw a picture of her on his phone as I glanced over his shoulder and then questioned him on it, he was very defensive, but told me who she was, what was going on, and how confused he is by it. I was extremely upset, both because he hid it from me, and because I am still suspicious that it is an emotional affair. He constantly tells me he loves me, is committed to me, and that he has no romantic interest in this woman, but feels a strong need to have this friendship. He also said that he feels we have lost our connection. I asked him to go to counseling with me. In the past he has been against counseling, so I was sure he would refuse, but he he agreed. Counseling has not been easy and I am struggling to trust him over this. He told her about it, and she suggested he pray about it and go to counseling. She is divorced and has said she wished her husband would have gone with her. She reached out to me by email to assure me that there is nothing between them but a close genuine friendship. I still cannot accept that. Complicating matters, this weekend he had another work conference spanning a weekend in her city. He asked me to accompany him and wanted me to meet her, but due to my work schedule, I was unable. I asked him not to see her, but he insisted on spending his free parts of the day yesterday and today with her, both alone and with her children present. In advance of this trip, she again reached out to me by email to assure me that there is nothing going on. Part of their time spent included attending her church, as she is quite religious and they had talked about their religion. My husband has a standing rule that he will never refuse an invitation to church from any of his friends. He has attended church services with other friends in the past. He says he cannot explain why he feels so close to this person, but that he has prayed about it, and gets a feeling they should remain friends even though he knows how much it upsets me. She wants to meet me and he wants us to be friends. I just can't seem to accept this friendship. I want to give him an ultimatum, but he will never respond well to that. What should I do?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 739 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Lash

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2016 08:10 pm
@Heartsick,
Tell him you prayed about it and God distinctly said your husband should honor his wife above his desire to play, I mean pray, with Delilah.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2016 08:33 pm
@Heartsick,
Heartsick wrote:
Counseling has not been easy and I am struggling to trust him over this.

What should I do?

counselling is hard at the very best of times

keep working with the counsellor

your marriage may survive or it may fail but the result in either case should be better ability to communicate with your partner (for both of you) - which you will need, married to each other or not
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2016 06:21 am
"He also said that he feels we have lost our connection."

Oh, Oh. This is his introduction to giving himself permission to escalate their relationship. Pull you down, make her/him better than you/him.

Seek counseling soon. Perhaps a pastor can help him review the meaning of his marriage vows.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2016 06:47 am
@Heartsick,
I'm torn about what to suggest here. I believe there is nothing wrong with a spouse having friendships with someone of the opposite sex. So on the face of things, I don't see why you are so upset. He (and she) have been rather open about their friendship. If he has never given you pause to doubt his faithfulness to you, then I think you may be getting upset about nothing.

BUT, on the other hand, the fact that for whatever reason this bothers you should have him give more consideration for your worries/fears of what might develop. Which it seems he is trying to do by inviting you to go with him to this conference, urging you to meet her, etc. It seems the only thing that will make you happy is for him to simply cut all contact with her and he doesn't understand why this is being asked of him because he sees her as a friend.

I have had several close female friends during my marriage and my wife has never had a problem with those relationships. My wife has a couple of close male friends and I do not have a problem with that. Why? Because we trust each other explicitly. We are open about these friendships. He does not think he is doing anything wrong here and is probably confused about why you have a problem with him being friends with her. He is trying to be open about this new friendship with you rather than trying to hide it. He wants you to be comfortable with his friendship with her.

I would continue counseling with a goal of setting up reasonable parameters about his friendship with this other woman.

As an aside, it is a good thing in my opinion that you did not issue any ultimatum to him. Ultimatums tend to come back and bite the one making them on the back side. You either look dumb when you fail to follow through on it or you back yourself into a corner by leaving no compromise and then have to follow through with it by doing what you really did not want to do to begin with. So good for you to reject that thought.

0 Replies

drleo

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2016 07:06 am
@Heartsick,
If you don't want to meet her don't force your self and if you don't like her , show that to your husband, tell him that you no longer want him near her
0 Replies