Spanish question

Pitter

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 06:47 am
Does the word "guiches" mean bromiliads or is it some other plant? We were looking at what I thought were bromiliads growing on a tree when she used that term.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,909 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Charli

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 11:24 pm
BLUE VETCH?
It may be "blue vetch" - which is a twining, vine plant. And, legume, such as the pea plant. Did you see anything like that in said location?

Send a PM to fbaezer - he's from Mexico.
[/color]
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 10:16 am
To tell the truth, I've never heard the word "guiches". And I don't know what kind of a plant is a bromiliard. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 01:28 pm
FROM "GUIJA"?
Actually, I was taking a chance that the word might be derived from "guija" = blue vetch?

Thanks for your quick reply here. I remember your help on the "Big A." Best wishes, Charli Smile
[/b]
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 08:25 pm
Thank you for the suggestions. We were looking at plants that were epiphytes, that is they were growing on trees. The question was a shot in the dark. Either "guiches" is a local name or I just jotted it down wrong. I'm inclined to think it is a local name for bromeliads (which I mispelled above). If it looks like a bromeliad and quacks like a bromeliad...how does that go?
0 Replies