did anyone notice?

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 03:10 pm
2 more US troops killed in Iraq today which brings the listed total to 957, and now to the go-back-machine and continue your discussion about Vietnam.
but, seriously folks, does anyone notice anymore or is it just like traffic accidents, if you've seen or heard of one, they're all the same?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,535 • Replies: 45
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 03:12 pm
I noticed. I read it on the local news internet. Each time I read these I feel terrible. Unfortunately it is getting far too common.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 03:13 pm
I don't think the press reports it as loudly now that the election's in full swing. The liberal press is afraid Bush might catch the blame.
0 Replies

Karzak

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 03:28 pm
around 700 combat deaths, a fairly low death toll for a major operation over a year long.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 03:28 pm
I notice.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 03:30 pm
Ah yes, a fairly low number, so long as one is not oneself the statistic . . .

I notice, and wish i didn't . . .
0 Replies

Karzak

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 03:39 pm
Setanta wrote:
Ah yes, a fairly low number, so long as one is not oneself the statistic . . .

true with any such statistic. People make choices and sometimes they die, true for the volunteers in Iraq, and for the 40,000 who died in the same time period, many of them very young children, cause they chose to drive on US roads.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 03:40 pm
dys

We notice, many of us, even if we aren't supposed to.

Where's the once-omnipresent Rumsfeld these days? Or even Rice? DON'T THINK ABOUT IRAQ
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 03:47 pm
I notice. Anybody know why we don't count Iraqi deaths?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 03:53 pm
true with any such statistic. People make choices and sometimes they die,

Bush made his choice. No way he was going to die.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 03:56 pm
because we invaded Iraq, therefore the ones that don't embrace us are supposed to die. It's a long held attitude (especially among junior grade and middle grade officers-ok and some right-wing politicians) that you win wars by winning battles. Historians gave up that idea when they noticed that George Washington won about one battle and yet won the revolutionary war (OK, LETS JUST SAY HE DIDN'T LOSE IT). To see a really good example of winning wars the republican style, study Grenada. With no battles we managed to win that one.
0 Replies

Karzak

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 03:59 pm
LOL, I guess you never went to OCS or an academy, or even ROTC where they teach winning the campaign is the key (but winning battles is good as well, you can't win a war by losing every battle).
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 04:09 pm
LOL, nope I never went to OCS or ROTC. I carried an M-14 and nobody called me "sir" but if that makes you laugh you should read my service record, lots of chuckles in there.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 04:42 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
I notice. Anybody know why we don't count Iraqi deaths?

freeduck...welcome, and yes, everybody knows why we don't count Iraqi deaths.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 04:47 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Anybody know why we don't count Iraqi deaths?

Because Iraqis don't count as people, silly.

Not to this administration and certainly not to its sycophants (like our jolly Kadzooks here).
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 04:52 pm
I have a theory that Karzak is actually Karl Rove undercover. ; )
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 04:57 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
I have a theory that Karzak is actually Karl Rove undercover. ; )

Karl Rove is waaaay smarter than this (and he doesn't have enough time to spend posting idiotic online one-liners, each punctuated with an astoundingly clever "LOL").
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 05:01 pm
Yeah, I guess that would have to be a pretty deep cover...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 05:25 pm
There's still more coverage here of what's happening in Iraq and Afghanistan and Sudan, than there is of the U.S. election campaigning.

Activity in Pakistan, related to OBL, is also of interest here.

Apparently, the Republicans' fascination with John Kerry is pretty much only an American thing. Or should I say, an American media thing. It is interesting to see how American media seems to be very forcefully diverting American attention away from the mess resulting from the invasion of Iraq.

Of course, it has been encouraging to see the good progress made ...

Quote:
He noted that two-thirds of Al Qaeda (search) leaders have been either killed or captured and the U.S. military's deck of 55 most-wanted Iraqis is quickly dwindling.

"We're rolling back the terrorist threats," said the commander-in-chief. "We're making good progress."
fox news

Quote:
usa today

Quote:
Our coalition of more than 90 countries is pursuing the networks of terror with every tool of law enforcement and with military power. We have arrested, or otherwise dealt with, many key commanders of al Qaeda. (Applause.) Across the world, we are hunting down the killers one by one. We are winning. And we're showing them the definition of American justice. (Applause.) And we are opposing the greatest danger in the war on terror: outlaw regimes arming with weapons of mass destruction.

In Iraq, a dictator is building and hiding weapons that could enable him to dominate the Middle East and intimidate the civilized world -- and we will not allow it. (Applause.) This same tyrant has close ties to terrorist organizations, and could supply them with the terrible means to strike this country -- and America will not permit it. The danger posed by Saddam Hussein and his weapons cannot be ignored or wished away. The danger must be confronted. We hope that the Iraqi regime will meet the demands of the United Nations and disarm, fully and peacefully. If it does not, we are prepared to disarm Iraq by force. Either way, this danger will be removed. (Applause.)

The safety of the American people depends on ending this direct and growing threat.
whitehouse transcript

Yup, it's all worked out tremendously well.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 08:13 pm
As of Friday, Aug. 20, 949 U.S. service members have died since the beginning of military operations in Iraq in March 2003, according to the Defense Department. Of those, 708 died as a result of hostile action and 241 died of non-hostile causes.

I feel strongly that they should all be named.

The latest identifications reported by the Department of Defense :

_ Army Spc. Jacob D. Martir, 21, Norwich, Conn.; died Wednesday in Sadr City when his patrol came under fire; assigned to 2nd Battalion, 5th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division, Fort Hood, Texas.

_ Marine Lance Cpl. Caleb J. Powers, 21, Manfield, Wash.; killed Tuesday in Anbar province; assigned to 2nd Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, Camp Pendleton, Calif.

_ Marine Lance Cpl. Dustin R. Fitzgerald, 22, Huber Heights, Ohio; died Wednesday in a non-hostile related vehicle incident in Anbar province; assigned to Battalion Landing Team 1/2, 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit, Camp Lejeune, N.C.

_ Marine Sgt. Harvey E. Parkerson III, 27, Yuba City, Calif.; killed Wednesday in Anbar province; assigned to Battalion Landing Team 1/4, 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit, Camp Pendleton, Calif.
0 Replies