NUANCE

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 11:08 am
Hi..I'm stuck with this nuance thingy.Perhaps, I should know more about them, but I couldn't figure out how so far Sad

1) Kevin is washing dishes as Marv walks up to the door.

Kevin is washing dishes as Marv walks over to the door.

2) She wants to get to Chicago.

She wants to go to Chicago.

3) The burglars' van is in the driveway. ( two burglars).

The burglars' van is on the driveway.( two burglars).

4) Kevin came out of the back of the house.

Kevin came out from the back of the house.

5) I was decorating the christmas tree with bulbs.

I was decorating the christmas tree with lamps. ( I don't think it fits here.)

Thanks, I'm doing good thanks to you guys.( people , folks).What is the best word here.

Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 681 • Replies: 7
No top replies

navigator

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 11:12 am
This is funny.I have to go by the books, literally.I wanted to say above that understanding is some how a pain in the butt.But,I can't sat these things anymore Cool right
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 11:12 am
navigator, each of those pairs of sentences mean the same thing except for #5.

However, I used to work in technical theatre, and all of the little light bulbs that go in the theatrical lighting instruments are called lamps, so that sentence sounds right to me too.

As for guys/people/folks: any of those work, but I suppose some women may not be thrilled to be included in "guys". Doesn't bother me at all though. Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 11:15 am
1. The first sentence might imply that Marv is outside the room, and approaches the door. The second might imply that he is in the room, and approaches the door.

2. The first sentence might concern itself with the means by which she goes to Chicago--the second simply states that that is where she wishes to go.

3. In my experience, the second sentence is incorrect because of the preposition. No nuance there.

4. The first sentence seems to indicate that Kevin was in the house and exited it by the back door. The second sentence seems to indicate that Kevin was in the area of the back of the house, and left that area (probably to move to the front of the hosue). The second sentence is rather awkward.

5. I think this last is simply a distinction between usages. Americans would say bulbs, most likely. I don't know, but other English-speakers might use the term lamps.

"You guys" is an Americanism. Whether or not other English-speakers would use "folks" i couldn't say, but Americans would use that term, as well. Any English-speaker would find "people" acceptable in this context.
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 11:45 am
How did you figure out all that ?You are definately right!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 11:54 am
Well, i've been reading English for fifty years, and have spoken it (more or less correctly) for a few years longer than that. It is simply the sense of the prepositions.

By the way, i feel that you are doing very well with English. Prepositions are for most non-native speakers the most maddening proposition about learning usage. I say that having had a good deal of experience with course materials for and assisting the teaching of English as a second language.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 03:23 pm
Re: NUANCE
Quote:
1) Kevin is washing dishes as Marv walks up to the door.

Kevin is washing dishes as Marv walks over to the door.

The proper word usage depends on the message that you want to convey.

In the first sentence, I envision Kevin inside the house and standing at the kitchen sink. He is washing dishes. I envision Marv outside the house and he is approaching the door to knock or ring the doorbell.

In the second sentence, I again envision Kevin inside the house and standing at the kitchen sink. Marv is inside the house is walking to the door.

Depending on the context, you probably don't need to use either "up" or "over" in either sentence. You could simply write: "Marv walks to the door."

You are using present tense in both sentences. If you are describing a past event, use past tense: "Kevin was washing dishes as Marv walked to the door."

Quote:
2) She wants to get to Chicago.

She wants to go to Chicago.

Again, the context will determine the correct usage. In the first sentence, the phrase "get to" indicates that she (urgently) wants to get to her desired destination, but is either planning her trip or is enroute and has not yet arrived. E.g., She wants to get to Chicago by the fastest means possible. She wants to get to Chicago before it is too late.

The second sentence indicates a mere desire to go to Chicago.

Quote:
3) The burglars' van is in the driveway. ( two burglars).

The burglars' van is on the driveway.( two burglars).

The phrase "in the driveway" is the phrase most commonly used to describe the location of a parked vehicle.

Quote:
4) Kevin came out of the back of the house.

Kevin came out from the back of the house.

Again, context is important and both sentences are awkward.

The first sentence indicates that Kevin exited the house. However, it is a clumsy sentence. To determine which word or phrase is best, you have to know the context in which it is used.

Kevin observed a police car parked in the driveway. He used the back door to leave the house.

(The second sentence indicates the place from where he appeared.) A police officer saw Kevin running from the back of the house to the alley.

Quote:
5) I was decorating the christmas tree with bulbs.

I was decorating the christmas tree with lamps.

I use the word "bulbs" in this context.
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 10:01 pm
Thanks Debra Smile .What about my writing ?
0 Replies