Media finally investigating Bush Swift Boat smear of Kerry

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 04:39 pm
Re: A chart of the smearers
swolf wrote:

The NY Times, Washington Post, and LA Times are part of the problem; they're an axis of disinformation.

i hear this all of time. who then, do say is telling the truth?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 04:43 pm
swolf wrote:
The NY Times, Washington Post, and LA Times are part of the problem; they're an axis of disinformation.

LOL

(aside to d.t.o.m.: this is one of the aliens-from-Uranus-beaming-messages-of-hatriotism-through-his-teeth-fillings freaks we discussed on another thread...)

Next we will be told that NewsMax, the Washington Times, and Rush Limbaugh are legitimate news sources. Laughing
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 04:54 pm
PDiddie wrote:
LOL

(aside to d.t.o.m.: this is one of the aliens-from-Uranus-beaming-messages-of-hatriotism-through-his-teeth-fillings freaks we discussed on another thread...)

*** man, i guess so. i've come across a few that seem to prefer the little aluminum foil hats, like in "signs".

i have a hard time taking rush seriously on any level, but specifically on anything relating to war, service or patriotism. you know that "polynidal cyst" that got him out of the draft? i had the exact same thing when i was 17 or 18 ( gosh! it's only been 28 or 29 years! why can't i remember exactly what day and year it was??? LOL ). essentially it's a big pimple that grows where your tailbone and butt meet.

went to the doctor, he lanced it. i sat on a pillow driving home and got up and went to work on the loading dock the next day. and the next, and the next...
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 04:55 pm
Academic rigor isn't swolf's strong point. His apparent criteria for "quality journalism" are:
1) it must not criticize a republican president
2) it must not use big words
3) it should use little flags, up or down, for quotation marks
4) it ought to not have more than one or two pages on any subject before the page with the breasts
5) it must not use big words
6) it ought to have a good auto section
7) it cannot be printed on recycled paper
8) it's staff ought to have a ratio of one university graduate for every ten mercenaries who've achieved grade five, up to grade seven, no higher
9) it can't ever correctly quote the framers
10) it can't have big words
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 04:59 pm
b: you forgot 'no multi-syllabic words'
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 05:01 pm
blatham wrote:
Academic rigor isn't swolf's strong point. His apparent criteria .....

not to be picky, but you forgot the "wife wanted with bass boat" section.

sorry swolf, you left yourself open, bro...
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 05:02 pm
PD

Didn't want to throw him a back-breaker like that one.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 05:04 pm
being from Maryland, instead of a john boat it would be wife with own crab pots wouldn't it? And maybe a whole set of teeth?
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 05:08 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
swolf wrote:

i hear this all of time. who then, do say is telling the truth?

There's no easy answer to that. You have to be able to sort through what you see and you have to have access to enough information to do that and fifteen years ago, the American public simply did not have that sort of access. The good news is that the monopoly on information is now irrevocably [ notice the big word, blatherskyte] broken and the average American can throw an internet capable computer together for under a grand and take his pick. Drudge's web site is as good a starting point as any for most purposes in that it links to many newspapers and columnists, and it's a hell of a lot easier than driving around to twenty different American cities in the morning to buy twenty different newspapers.

When the Kosovo operation was going on, at least for the first month and a half or thereabouts, there was better information on Russian web sites [yes, I do speak and read Russian, blatherskyte, and there are much bigger words in Russian than there are in English] than there was in any of the western media and it was possible to learn early on that Wesley Clark's high-altitude bombing campaign was harming nothing other than paper-mache decoy trucks and tanks.

Again, that sort of thing is enabled by the internet age and was not possible 15 years ago.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 05:17 pm
C'mon swolf, you know you've been getting your info from The Mudville Gazette
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 05:19 pm
i understand what you're saying. but, in my research i find that nearly every site, posting etc. has an agenda driven slant. factcheck.com seems to be non-partisan.

as you say, you must sift through it all and form an opinion based on the info you get.

example: the after action report for the day that kerry pulled rassman out doesn't seem to have been signed. o'neill ( who wasn't there, btw) says it's crap. kerry says it's true.

there's a saying that i refer to often;

"there's three sides to every story. your side, my side, and the truth".

so we are still left wondering, " who does tell the truth?"
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 05:40 pm
swolfie

You lay yourself wide open with posts such as the one that preceded mine. You might well read and speak Russian, or even !Kung, but your understanding of academic rigor in journalism (Drudge!) puts you in a highly satirizable category.
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 05:45 pm
blatham wrote:
swolfie

You lay yourself wide open with posts such as the one that preceded mine. You might well read and speak Russian, or even !Kung, but your understanding of academic rigor in journalism (Drudge!) puts you in a highly satirizable category.

Nobody is talking about "academic rigor" here; the question was where do you turn for reliable news if not the leftwing axis of NY Times, Wash Post, and LA Times. I mentioned Drudge as a starting point and also noted that you have to have multiple sources for news and information.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 05:48 pm
Drudge is not 'news'.

Gossip, lies, innuendo but certainly not news.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste, buddy.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 05:52 pm
swolf wrote:
blatham wrote:
swolfie

Nobody is talking about "academic rigor" here; the question was where do you turn for reliable news if not the leftwing axis of NY Times, Wash Post, and LA Times. I mentioned Drudge as a starting point and also noted that you have to have multiple sources for news and information.

But academic rigor is EXACTLY AND ONLY what you and I ought to be talking about. Without it, journalism stinks and becomes nothing more than old gossips talking over the fence, or slime tossed out by those who have no care nor respect for accuracy or truth.

Hurrah for the WS Journal and hurrah for the NY Times. Hurrah for multiple viewpoints. But let's put an arrow through the heart of cheapshit and scummy "journalism".
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 06:01 pm
blatham wrote:
But academic rigor is EXACTLY AND ONLY what you and I ought to be talking about. Without it, journalism stinks and becomes nothing more than old gossips talking over the fence, or slime tossed out by those who have no care nor respect for accuracy or truth.

Hurrah for the WS Journal and hurrah for the NY Times. Hurrah for multiple viewpoints. But let's put an arrow through the heart of cheapshit and scummy "journalism".

a good point, that one. it seems to me that, in general, virtually the entire media has given up on the investigative reporting of the woodward and bernstein ( for lack of another immediate reference) type. i honestly believe that for the first time, the media is afraid of the white house. even if it's only a fear of being bounced from the pool. they don't seem to do much better with the opposition.

"tattler" journalism? yuck...
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 07:29 pm
blatham wrote:

I assume you're talking about a sort of a subliminal desire to make newspapers into something like refereed journals. My question would be, why would you want to do that? Aren't you aware of the many problems inherent in the refereed journal system?

Aside from everything else, there are many problems which refereed journals refuse to touch and that is part of the problem with the axis of disinformation I mentioned, in that they slant the news as much or more so by the topics they refuse to deal with or print as by those they do.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 07:48 pm
Volunteer links anti-Kerry flier to GOP
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER
Friday, August 20, 2004 ยท Last updated 6:26 p.m. PT
Volunteer links anti-Kerry flier to GOP
By PETE YOST
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

CRAWFORD, Texas -- A volunteer for John Kerry said Friday he picked up a flier in a Bush-Cheney campaign office in Gainesville, Fla., promoting Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, a group the Bush campaign has insisted for weeks it has no connection to.

The Kerry campaign e-mailed the flier to news organizations Friday, declaring that the Bush-Cheney campaign was "busted" for coordinating "in their smear campaign against John Kerry."

At Bush-Cheney campaign headquarters outside Washington, spokesman Steve Schmidt said: "The Bush-Cheney campaign has nothing to do with that piece of paper. ... I don't know how it showed up at the campaign headquarters."

"The Bush-Cheney campaign would object to any flier like this being displayed in any Republican headquarters," said Schmidt. He characterized the campaign operation in Gainesville where the flier was found as county GOP offices used by Bush-Cheney volunteers.

The flier distributed at Alachua County Republican Party headquarters promotes a weekend rally sponsored by "Swift Boat Vets for Truth" and other groups.

Bill Shilling, a Kerry volunteer in Gainesville, says he went to the GOP offices there Thursday and picked up the flier from a pile of literature on the table.

"The flier they gave me was on the same table as some Bush-Cheney bumper stickers," said Shilling. "I asked them if the Swift boat veterans were coming to Gainesville, and the woman I talked to said yes."

Shilling said he went back to Kerry headquarters and turned over the flier.

"I thought there was supposed to be some separation between Bush-Cheney and the Swift boat controversy but I didn't understand there was a big deal about this," said Shilling. "I think this whole thing attacking Kerry's war record is a diversion by Bush-Cheney from the real issues of the campaign."

Financed by a Texas businessman with longtime ties to prominent Republicans in the state, including President Bush, Swift Boat Veterans for Truth sponsored an ad featuring several Vietnam veterans who accuse Kerry of lying about the circumstances surrounding events for which he won his medals. Kerry received a Silver Star, Bronze Star and three Purple Hearts while in Vietnam.

The anti-Kerry group distributed a second commercial to the news media and said it would begin airing the ad next week in Pennsylvania, Nevada and New Mexico, the last a state Bush plans to visit next Thursday. The ad intersperses clips of a youthful Kerry talking about war atrocities during an appearance before Congress in 1971 with images of veterans condemning his testimony.

The Kerry campaign filed a complaint with the Federal Election Commission alleging Swift Boat Veterans for Truth was illegally coordinating its efforts with the Bush-Cheney campaign.

The Kerry campaign cited recent press reports and the group's own statements. The Bush campaign denied the allegation, as did the organization that aired the ad.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 07:52 pm
BBB, here's the flyer your post refers to:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/images/pr/swiftboat.jpg
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 07:54 pm
Swiftboat officer serving with Kerry confirms Cambodia facts
Elliott 'Skip' Barker, a Swiftboat officer who served with Senator John Kerry, responds to the controversy over John Kerry's service in Cambodia...Kerry was there.
Talk Radio News Service Fri Aug 20 17:14:00 MDT 2004

Tape of broadcast:
http://www.talkradionews.com/mediafiles/1881.mp3
0 Replies