Media finally investigating Bush Swift Boat smear of Kerry

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 09:56 am
Be sure to read the complete story; the truth is finally coming out about Bush's disgusting phony smear campaign. ---BBB

Friendly Fire: The Birth of an Anti-Kerry Ad
By KATE ZERNIKE and JIM RUTENBERG
Published: August 20, 2004
New York Times

After weeks of taking fire over veterans' accusations that he had lied about his Vietnam service record to win medals and build a political career, Senator John Kerry shot back yesterday, calling those statements categorically false and branding the people behind them tools of the Bush campaign.

His decision to take on the group directly was a measure of how the group that calls itself Swift Boat Veterans for Truth has catapulted itself to the forefront of the presidential campaign. It has advanced its cause in a book, in a television advertisement and on cable news and talk radio shows, all in an attempt to discredit Mr. Kerry's war record, a pillar of his campaign.

How the group came into existence is a story of how veterans with longstanding anger about Mr. Kerry's antiwar statements in the early 1970's allied themselves with Texas Republicans.

Mr. Kerry called them "a front for the Bush campaign" - a charge the campaign denied.

A series of interviews and a review of documents show a web of connections to the Bush family, high-profile Texas political figures and President Bush's chief political aide, Karl Rove.

Records show that the group received the bulk of its initial financing from two men with ties to the president and his family - one a longtime political associate of Mr. Rove's, the other a trustee of the foundation for Mr. Bush's father's presidential library. A Texas publicist who once helped prepare Mr. Bush's father for his debate when he was running for vice president provided them with strategic advice. And the group's television commercial was produced by the same team that made the devastating ad mocking Michael S. Dukakis in an oversized tank helmet when he and Mr. Bush's father faced off in the 1988 presidential election.

The strategy the veterans devised would ultimately paint John Kerry the war hero as John Kerry the "baby killer" and the fabricator of the events that resulted in his war medals. But on close examination, the accounts of Swift Boat Veterans for Truth' prove to be riddled with inconsistencies. In many cases, material offered as proof by these veterans is undercut by official Navy records and the men's own statements.

Several of those now declaring Mr. Kerry "unfit" had lavished praise on him, some as recently as last year.

In an unpublished interview in March 2003 with Mr. Kerry's authorized biographer, Douglas Brinkley, provided by Mr. Brinkley to The New York Times, Roy F. Hoffmann, a retired rear admiral and a leader of the group, allowed that he had disagreed with Mr. Kerry's antiwar positions but said, "I am not going to say anything negative about him." He added, "He's a good man."

In a profile of the candidate that ran in The Boston Globe in June 2003, Mr. Hoffmann approvingly recalled the actions that led to Mr. Kerry's Silver Star: "It took guts, and I admire that."

George Elliott, one of the Vietnam veterans in the group, flew from his home in Delaware to Boston in 1996 to stand up for Mr. Kerry during a tough re-election fight, declaring at a news conference that the action that won Mr. Kerry a Silver Star was "an act of courage." At that same event, Adrian L. Lonsdale, another Vietnam veteran now speaking out against Mr. Kerry, supported him with a statement about the "bravado and courage of the young officers that ran the Swift boats."

"Senator Kerry was no exception," Mr. Lonsdale told the reporters and cameras assembled at the Charlestown Navy Yard. "He was among the finest of those Swift boat drivers."

Those comments echoed the official record. In an evaluation of Mr. Kerry in 1969, Mr. Elliott, who was one of his commanders, ranked him as "not exceeded" in 11 categories, including moral courage, judgment and decisiveness, and "one of the top few" - the second-highest distinction - in the remaining five. In written comments, he called Mr. Kerry "unsurpassed," "beyond reproach" and "the acknowledged leader in his peer group."

The Admiral Calls

It all began last winter, as Mr. Kerry was wrapping up the Democratic nomination. Mr. Lonsdale received a call at his Massachusetts home from his old commander in Vietnam, Mr. Hoffmann, asking if he had seen the new biography of the man who would be president.

Mr. Hoffmann had commanded the Swift boats during the war from a base in Cam Ranh Bay and advocated a search-and-destroy campaign against the Vietcong - the kind of tactic Mr. Kerry criticized when he was a spokesman for Vietnam Veterans Against the War in 1971. Shortly after leaving the Navy in 1978, he was issued a letter of censure for exercising undue influence on cases in the military justice system.

Click on page 2 at the bottom of the article to continue the full story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/20/politics/campaign/20swift.html?hp
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,948 • Replies: 85
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 10:04 am
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 10:10 am
Kerry is 'firing' back but has yet to answer any of the charges, he's deflecting because he is scared to death.

His campaign is built on a house of cards and he knows it.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 10:13 am
when it comes to houses of cards , both camps seem to have a lot more jokers than aces.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 10:13 am
Unfit for bookstores
Just for once, I would like to see the Bush family's history of using disgusting smear tactics to gain and retain political power for their family dynasty exposed by the Media. Maybe this time, Bush has gone too far and their latest smear campaign against Kerry and other military service veterans will backfire on them. Have they no shame? ---BBB

Unfit for bookstores
The Kerry campaign calls on a conservative publisher to withdraw book after the Washington Post torpedoes the veracity of a Swift boat veteran.
By Eric Boehlert
Media Matters
Aug. 19, 2004 |

The Kerry campaign has told Salon that the publisher of "Unfit for Command," the book that is at the center of the attack on Kerry's military record by the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, is retailing a hoax and should consider withdrawing it from bookstores.

"No publisher should want to be selling books with proven falsehoods in them, especially falsehoods that are meant to smear the military service of an American veteran," said Kerry campaign spokesman Chad Clanton. "If I were them, I'd be ducking under my desk wondering what to do. This is a serious problem."

Even some uncomfortable Republicans might breathe a sigh a relief if "Unfit for Command" were to vanish from bookstores: "I don't think the Swift Boat Veterans are helping the Republican cause," Rep. Christopher Shays, R-Conn., remarked on CNN Thursday.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 10:17 am
Brand X wrote:
Kerry is 'firing' back but has yet to answer any of the charges, he's deflecting because he is scared to death.

His campaign is built on a house of cards and he knows it.

There is nothing to answer, the accusations are bogus and the official record speaks for itself.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 10:17 am
Well, you know Kerry has stopped publication of another book before. You remember his early '70's tome, 'The New Soldier,' the one with the idiots carrying the American flag upside down! I wonder why he wouldn't want that one to be in the bargain bin at Barnes and Noble...
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 10:49 am
Brand X is wrong again re Kerry's book
Brand X wrote:
Well, you know Kerry has stopped publication of another book before. You remember his early '70's tome, 'The New Soldier,' the one with the idiots carrying the American flag upside down! I wonder why he wouldn't want that one to be in the bargain bin at Barnes and Noble...

It seems you are wrong again, Brand X. The following books by John Kerry are still for sale at Amazon.com, including the "New Soldier" you wrongly claim was pulled by Kerry.

Advertised as of 8/20/04 on Amazon.Com:

New Soldier
by John Kerry, David Thorne (Editor)
Availability: Usually ships within 1-2 business days
Edition: Paperback

Other books by John Kerry available via Amazon.com:

A Call to Service by John Kerry
John Kerry (It's Happening to U.S.)
The New War by John Kerry
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 11:38 am
Good! I'm glad I was wrong, peolple need to see it, especially now.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 11:47 am
Brand X wrote:

Why don't you get some war comic collectors together and form a citizen group to make sure of it? I'm sure you could find a few rich bush campaign contributors to fund it.....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 11:50 am
Bad Bear . . . Brand X may be partisan to a degree which you do not like, but he always behaves the gentleman in his exchanges here . . .

He cannot help it if he is a horribly mutated wabbit . . .
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 11:51 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Brand X wrote:

Why don't you get some war comic collectors together and form a citizen group to make sure of it? I'm sure you could find a few rich bush campaign contributors to fund it.....

The irony is the same amount of fiction would be found in both Kerry's war stories and the comics themselves.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 11:54 am
Setanta wrote:
Bad Bear . . . Brand X may be partisan to a degree which you do not like, but he always behaves the gentleman in his exchanges here . . .

He cannot help it if he is a horribly mutated wabbit . . .

I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about......ya try to post a helpful suggestion....<<harumph>> :wink:
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 11:55 am
Laughing
0 Replies

Karzak

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 11:59 am
Re: Brand X is wrong again re Kerry's book
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

It seems you are wrong again, Brand X. The following books by John Kerry are still for sale at Amazon.com, including the "New Soldier" you wrongly claim was pulled by Kerry.

LOL, I hope all your research isn't this poor, "new soldier" was pulled, try to actually buy it at amazon!
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 12:01 pm
de nile...

http://www.root.or.jp/nanta/etiopia/etiopia-image/blue-nile.JPG

My suggestion to some of you demmunists watching in dismay as the gigolo's campaign implodes here would be to ask yourselves how you (and the demmy party) came to such a pass.

The basic answer is that the dem party HAD more viable candidates than the gigolo (not that any RATIONAL person would vote for but easily more viable), but that the Clinton blackops squads torpedoed all of them to keep the way clear for H. Clinton's run for it in 08.

As you watch the dem party being swept into the trash bins of history in a 50-state blowout this november, remember to say

"Thank you, Slick!".
0 Replies

Karzak

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 12:05 pm
Will, if kerry wins hillary has to delay her bid to 2012, so the clintons put up someone that made slick willy look like a saint.

Scarey Kerry quite contrary, how did your service go?
0 Replies

braindonor

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 12:08 pm
There are 5 copies of New Soldier available on Amazon, starting at $475. Kerry does not want the book read. He may not now believe any of what he wrote back then (if he indeed believes anything), but it is safe to say that it would be embarrasing to him.

The idea that Unfit for Command should be pulled, while Mike Moore's 911 is left alone (and incredibly gets good reviews from some mainstream critics) is amazing.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 12:10 pm
I am sure going to enjoy posting to this thread in a few months, say November 4th. Theres gonna be some good old-fashioned shoe eating...
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 12:11 pm
Aha, thanks for that, doesn't sound like a bargain bin price at all.
0 Replies