• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 813 • Replies: 7
No top replies

mac11

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 10:14 pm
Certificate of Merit

This certifies that Frank W. Wilson has set the entire School a good example by making 100% or the perfect record from Sept (short for September) 20 1936 to Dec (short for December) 20 1936. This places the holder's name upon The Honor Roll and calls for this well-earned recognition for faithfulness and loyal co-operation with the School.

J. E. Wilkerson, Rev. (short for Reverend)
Director

W. J. Hadley
1st Lt. ????? (I can't make this out)
Commanding Officer
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 10:14 pm
"This certifies that Frank W. Wilson has set the entire School a good example by making '100%' or the perfect record from Sept 20 (September) 1936 to Dec 20 (December) 1936. This places the holder's name upon The Honor Roll and calls for this well-earned recognition for faithfulness and loyal co-operation with the School.

J. E. Wilkerson (can't make out that abbreviation--but it may Res, meaning Reserve)

W. J. Hadley 1st Lt (First Lieutenant) . . . something . . . Res (Reserve)"

The abbreviations used by the signatories after their names seem to refer to a military reserve organization--that is, part-time soldiers who take standard basic training, and the go to a weekend training session once a month, and an annual training exercise of one or two weeks. I suspect this certificate was issued to a trainee for perfect attendance upon training classes during basic training, or AIT (advanced individual training).
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 04:45 am
Sorry for being late. Because my area got a blackout today, and now just recovered.

The handwriting "W" really got me tongue-tied.

I wonder if there are some sites which particularly introduce such kind of handwritings.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 08:15 pm
It's a very unusual script, oristar. I think it was easy for me because Wilson is just a common surname.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 08:46 pm
The handwritten portion above the signatures was done by someone other than the signatories, and the style is one which was taught in school in America right up to the 1950's. (I don't remember what it is called, but we had to copy out this style of handwriting--we had classes in penmanship.) I would suggest that a secretary or another member of the office staff known for good penmanship was the person who filled in the certificate before it was signed. I don't believe penmanship has been taught in American schools since the 1950's. Most young people i meet don't even know what a fountain pen is.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 05:17 am
That style of handwriting is called Copperplate (don't ask me why) - when i was at school an italic style was taught, nowadays they teach a simple roundhand style.

A Calligraphy site would show you the various styles.
0 Replies

Eos

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 09:15 am
I think it's
J. E. Wilkerson, res (reserve)
and
W. J. Hadley, MA res (Massacheusetts reserve).
0 Replies