Other universes?

agrote

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 04:27 am
nipok wrote:
the void of space, the canvas that these universes share...

I thought that was the universe - space, the canvas, and everything in it.

??!?!?!?!?! Confused
0 Replies

nipok

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 07:58 am
agrote wrote:
nipok wrote:
the void of space, the canvas that these universes share...

I thought that was the universe - space, the canvas, and everything in it.

??!?!?!?!?! Confused

Notice the use of the lower case universe to mean our significant universe. Our known universe. The spherical oblong shape of stars that we have attempted to map out with stellar cartography. The space time continuum created from a single cosmic event that included the eventual cosmic evolution of our solar system and our planet.

I agree it would be better to have a different word to represent "all we know" verses "all there is" but unfortunately too many people call our universe the Universe so universe seems to stick.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 01:18 pm
Spherical oblong shape?? So what's that like? Razz
0 Replies

Gold Barz

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 02:05 pm
but right now theres no evidence of anything outside our universe, we dont even know if our universe has an outside
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 03:42 pm
Or if it is a circumscribed "thing" with any shape at all.
0 Replies

Gold Barz

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 04:14 pm
basically, yeah
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 05:50 pm
How do we know that? What kind of evidence is there, or is it just an assumption?
0 Replies

Gold Barz

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 07:02 pm
i guess its just an assumption
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 08:02 pm
That's what you meant by "BASICALLY yes"? Smile
0 Replies

Gold Barz

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 08:57 pm
basically, yes lol
0 Replies

nipok

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 12:19 am
agrote wrote:
Spherical oblong shape?? So what's that like? Razz

AG,JLN, GB

Step back for a second. Instead of rushing to type, take a second to read.

The point being made was that we are talking about "The Universe" being different from "our universe". Again, I am not alone here, many others refer to the infinite Universe using the capital U and our known space time continuum created from our big bang as the lower case universe.

That was the point being made (very clearly I think).

>>>>> "The spherical oblong shape of stars that we have attempted to map out with stellar cartography."<<<<<<

Which part of this is specifically being questioned? Go to space.com or an encyclopedia and you can find a stellar map of that which we have been able to view so far. Again, type too quick, read too slow.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 02:44 pm
nipok wrote:
...type too quick, read too slow.

I'm sorry for not clarifying that I understand your distinction between our known universe and the infinite Universe, because I certainly do. To be perfectly hoenst the main topic of this thread doesn't particularly interest me, I am now only interested in picking up on little bits of what people are saying. I picked you up on the spherical oblong thing mainly because I found it amusing; aren't spherical and oblong two different shapes? Or have I made a mistake there?

Anyway, despite not saying so in my previous post, I did understand yoru point about capital U's and whatnot. And if I type too fast it's because I want to make more time to spend posting on the threads that interest me more. I perhaps shouldn't touch this thread if it doesn't interest me, but I've started now, I can't help but carry on.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 01:14 pm
Nipok, Agrote has more or less expressed my view on the matter, but I w ant to stress that I thought you were referring to an oblong Universe, not just to characteristics of the observable universe. The latter is subject to empirical confirmation, not metaphysical speculation.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 07:19 am
discussion of the universe (our known) makes some sense, as we observe it, and can speculate upon what is currently not fully understood; but, discussion of other parts of the 'Ultiverse' is strictly wild speculation, as there is no evidence, or chance of finding evidence related to universes (not ours) that are beyond our observation capacities.

[we could say that speculation on the nature of our universe beyond what is currently known is 'Science Fiction'; and speculation on other onobserved, or experienced in any way, universes is pure 'Fantasy'!]
0 Replies

nipok

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 07:49 am
BoGoWo wrote:
discussion of the universe (our known) makes some sense, as we observe it, and can speculate upon what is currently not fully understood; but, discussion of other parts of the 'Ultiverse' is strictly wild speculation, as there is no evidence, or chance of finding evidence related to universes (not ours) that are beyond our observation capacities.

[we could say that speculation on the nature of our universe beyond what is currently known is 'Science Fiction'; and speculation on other onobserved, or experienced in any way, universes is pure 'Fantasy'!]

YES.

There is no argument, nor do I think I (or we) were trying to explain what another universe was like. Questioning the existence of other (possibly an infinite number of other) universes would be more philosophy then fantasy or science fiction. Trying to toss around what is inside these universe in detail may be fiction but trying to toss around what is most likley in these universes based on the laws that we have been able to prove so far is philosophy.
0 Replies

Gold Barz

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 10:33 pm
we should call the known universe, our POST, a "quasi-verse"

but yeah i would hope that they exist, we probably wont know for a LONG time though
0 Replies

Gold Barz

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 05:21 pm
i think there are other Pockets Of Space Time, outside ours, i done think it would be infinite though as i see infinite as just a concept, but there would be ALOT of these POST's
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 10:36 am
Gold Barz wrote:
I think there are other Pockets Of Space Time, outside ours, i don't(ed) think it would be infinite though as i see infinite as just a concept, but there would be ALOT of these POST's

and what goldB, would be beyond them?
0 Replies

Gold Barz

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 02:41 pm
nothingness?, void?
0 Replies

Gold Barz

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 12:57 am
i agree with you and nipok though, that there are other universes/POST's
0 Replies