Other universes?

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 08:14 pm
I am not talking about parallel universes or even multiverses, i am talking about universes that are completely separated and different from this one, like they have different laws of nature, different laws of physics, and not infinite

you think they exist?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,255 • Replies: 86
No top replies

Owennu3

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 11:10 pm
There's no real way to speculate either way. But I would like to think there are planes of existence in which we have not comprehended yet.
0 Replies

nipok

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 11:32 pm
Re: Other universes?
Gold Barz wrote:
I am not talking about parallel universes or even multiverses, i am talking about universes that are completely separated and different from this one, like they have different laws of nature, different laws of physics, and not infinite, you think they exist?

I am pretty sure that not only are there other universes similar to ours and other universes different from ours but I would go so far as to say that I feel there is very likely an infinite number of universes similar to ours and an infinite number of universes different from ours.

I don't see them as parallel universes which may exist if you have an infinite number of universes but that's a whole other concept I don't even want to touch.

And for now lets even leave out the possibility that there could be universes inside of atoms.

Lets just take universes that may exist similar in size to our current universe. To conceptualize it, think Universe with a capital U being something much larger and much older than our known universe with a little u. This Universe is the backdrop or canvas that our little spec of dust universe exists inside of. It has its own SpaceTime continuum that exists outside the spacetime continuum that we see inside our known universe. It has no beginning and no end. It has no first second of existence or last second of existence. It has no boundaries or edges. It has existed for all time and will exist for all time. Unlike our universe that had a first second and will have a last second and although it is expanding does have boundaries or edges.

If you can accept the possibility or probability that such a SpaceTime continuum exists then if you were to pick any point on the outermost edge of our known universe and continue outwards in a straight line I submit it is impossible not to run into another separate universe. I'd go so far as to say that if you continued on this straight line you would run through an infinite number of separate unique universes. Each with its own first second and last second and habitable planets and multitudes of stars and moons and species.

As far as some being the same and some being different that was per your request to question the laws of nature and laws of physics. I submit that many of the constants we have are most likely to be constant in many other universes and many of our laws of nature are most likely to be similar in other universes but it is logical to assume that conditions much different than ours may very well exist and depending on the nature of those conditions it is very likely that things that we think are constant such as the permeability of free space, Boyle's or Charles' Laws, possibly the speed of light and speed of sound or who knows what else may not hold true in a universe created under more intense pressure or less intense pressure than ours.

I happen to think our big bang was caused by the collision of two atoms. I happen to think there are an infinite number of subparticles smaller than a lepton. I happen to think that when 2 atoms bounce off each other in natural flux that instead of atoms bouncing it is really the outer two electron shells bouncing and if those electrons are made up of something smaller than in fact the electrons don't bounce off each other but in actuality the particles that make up the electron bounce off each other. If these subparticles are in fact made up of smaller subparticles (which in contrary to popular opinion is just as feasible as string theory) then when two atoms bounce off each other it is actually the subparticles that make up the subparticles that make up the etc. etc that actually bounce off each other. SO , we know that atoms behave differently. Atoms inside our sun collide with each other much harder, much more often, and much faster than atoms inside a block of ice at our north pole. It is for that reason that I feel there could be universes much different in physical make up and physical laws and physical constants than what we observe to be true inside our speck of dust we call a universe.

That's my 2 cents
Rebate forms are available upon request (while supplies last)
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 04:39 pm
Doesn't "uni" mean 'one'??? Confused

I mean, wasn't it called that because there's supposed to only be one of them? There might be other bits of the universe, you know, with different laws of physics and whatnot, or whatever, but surely whatever there is has to be part of what we call 'the universe'?

Isn't 'universe' sort of the collective name for absolutely everything?
0 Replies

Gold Barz

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 07:38 pm
i dont believe in parallel or infinite universes, didnt stephen hawkings black holes mistake already disproved of that
0 Replies

nipok

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 07:57 pm
agrote wrote:
Doesn't "uni" mean 'one'??? Confused

I mean, wasn't it called that because there's supposed to only be one of them? There might be other bits of the universe, you know, with different laws of physics and whatnot, or whatever, but surely whatever there is has to be part of what we call 'the universe'?

Isn't 'universe' sort of the collective name for absolutely everything?

I didn't make it up. Others before me have used the concept of uppercase U and lower case u to distinguish between the entire Universe and our known universe. I agree 'UNI' means one but since I was not yet that far along building my house of cards in this forum I was keeping it simple but since you asked ....

Simply put replace every concept you have of the word universe as it relates to all we know about the stars, galaxies, big bang, and our speck of dust that is 70 billion light years across and still growing with the term OSU. Then replace every concept you have of the word universe as it relates to all we know about the atom, electrons, muons, leptons, quarks, photons, bosons etc.. and call that our ISU.

OSU is our outer significant universe and pertains to all we can see or know about our known universe based primarily on the scientific precision of the instruments we use to view it. As our precision gets more advanced so does our knowledge of our outer significant universe. Our ISU is our inner significant universe and pertains to all we can see or known about the inner working of molecules and atoms. As our scientific precision increases in either direction we expand our knowledge in that area and in essence our ISO or OSU or both "grows".

They are parts of the STEC. SpaceTimeEnergy Continuum. Our spacetime continuum relates only to our OSU. Accepting that our OSU may exist inside of a STEC and most definitely resides in a STC provides the foundation to understand why so many brilliant minds keep putting band-aids on a wound that needs staples or stitches.
0 Replies

Gold Barz

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 11:51 pm
i think there is only one universe
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 12:54 pm
Gold Barz, I agree, and if it should turn out that there are 10 universes, I will consider them the ten segments of the unitary Universe.

By the way, I find Nipok's comments to be almost always edifying and stimulating. Hang in there Nipok. Your erudition is delightfully free of pretense.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 06:02 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Gold Barz, I agree, and if it should turn out that there are 10 universes, I will consider them the ten segments of the unitary Universe.

Yes! That's exactly what I meant when I said, "Isn't 'universe' sort of the collective name for absolutely everything?"

Nipok, I wasn't actually adressing you in particular when I made that last post, in fact I hadn't actually read your post, so you seem to think I might have been commenting on your post in some way, but I wasn't. But anyway, yes your ideas in this case are familiar, the macro-micro thing. String theorists wouldn't believe in that dualism though between the outer and inner universes - they want to unify general relativity and quantum mechanics so that we can think of the outer and inner universes as one universe. Universe is the word we want to use to describe everything, so for there to be a theory of the whole universe there'd have to be a theory that made quantum mechanics and general relativity compatible. So I think your distinction between outer and inner maybe just comes fro mthe fact that we haven't quite done that yet - but jsut because the theories we've come up with to describe the inner and the outer don't click together, that doesn't mean that the 'inner' and 'outer' aren't one and the same thing: the universe.

I still have a problem with the idea of other universes simply because I think 'universe' is the wrong word to use. How about other 'worlds'? I've always thought the universe is basically the word used to describe everything that there is, so if there's another 'universe' then really that's still the same universe. I also, again, could do with something to back up all your 'happen to think's, because without some sort of evidence or logic to back them up, they're fairly meaningless. I could tell you that I happen to think that the sea will swallow us all up shortly, but without explaining why I think that or presenting some evidence that the sea is going to swallow us all up, I'm really just talking crap.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 06:38 pm
I do like the distinction between lower and upper case "U". If there are multiple universes and they interact, if they are interdependent in some ways, they together comprise the Universe. If they do not interact, if what happens in one has absolutely no effect on the other, then we, in our universe, can consider the other universes to be, for all practical purposes, non-existent. In such a case we might even refer to our universe as The Universe.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 07:01 pm
If the phrase "completely separated" means the lack of any kind of communication or influence in the past, present, or the future, then you have no need of thinking about them.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 08:22 pm
Yes, Satt...That's part of my point.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 08:25 pm
JLNobody wrote:
If they do not interact, if what happens in one has absolutely no effect on the other, then we, in our universe, can consider the other universes to be, for all practical purposes, non-existent. In such a case we might even refer to our universe as The Universe.

Agreed.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 09:38 am
In the (i suggest) "Ultiverse" (being the sum of all the infinite collection of universes, of which we are able to observe one) everything will exist.

[everything is a more sophisticated concept than common usage of the word would imply, but in an infinite ultiverse we must have absolutely 'everything'!]
0 Replies

Gold Barz

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 10:47 pm
i dont think that the universe is infinite and if there were other universes (or other segments of the universes)i dont think the amount wil be inifnite niether, i dont know why people are so quick to type "infinite" down, limitless is much better
0 Replies

nipok

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 01:24 am
I think I tried to make a coherent argument to validate an infinite universe in another thread that many of us have been corresponding in.
I've read it again and I am too tired to tell if it makes sense or not. It starts here and continuues on.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/about28765-0-asc-260.html

I suppose when all the flames come in over the next few days I'll realize I should have gone to bed earlier.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 03:02 am
Gold Barz wrote:
i dont think that the universe is infinite and if there were other universes (or other segments of the universes)i dont think the amount wil be inifnite niether, i dont know why people are so quick to type "infinite" down, limitless is much better

Aren't 'infinite' and 'limitless' synonyms?
0 Replies

Gold Barz

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 07:48 pm
well infinite suggests everything while limitless suggests anything
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 08:47 pm
Pretty subtle distinction, all versus any (among the all). This suggests that the possibilities are unlimited UNTIL everything has been considered. But if there's no end to the everything, the possibilies are truly limitless. Uh?
But is limitless a subset of infinite?
0 Replies

nipok

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 10:09 pm
Gold Barz wrote:
well infinite suggests everything while limitless suggests anything

But towards the question at hand as far as it relates to the subject of this thread, "Other Universes?" does limitless or infinite mean anything different? Is our known universe the only one of its kind or are there others like it that started from their own cosmic event or big bang? If the void of space, the canvas that these universes share, is infinite or limitless it still carries with it the acceptance that starting at the outer edge of our space time pocket (created from our big bang) you can go outwards in an infinite number of directions with no limit for an infinite distance.
0 Replies