Why So Many Racists Don’t Think They’re Racist

ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2016 05:47 pm
@Miller,
what?
ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2016 06:00 pm
@ossobuco,
I lived gang adjacent for many years. Will one block or two do, re murders, for you as counting that I was there?

I also knew people in the area back then, as Venice (CA) had people connecting, had meetings, and so on.

Now the place has wildly changed. Both my ex and I miss the old Venice; now it is techville.

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2016 05:17 am
@Foofie,
"Condescending" can be a "polite" form of expressing racism.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2016 05:19 am
@Miller,
And that's racism, how? Gangs predate on their own cultural groups first no matter what race the gang belongs.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2016 12:58 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

"Condescending" can be a "polite" form of expressing racism.

O.K. But we can't just wish attitudes go away. They just go underground. Do we want a society where people are smiling to one's face, and then saying pejoratives behind one's back? It might be better for a recipient of pejorative attitudes to be able to discern who in a sincere friend, for a frenemy.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 04:37 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

...if tomorrow most Jewish people decided to pray to Jesus, many Gentiles would be quite confused. Chaos would result whenever a Gentile interacted with a Jewish person.

At Christmas time, there are liberal Jews in the US , who buy and decorate Christmas trees, merely for the joy of celebrating the Holiday, as opposed to the Holy Day. Do most Gentiles worry about this? I doubt it...

However, I remember last Christmas, when the grocery man delivered our groceries to our door, I wished him a merry Christmas. He then looked at my Mezuzah, which was posted on the door post, and seemed a bit surprised/confused that I would say this.

So, I suspect as Foofie has stated, that some Gentiles are confused by the actions of Jewish folks. But why worry about it? I don't and if at Christmas time, my dog's Vet ( or any other gentile person )wishes me a merry Christmas with a doubful look on his/her face, I don't get anxious, red in the face or upset by it, I just say ,"Merry Christmas" back.

Why worry? Be joyful, have peace in your heart, and just try to get along with others as best you can...
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2016 07:16 am
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2016 01:33 pm
@Miller,
My point was just that too much change, in a short span of time, can result in society getting confused, and chaos resulting. So, without changing attitudes, the lesson might just be how to not "act out" one's attitudes. In other words, some people need to learn how to act, so we can all be cosmopolitan.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2016 06:38 am
@Foofie,
I dunno, foofie. Racism didn't really get hot in the US until after Wilson segregated the armed forces, more than fifty years after the Civil War and Emancipation.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2016 08:18 am
Point one, Racism is natural nevermind the tabu about admiting it.
Point two, racism is a shortcut to avoid dealing with social complexity.
Point three, racism does not fit a global world.

Finally yes people are not all alike, they are different, but different doesn't mean better or worse.

...and yes most people dont have a clue they are racist and tribal....starting with those that make a huge judgmental distintion between the ones they coin as being racist and those that "behave".
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2016 12:21 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

However, I remember last Christmas, when the grocery man delivered our groceries to our door, I wished him a merry Christmas. He then looked at my Mezuzah, which was posted on the door post, and seemed a bit surprised/confused that I would say this.

Christmas might be the wrong holiday to make my point. What can be wrong about celebrating the birth of a Jewish baby for either faith?
Miller

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2016 10:30 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

What can be wrong about celebrating the birth of a Jewish baby for either faith?

That's probably what the "Jews for Jesus" group thinks....
Foofie

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 10:58 am
@Miller,
I have no idea what they think.
0 Replies