What does that make me?

gezzy

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 02:12 am
Smart move Wilso. At least you went to take a look. If an agent told me there were 6 properties for sale on the same street, I wouldn't have even bothered taking the trip. I respect your choice and the reasons are not impotant because your happiness is what matters. I feel that everyone should be completely content in their homes and with their neighborhood ;-)
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 03:17 am
what does that make you?

a sound investor.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 04:02 am
That's one thing I did get right. I got a buyer's price in a seller's market.

Unfortunately my own yard looks a little unkempt at the moment. My mower broke down on Saturday morning when I was half way through the job. Only 11 months old too!
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 04:06 am
guam has alot of property for sale at great discounts. counting my pennies and seeing what more debt i can afford.

care to move?

just got to put up with the typhoons and other assorted stuff.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 07:21 am
I am not completely sure how much predjudice is involved here, but, bottom line, if you believe you will be unsafe there you are making the right decision.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 07:35 am
Wilso- Buying a home is a very personal decision, that incorporates many factors, both practical and emotional. You did not feel comfortable in the neighborhood that you described, so you didn't buy there. Plain and simple.

My question for you is why do you come off sounding so guilty about your decision?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 10:40 am
Maybe he has those kinds of less-than-charitable thoughts about persons of color in times when the wisdom of such caution is not as evident, and the guilt found its voice with this housing incident.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 10:49 am
You're obviously going to get answers from the "PC police" here.
You did the right thing. If the whole street was for sale, and everyone's house looked trashed, you're not in good company.

You did the right thing, no matter if the "people" were a factor.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 10:51 am
I know! I know! It's Wilso's little tribute to MLK day, a little experiment showing the continuing pervasiveness of racism.

Right?

To be perfectly clear -- I have no problem with someone choosing not to live in an unsafe neighborhood. Of course. Fine. I AM concerned about those issues being so focused on the race of the inhabitants. If Wilso's question was about choosing not to live in an area full of car bodies and boarded-up windows, it's a no-brainer, duh, don't live there. But it was explicitly framed in terms of race.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 11:01 am
I normally stay away from these kind of discussions, as being an "ethnic minority" myself, I am kinda senstive to issues like these.

But I have to agree with Sozobe, bringing in the race of the people who inhabited that street was a bit undesirable - I am sure there are several localities where even the "white" people will make undesirable neighbours.

I used to live in Blackheath - a very very upmarket area of London, my house was well maintained, and neat and clean. The road was full of upmarket "white" executives types. Still someone scrawled "Go Home Paki" on my front drive.

It has nothing to do with PC Slappy, it is down right insulting - let us not forget that ANYONE can be of criminal mentality - it does not depend upon race.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 11:22 am
You're right...racism is very insulting, and I hate to see people victimized by it. Guess I answered thinking his decision was based more on the condition of the 'hood than race of the neighbors.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 12:13 pm
You know, about two miles form house (where I've lived for 25 years) there lie 'the projects'. Between the drug busts, the race clashes, the domestic melees and other things associated with the neighborhood, I classify this as a "white trash" neighborhood. Is everyone there a heroin shooting moron? No. Do I still consider it a white trash neighborhood? Yes. Why?

The same reason that Gautam defines a neighborhood as "upmarket "white" executives types". Right wrong or indifferent - everyone bases decisions on knowledge gained from prior experience.

I wouldn't live in the Roxbury projects either, which is a black neighborhood. Does that make me a racist? Maybe. As a white woman, I wouldn't have a prayer in the world over there - but then the sword cuts both ways.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 12:47 pm
I don't think anybody would actually want to live in the Roxbury projects.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 04:41 pm
Hey Slappy, you sure toned down...
Why don't you try some of the brand of humor that made you such a laugh-a-minute over on ABUZZ?

Get religion?

Get common sense?

Get over yourself?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 04:44 pm
Geez, can't we let sleepilng dogs lie? Anyway, Slappy's always had his serious side - usually autos and physical conditioning.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 04:48 pm
Yeah actually was gonna PM Slappy but will now do it in public that I'm really enjoying seeing more of the multi-faceted Slappy. Humor plus substance. Nice combo.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 05:02 pm
Hey! It's everyone's favorite gold medal winner for life, Snood.

Actually, I'm the same as I am on Abuzz...I'll still make fun of you for being a jackass.

Sorry to disappoint you, I just figured I'd keep my racial jokes quiet for now.

Roger, don't forget about midget sex, too. I'm always serious about the hot wee sex.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 05:06 pm
(I just knew midget sex would come up if I got too maudlin. That or the latest adventures of Slappy's mom...)
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 06:51 pm
I'm not feeling guilty. But with the situation going on in the world now I find myself constantly questioning myself with regards to prejudices etc.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 08:23 pm
Questioning is good.
0 Replies