physical exam

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 02:19 pm
Any insights to provide on a adult first physical exam?

never been there, never done that, and too many fiction on Physical exams and is driving the person insane

Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,012 • Replies: 9
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 03:01 pm
It's not much different from a child's physical, far as I can recall.

For women - one thing you get is a Pap smear or at least you should. Then again, teens can get Pap smears. Plus a talk about birth control if that hasn't already been covered.

For men - there may or may not be a prostate exam (I'm not up on men's physicals, seeing as I'm not a man).

Either gender may be checked for cholesterol or at any rate should be. Pretty much anyone going to a physical should insist on full blood work, including a starving blood test (this means you don't eat the night before; it's to check your blood sugar levels).

Dunno what else, as my first adult physical was a ways back.
0 Replies

newtoexam

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 03:17 pm
Thank you for the reply..... that helps...... but still dont look forward to it. i guess it include not liking the "atmosphere" "Nature" and "Knowing whats wrong if any" whihc is the worst thing why someone decides to not have one. If it wasnt a job requirement, this would still be postponed probably.

thank you anyways
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 03:30 pm
Yeah, I hate going for physicals, but I have to, due to medical conditions. It's really not that bad. The thoughts about it that you put on yourself are actually worse than the exam itself. Smile Just as a footnote, my grandmother died because she didn't like doctors. Just ignore your feelings and do it, especially if it's for a job.
0 Replies

newtoexam

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 03:37 pm
Ouch Thanks to Ontario Canada Reply and regrets.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 03:42 pm
Yeah, well, it's an imperfect world. Just go do it.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 03:45 pm
First you'll be handed a pen and a three or four page form about your medical history. If you're the casual type, you might sit down before your appointment and double check dates: when did you break your arm? when did you have childhood diseases? when was your last physical?

Then the basic get accquainted stuff. The nurse will check your blood pressure. The doctor will listen to your heart and lungs and check ears, nose and throat. Then you'll stretch flat on the examination table and be poked and prodded for lumps in the abdomen.

Required for a job? Then the procedure will probably be a little more thorough than a send-this-child-to-camp check-up. After all, the company's HMO wants to suss you out as a medical risk.

These days labs and machines can be more informative than the guys in white coats. Depending on what the doctor learns from his listening and probing, he may recommend further tests. There will definitely be blood work.

You'll come away from the medical experience feeling a little undignified, but mild humiliation is good for the ego.
0 Replies

newtoexam

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 04:09 pm
thank you for the active replies.... a little bit more prepared now

Hmmm. undignified? How detail is it? Hope not as detailed as I Hear
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 04:21 pm
The hospital gown will probably be the most distressing part of your ordeal. With luck, you'll have a cloth gown with all strings attached.

Without luck you'll be forced to wear a flimsy, paper gown.

Good luck.
0 Replies

newtoexam

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 04:38 pm
thank you for the active replies.... a little bit more prepared now

Hmmm. undignified? How detail is it? Hope not as detailed as I Hear
0 Replies