Credit where credit is due: The Republican establishment deserves credit for repudiating Trump

Lash

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2016 12:40 pm
@Foofie,
I'm having a hard time believing that you've accurately expressed the dominating fear of whites re blacks. Maybe we should take a poll.
Foofie

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2016 02:07 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I'm having a hard time believing that you've accurately expressed the dominating fear of whites re blacks. Maybe we should take a poll.

You would have to make a histogram, with classes based on region, religion, age, etc. Lumping all sampling together is not statistically telling.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2016 11:15 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
There are significant differences between Clinton and Sanders that are important to me. They include.

- Foreign policy, interventionist wars and policy in the Israel/Palestine conflict.
- Single payer health care (which in the next decade will be a huge issue).
- Wall Street reform and regulation.
- Criminal justice.

I see no difference between Mrs. Clinton and Mr. Sanders on the matter of the Israel/Palestinian conflict.

I doubt there would be much difference regarding foreign policy either. It would be criminally negligent for a president to not use our military to protect American interests, and I can't see either candidate failing to do so.

"Single payer" is a meaningless slogan. No one on the Left even knows what it means.

I can see the difference regarding Wall Street though. That's an issue where the two candidates have legitimate differences.

How are they supposed to be different regarding criminal justice?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2016 01:09 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

End the fear; eliminate the hate.

White residents of Chicago rapidly moved from Chicago to the suburbs or different States, as Blacks began to integrate their neighborhoods during the 50s, 60s, 70s and so on.

Many of these White residents were Jewish. They left, not from fear of the Blacks themselves, but because of acute or near fatal loss of value in their real estate property ( i.e. their homes). The first Jews to move ( Southside) were able to receive the highest prices for the sale of their homes ( to Blacks). So the rush was on, to get out of the "neighborhood".

I've never heard of a Jewish hatred of Afro-Americans. The emphasis has always been on the tolerance of others, be it race, religion , education or wealth.

Perhaps hate does lead to fear, however fear can be caused by many, many things totally unrelated to hate.

Does Black fear of other Blacks ( urban areas, high levels of crime) lead to hatred? I don't thing so.

0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 07:35 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Just recently I have felt the need to say this again (after the parade of new Republicans speaking out against Trump's candidacy). We should give credit where credit is due to the parade of Republicans who stand above partisanship to oppose Trump's demagoguery. Many of them have been attacked as bigoted by the left in the past and several have shown very clearly that they do not stand with this crowd.

Trump is a disaster for Republicans but I've never had more respect for some of them after they put their necks out with nothing to gain and plenty to lose to oppose the popularity of the demagogue heading up their party at the moment.

These folks deserve credit, and this deserves saying again. It's a silver lining in the disaster that is 2016 for Republicans.
parados

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2016 09:12 am
@Robert Gentel,
Certainly some if not most of them do deserve credit but it is often hard to tell the difference between a principled stand and a self serving position they are hoping benefits themselves politically.

Ted Cruz - It would be hard to call his position one of principle that denounces Trump's stances on issues.
Susan Collins - Certainly she seems to be taking a principled stand but it doesn't seem to come with much political cost on her part.

That being said, anyone that opposes Trump's demagoguery in the manner Collins has does deserve respect.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2016 10:13 am
@parados,
Ted Cruz might well be self-serving but I have heard of over 100 Republicans taking a public stand against him and the overwhelming majority seem like principled stands.
parados

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2016 10:31 am
@Robert Gentel,
We can never truly know the motives of anyone. (Even Ted Cruz.)

It is most likely on principle for all those not holding office or running for office such as the 50 that just signed the letter against Trump's foreign policy stance. Those in the political arena leave the question open as to opportunism by distancing themselves the same as it could be opportunism by those that don't distance themselves. Without knowing for sure, you are correct that we should give them credit.

There has been speculation that the Bush family response to Trump has been more about personal animosity but lacking any evidence of that I would put them in the principled camp as well.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2016 11:02 am
I honestly feel most of them are thinking of the consequences of having Trump for President of the US. With Cruz it might be a combination of a personal grudge and a hope it will pay off down the road and he might actually feel Trump would be a horrible choice, a lot of them, to me, seem really sincere.
0 Replies