A2K Replaces Encyclopedia Britanica?

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 07:39 pm
I was just checking out some of the A2K forums I have never been to and came across a thread from last year where we could rate / review A2K to help boost search listing status. I know I'm late, but thought I'd try to do a review and see what happened.

I clicked the link provided and once I signed in I wasn't taken automatically to a review page, so I typed able2know into the search. One reference came up.

WOW! Did ya'll know A2K is referenced in "The Great Stakeout" by Steven Kartashev? Right up there with the ACLU, Associated Press, Encarta and Congress.

1 reference to able2know in this book:

1. on Page 291:
"... 1130; 1111 108`" Congress I' Session. H.R. 1157. 112] D. Clark. Legislation Would Change Rules on Access to Library Records. http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4992 113] Book and Library Community Statement Supporting The Freedom to Read Protection Act(H.R. 1157). Free Expression Network. May 15, 2003; ..."

Pretty neat, huh? Also, kinda scary to think some of the characters on here (Huh-Hummm - Bear, Gus, etc) might be reference material alongside Encarta!

I guess in a way, those that participated in the referenced thread could consider themselves PUBLISHED, so CONGRATULATIONS! Laughing

Not sure what it means when a public forum becomes reference material. Thoughts on this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 928 • Replies: 13
No top replies

squinney

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 07:45 pm
Ooops. Forgot to add that you can type able2know into the search on Amazon.com to see what I am talking about.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 08:04 pm
Squinney, I was inspired by your investigative work and decided to do some of my own.

I did a google image search for "Squinney"

Only one image came up....

http://www.whittleseyweb.com/whittlesey/images/Bullets/squinney_icon.gif

I thought you might like to make a copy for your room, or maybe sew the image on one of Bear's shirts.

It's kinda cool-lookin'
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 08:23 pm
Gus
Gus, have you tried entering gustavratzenhofer in Google. Four items come up.

I entered BumbleBeeBoogie and got four pages of stuff. Then I entered my real name and got eight pages of more stuff. Amazing.

BBB
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 05:20 am
Hey, Gus. Glad to see you're still here. :wink:

Not sure exactly what that picture is, but it looks like maybe squinney means... "covering the globe?" Hey, wait a minute. Is that a good thing?

The book, available on Amazon, is about 9/11. The writer used a thread from Able2Know as a reference. Since there were links within the thread, I'm not sure why he used the thread instead of following the links to the original source. Also, not sure what context he was using it in since I didn't read the book, only the reference page.

Now, I think it's a real eye opener to think authors, the press, at al, would use forum threads as references. Think of the implications. We all, each and every one of us, become authorities when we post here!

What power!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 05:23 am
Mmm...steak out....no need to cook....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 05:28 am
If the writerly types is usin' us as references, all i can say is that i have some beautiful brochures of lake front property in Florida which might interest them.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 05:42 am
Setanta - I also checked and it looks like larryBS hasn't been around here for a while.

Maybe he made it to the "Big Time" after this was published. Maybe he's moved on to bigger and better things. Maybe there's hope for all of us?

Well, okay, I said MAYBE!

(It's a little early for Steak Out, Cav. But now I can't wait til' lunch. Very Happy )
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 10:04 am
Was thinking about jespahs review of 2005 and remembered this.

Aint we somethin'?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 12:40 pm
Funky, I guess I missed this topic the first time around.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 10:38 pm
I've Googled for information on A2k questions and found that Google thinks A2K might be a source.

Ah, scholarship.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 11:09 pm
Once, I tried to find a good online price for Dreamfield Spaghetti. Naturally, Google referred me back to my own post.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 11:40 pm
Roger--=

Eeyore is a defeatist. Rats rule.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 12:05 am
He is trying to make you smile.
0 Replies