What made rommel die

J-B

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 07:36 pm
This is a question for me.
I know he was executed after the July Plot.
But in fact he even didnt have any involvement in that assassination.
I think Hitler must had knew that.
But why did he finally kill him-----his best general.
Was it true that Rommel had done something that made Hitler angry?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,098 • Replies: 7
No top replies

panzade

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 07:38 pm
i thought he commited suicide because he feared he would be shot by a firing squad. He might have even been given a choice.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 07:41 pm
i knew

But it WAS an execution, wasn't it?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 07:44 pm
To me suicide isn't an execution. But I've been known to make errors.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 08:52 pm
Erwin Rommel was implicated in the assassination plot against Hitler, and he was allowed to take his own life, and it was then reported that he had been killed on the road in Normandy. It is truely gruesome how the Nazis carried out their reprisals for the plot, but Rommel had to be spared because of his stature with the German people.

I personally feel that Rommel's dedication to a personal code of honor lead him astray. Certainly his wife and son might have suffered, but he might have made a point so that the German people knew he had been involved in the plot. I suspect concern for his wife and son motivated him. I rather think that Hitler's crew would have had a good deal of trouble, if the extent of the plot had been well understood by the German people.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 09:01 pm
Another question raises!

why they wanted to kill Hitler?
Because of his authoritarian?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 09:30 pm
Rommel received a full state funeral, attended by all the Nazi bigwigs. The procession was over a mile long. Rommel was given the option of shooting himself and the assurance that if he did so his family would be taken care of. Rommel's involvement in The Plot consisted merely of being aware of it; he took no active role, but did not report its existence.

As to why the assassination attempt took place, it was only one among many. Senior military and political figures knew the war was unwise, and decided an assassination was the only way to stop hitler. He Escaped unharmed when he departed a Munich Beerhall appearance much sooner than had been expected, and the bomb went off in his absence, killing a few other folks. Then a group, including some of the earlier plotters, came to the conclusion the war was unwinnable, arranging another bomb, this one to be carried aboard the plane ferrying Hitler back to Germany from a meeting on the Eastern Front. The bomb was disguised to look like a package containing a couple bottles of wine. The fuse (English-made, captured from the French or Dutch Resistance, if I recall, BTW) malfunctioned and the bomb failed to detonate. A rather dismayed and surprised, and very nervous colonel claimed and retrieved the package from the plane upon its landing in Berlin. Finally, German forces everywhere in retreat, German cities and industry crumbling under incessant Allied bombing, and the Normandy Invasion an accomplished fact, it became clear the war was utterly lost.

The July 20th attempt was very nearly successful; Hitler was spared by the happenstance a stout oak table leg - really a solid oak slab several inches thick, itself weighing a couple hundred pounds at least, running the entire width of the huge, massive conference table was between Hitler, standing at the head of the table, and the bomb. The blast left Hitler partially deaf, blurred his eyesight, and noticeably unsteadied his gait, as well as probably being responsible for the parkinson-like tremor he thereafter evidenced.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 10:09 pm
Loud and Clear, sir!
0 Replies