Ellen Goodman on Bush's abortion stance

littlek

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 01:28 pm
Ellen Goodman article

"Our government went there to try to deep-six a UN agreement on family planning. After one of our delegates promoted abstinence-only education, after another warned of the risks of condoms, after a third shared her success story using the rhythm method, Assistant Secretary of State Gene Dewey took the podium. He said to the assembled: ''The United States supports the sanctity of life from conception to natural death.' ''

She then goes on to write anexcellent article as she usually does....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,165 • Replies: 6
No top replies

mamajuana

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 01:52 pm
I wonder. There are all kinds of jokes and political cartoons about the American sex life, and somes ridicule works wonders.

But so much of this is aimed at abortion, with so much convoluted thinking. And now it is reported that over 6% of abortions are being done with the use of the French pill approved by the FDA (probably a lower figure than the real), and this is a procedure that can be done very quietly in a regular office visit, it may just become more widely spread.

I have often wondered about all those people who shout so loudly about getting the nasty government out of their lives, but see nothing contradictory about wanting government intrusion when it suits their purpose. But then, we're the country that impeached a president on the basis of sex.

I wonder which method kept the Bushes from producing more than that set of twins?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 02:58 pm
mamajuana
I heard he had to call a man in to do the job. That aside, in this instance it is the Christian Taliban calling the shots.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 03:01 pm
mamajuana - I wonder how many abortions his kids will need....
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 04:18 pm
whooee...on another site, which shall be nameless, I questioned whether that whole thing about Clinton and sex might be based on envy on the part of the repub males. (Not all, of course, since I have a republican son-in-law and a conservative son.) But what's happening now does seem like zealous over-kill.

And, of course, all that prevention thing completely denies the role of infectious diseases, HIV, etc. So I think I've solved this. I think the goal of the republican party is simply to reproduce as fast as it can, thus assuring political victories for years to come

But - as the saying goes - be careful what you wish for, I had a republican father, and from hat came two confirmed democrats and one half-way republican.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 04:37 pm
mamajuana wrote:
I have often wondered about all those people who shout so loudly about getting the nasty government out of their lives, but see nothing contradictory about wanting government intrusion when it suits their purpose. But then, we're the country that impeached a president on the basis of sex.

That's a telling observation, mamajuana. We often disagree, usually silently on my part, but I also wonder how and why we have surrendered this issue to the Democratic. It just has to be related to some of those "strange bedfellows" that politics make.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 10:40 pm
Gee whiz, roger, you've always made sense to me, so please disagree out loud. I was brought up with a father (republican) who would quite often take a different side just to get us to think.

I wonder, too. At one time republicans stood for somethig. Now they're shrill and unthinking - the very things they accuse the democrats of. But it's always a matter of personal inconvenience, isn't it? It's the rare person who can rise above this. Incidentally, that's something the repubs never seemed to undertand about Clinton's appeal. Real or not, he made most people feel he understood and cared - something Bush has not managed.
0 Replies