Welfare benefits

Al-714

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2016 03:43 pm
My son's mother is asking for welfare. She did it before and i began receiving bills from child support. I pay her without going through the agency, of course keeping a record of all payments. That time she went and removed the application. This time she tells me that she needs a letter stating the amount i give her each month and to put all my info. My concern is if i will be held liable for any welfare she receives. Please advice.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 805 • Replies: 6
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2016 07:03 pm
@Al-714,
Get a lawyer.

You need in-person legal assistance by someone who specializes in this area. Yes, lawyers are expensive, but it will probably be far more expensive if you try to do this by yourself.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2016 08:39 pm
@Al-714,
I agree with Jespah.

A lawyer may be cheaper than you might think. You can often pay a lawyer some amount (I once paid $150) for an hour of their time. Then you can ask any questions you might have and since you are paying them they will give you real answers rather than a sales pitch.

I wouldn't give her any letter until I had talked to a lawyer.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2016 08:53 pm
@Al-714,
Okay, I'll be the third one to agree with Jespah. Get a lawyer who specializes on welfare and child support.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2016 05:21 pm
"I pay her without going through the agency"

Is there a reason for this?

I hope you have cancelled checks for all your child support that you have paid.
Al-714

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2016 06:25 pm
@PUNKEY,
I keep all the cancelled checks. Before I would pay through the agency, but she would complain saying it would take too long and honestly to try and keep the peace i agreed i would pay the child support directly to her. I make sure to keep all records.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2016 06:32 pm
@Al-714,
Here's some numbers for those on welfare. Since it's based on national welfare, the amount can be sufficient in some areas, but not others.
Also, it's 'tax free,' so that's not too bad.
Quote:
However, observed Tanner, last year the nearly $1 trillion spent on welfare amounted “to $20,610 for every poor person in America, or $61,830 per poor family of three.” With that kind of spending, no one should still be poor.
0 Replies