What is your image of a woman scientist?

roger

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 06:01 pm
@Glennn,
Keep your silly thumb; I'm gonna snitch tell keep Chai informed.
Glennn

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 06:08 pm
@roger,
Come on man!! Look, I just gave you 2--not 1, but 2 thumbs up already. And there's a lot more where that came from.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 06:41 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I don't know why you assume that scientist Barbie doesn't have real expertise.

That is signature line worthy.

Yeah, the skirt has little molecules on it. It's adorable, I love it.

It reminds me of the website below where you can buy or design your own biology/chemistry based jewelry. They also sell puzzles, lighting etc. It's really cool.

http://n-e-r-v-o-u-s.com/shop/<br />

Scientist Barbie would totally buy **** from there.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 06:49 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

No, I was more focused on length of skirt than the pattern.

It seems banana isn't the only one who isn't clear that this is just a plastic doll.

Seriously?

Oogling the legs of a pretend like doll?

Asking for a pretend like dolls credentials for her claim that she's a real scientist?

wowsers

maxdancona

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 06:52 pm
@chai2,
If I were a woman scientist, I would wear that organic chemistry skirt. Carbon rings are sexy.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 07:01 pm
@maxdancona,
I chuckle to let you goofs know that we some times wore shorts under our lab coats.

this thread is weird to me.
Glennn

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 07:48 pm
@ossobuco,
Okay, now we're getting somewhere in this train wreck of a thread. Now I hope this is not too intrusive--and just ignore it if it is--but did you wear underwear under those shorts? Again, if I am overstepping my bounds, don't hesitate to accuse me of sexual harassment and then inform me that you don't have to take it. Conversely, if you don't mind taking it, don't hesitate to say so.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 08:04 pm
@Glennn,
Nah, I'm many years away from lying about anything, or fearing re saying what I think.
To answer, of course we wore underwear. That all wasn't to be sex kittens (we didn't need to do that) but to be comfortable.
Banana Breath

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 08:06 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Im not insulting YOU at all. I think the whole damn subject is naive, silly, and loaded with ignorant semi-douche bag sexist chants

What's really sad, farmerman, is that you're unable to elevate the discussion to a higher plane, you don't even try. Is science education for women a stupid subject? Is STEM education a stupid subject? Women (and men) make decisions about their careers based on their feelings. They are often unaware of where those feelings come from. But unquestionably the images of various career paths presented in popular media have a huge impact on such decisions. If you took the time to apply your fingers to Google-searching some statistics instead of popping off insults like "niave (sic), silly and ignorant," you'd find that large waves of students enrolled in college programs in law after watching the once-popular series "LA Law" followed by another large wave of students enrolling in forensic science after watching shows like "CSI." Does it matter if all popular female scientist characters are silly? It does indeed if it steers women away from scientific careers. But to take potshots at an exploration of the very topic? That's just plain ******* stupid.

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 08:11 pm
@ossobuco,
I've photos somewhere, of our labs, but not ready online. Nothing to upset, pleasure to me.
Banana Breath

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 08:30 pm
@ossobuco,
It's been popular at many colleges to wear only gym shorts and a T-shirt under graduation regalia if graduation is on a hot day. That makes perfect sense to me.
http://i63.tinypic.com/2ujjyh1.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 08:33 pm
@Banana Breath,
I've rather liked you, banana breath, but you just killed that.

Farmerman is probably the least stupid person here. He isn't even arrogant, and is in no way ******* stupid.

He can get taken wrongly, given his hand problems, but that is a long time thing for him.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 08:35 pm
@Banana Breath,
I think someone who chooses a career in science because of a character they see on TV is silly. And I think this thread is silly. I did talk about this thread with my preteen daughter. She read the OP, I wanted to get her opinion on science Barbie.

Her response... "It's just a stupid doll".

0 Replies

Banana Breath

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 09:01 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Farmerman is probably the least stupid person here.

I didn't say he was stupid, I said it was stupid to take potshots at a question (or for that matter an entire subject) that raises an important and relevant question. In particular, quoting him:
Quote:
the whole damn subject is naive, silly, and loaded with ignorant semi-douche bag sexist chants

Smart people indeed do or say stupid things sometimes. And Max, the thread isn't about dolls; it's about the images people maintain about women scientists, and by implication, where those images come from.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 09:32 pm
@Banana Breath,
Quote:
it's about the images people maintain about women scientists, and by implication, where those images come from.

What images are you maintaining about women scientists?

If the Barbie doll line is going to put its trademark doll in a variety of careers, it seems appropriate that scientist (and soldier, and doctor, and programmer) be among these careers. I would be more upset if there wasn't a scientist Barbie.

How women are portrayed is rapidly changing (for the better in my point of view). Right now there are very strong, capable female scientists being portrayed on popular shows; there's Abby Sciuto on NCIS, Ashley on Blindspot, Kosima on Orphan Black and many others. I don't this as a problem in the pop culture that I consume.

My daughter now has every opportunity to choose the profession that interests her (which happens to be engineering). Isn't this what is important?

Sometimes it seems like the ideological goal is to ensure that an equal number of women decide to take up STEM fields as men. I don't see why this is a a very good goal. Compared to my daughter's ability to pursue what will make her happy, this doesn't seem very important to me at all.

0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 10:24 pm
@chai2,
The stereotype of the clueless woman. Just look at Barbie's face, she's not serious about research, she just wants to look cute in her outfit.
I'm a man. I judge women's attractiveness based on their looks. Period. wanting to "do" them is my response to their attractiveness. This can't be news to you, you must've met some men at some point in your life...
I know there are women who base their self worth on how attractive they are to men. I think they are for the most part victims of some childhood trauma that was never addressed or resolved. They engage in self-destructive behavior throughout their tragic lives, unless they finally seek help. They are unable to form healthy relationships, and while promiscuous and often in the company of men, harbor anger and resentment toward them as well; sometimes triggered by the sexual attraction they themselves have fostered. I hope you're not one of them.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 11:02 pm
https://www.google.ca/logos/doodles/2016/caroline-herschels-266th-birthday-5149061126553600-hp.gif

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/03/15/who-is-caroline-herschel-the-cinderella-tale-of-a-pioneering-fem/

Quote:
In 1828 the Royal Astronomical Society awarded its gold medal to Caroline Herschel, the first woman to receive the prize. It wouldn't be awarded to another woman until 1996.

Herschel was also the first woman to be paid for her contribution to science for the discovery of six new comets.

On what would be her 266th birthday, Herschel has been honoured with a Google Doodle. The Doodle shows Herschel searching the skies for comets through her telescope.

Quote:
Herschel was awarded the Royal Astronomical Society's top prize in 1828 for producing a catalogue of nebulae (interstellar clouds of dust, hydrogen, helium and other ionised gases).

groovy google doodle at the link
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 02:12 am
@Kolyo,
Kolyo wrote:

maxdancona wrote:

What is the point of this thread?

Posting and ogling pictures of beautiful women, who are like into science or math or something.

Like Thatcher and Angela Merkel.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 02:14 am
Kolyo specified beautiful women.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 02:22 am
She's a woman. Period
0 Replies