What is your image of a woman scientist?

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 01:11 pm
I take back my "Bye".

I agree with both Glenn and Maxcondona, though they don't agree with each other.
It is a serious topic, and even serious topics get to be joked about, according to me.
Banana Breath

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 01:12 pm
@maxdancona,
Is "scientist" a label you deserve just because you claim it? You can buy a "microscope" online for about $5. If you buy that crappy device, does that make you a scientist? Is having the "right" gear the equivalent of having real skills? If we watch a video on rocket science does that make us rocket scientists? Personally I believe that there is a real and substantial difference between posing as an expert and having real expertise.
chai2

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 01:13 pm
@Banana Breath,
Banana Breath wrote:

Unlike Barbie, GI Joe has exhibited consistent dedication to his military career for the past 52 years. He has never dabbled in other careers, he has been a fighting military man consistently. Barbie on the other hand has mysteriously been able to pursue many dozens of careers without ever having to study, without ever having to work at any one of them for more than fifteen minutes. How odd that we have a scientist Barbie with a microscope, yet never preceded by a student Barbie who sits in classes and takes notes.

You are really reaching now.

What kind of message is it sending to kids that once you got a job, that's it. That's your life? Yeah Barbie has had a lot of careers, because there's a lot of different things the kids who play with her are interested in. By the time a kid outgrows their Barbie, they probably had no more than 2 or 3 different career paths for their doll. Maybe only 1.
It's called "look at all your choices, and you can be any of them!" I'm quite sure very few kids had that many Barbies, or their outfits.

During fantasy play, weren't you sometimes a cowboy, other times a cop, robber, builder, chef, superhero?

Seriously?
Barbie needs to come with a CV?

With that logic, any movie or book series that has a recurring main character needs to produce evidence, and an accompanying film or book showing that fictional character in their early years.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 01:15 pm
@Banana Breath,
Id like to see this 5$ microscope. Its probably made of green zombie plastic.

Banana Breath

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 01:17 pm
@farmerman,
Here's one currently listed for 11 cents/US, with free shipping:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-Small-Pocket-sized-Handheld-LED-45X-Microscope-A6-/121922569790?hash=item1c6326c63e:g:8FsAAOSwkZhWRqvE
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 02:24 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
It is a serious topic, and even serious topics get to be joked about, according to me.

Thank you!!
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 02:45 pm
@Banana Breath,
I don't know why you assume that scientist Barbie doesn't have real expertise.

Would your opinion of Barbie change if you found out she had a PhD in organic chemistry from UC Berkeley and was undertaking a groundbreaking study in delivery mechanism for a new class of antivirals?

By the way, did anyone else notice the pattern on her skirt?

roger

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 03:18 pm
@maxdancona,
No, I was more focused on length of skirt than the pattern.
roger

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 03:19 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I don't know why you assume that scientist Barbie doesn't have real expertise.

It was probably that five dollar, zombie plastic microscope.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 03:43 pm
@roger,
Or it could be that Barbie is so unrealistic that if a real woman had those proportions she would not have enough body fat to be able to have periods.

It's really damaging, Action Man isn't unhealthy, despite being neutered, but Barbie is. No wonder there's so much bloody anorexia about.
Setanta

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 03:56 pm
One of my favorite lines from an SF novel is, roughly, You don't have to be a rocket scientist to do rocket science.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 03:57 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

What is the point of this thread?

Posting and ogling pictures of beautiful women, who are like into science or math or something.

Chai had the right idea at first but the thread is now drowning in text.

We need to get back on topic.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 04:04 pm
@izzythepush,
Me, as a lot of us know, I'm in on the odd variety of elders - I'll just say right out that I've always despised Barbies. It was like a giant "are they kidding" thing going on, and still is.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 04:24 pm
I had two dolls in my early child life.

Sally and Marilyn -- Sally was supposed to have abilities, but I never knew all that. Was that about peeing? Marilyn was blousy fluffy and I didn't care about her, talk about vague. I did like Sally.

On imaging women scientists as a child born in '41, I was lucky, as my father, in contrast to my more isolated mother re reading, told me I could do anything I wanted to do.

Which I did.
farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 04:32 pm
@ossobuco,
is there a point to this thread that hasnt already been solidly exposed as kinda stupid?
ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 04:37 pm
@farmerman,
I'll take that as you are not insulting me on purpose.

Also, I suppose you are right.
farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 04:41 pm
@ossobuco,
Im not insulting YOU at all. I think the whole damn subject is naive, silly, and loaded with ignorant semi-douche bag sexist chants (except for a few that chai tried to make but was missed).

I tgink youre going in the right direction , its just that I think you may, like I, have an idea that Bill R or Hawkeye coulda made as good an OP for this stupid subject.
Glennn

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 05:08 pm
@farmerman,
Can't we all just get along? We all tried to make the best of it, but some just won't have it.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 05:57 pm
And so, in closing, I would like to say that I feel the need to set the record straight. I am not a bad guy. I really like well-dressed, intelligent young women in skirts, tight sweaters, and open coats. Wait, that came out wrong. Okay, what I really meant to say is that I appreciate the image of a young, sexy chick . . . er, I mean broad--or no--I mean dame--DOH! Please don’t tell Chai about this. If you don’t tell, I promise a whole week’s worth of thumb-ups for your posts no matter how shittty or lame they are.

Let me try again. What I really mean is that whatever Barbie wants to wear in the lab is fine with me. Hell, if she wants to wear nothing at all, I would support her in her decision to do so. I would even do whatever it took--even violence--to stop anyone who attempted to force her to wear clothes against her will.

Thank you
ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 05:59 pm
@farmerman,
ah, beginning to get you
0 Replies