F.B.I. Goes Knocking for Political Troublemakers

McGentrix

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 06:29 am
None of us are there. None of us have had the FBI knock on our doors. We have no idea what they are asking or how people are reacting. You are speculating on this action based on your own bias and the bias of the article discussing this investigation.

For all you know, 2 FBI agents knock on the door, explain that they are investigating alleged voter fraud and are merely checking peoples addresses and identities to assure that voter fraud does not occur.

Instead, you choose to believe that FBI agents are running through the streets like men in black terrorizing the old black people by tasering them and then questioning them for 2 months under abu ghraib like conditions.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 07:29 am
Can you explain, in your haughty omniscience, McG, why it is that the Federal Bureau of Investigation is doing the leg-work in a sovereign state, as opposed to the state authorities who are responsible for the registration of voters, and the regulation of the voting process?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 07:33 am
Setanta wrote:
Can you explain, in your haughty omniscience, McG, why it is that the Federal Bureau of Investigation is doing the leg-work in a sovereign state, as opposed to the state authorities who are responsible for the registration of voters, and the regulation of the voting process?

Idea

This whole thing is another shameful move by the administration that is going to get largely ignored. IMO
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 07:33 am
Because it was a federal election they are investigating. Also, I believe that state troopers are doing most of the investigation. How's that for haughty?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 07:39 am
McGentrix wrote:
Because it was a federal election they are investigating.

Aren't all elections run by States?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 07:45 am
More haughtyness...

http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/publications/voter_fraud.asp
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 07:53 am
A feeble response, McG--states certify their election results to the Congress. The voter registration lists and procedure are no business of the Federal government unless and until someone brings a complaint to the Federal Elections Commission, which has its own investigative personnel.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 08:03 am
a feeble response to a tenuous question.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 08:03 am
McG
The word is intimidation. Evil or Very Mad

ain Entry: in·tim·i·date
Pronunciation: in-'ti-m&-"dAt
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): -dat·ed; -dat·ing
Etymology: Medieval Latin intimidatus, past participle of intimidare, from Latin in- + timidus timid
Date: 1646
: to make timid or fearful : FRIGHTEN; especially : to compel or deter by or as if by threats
- in·tim·i·dat·ing·ly /-"dA-ti[ng]-lE/ adverb
- in·tim·i·da·tion /-"ti-m&-'dA-sh&n/ noun
- in·tim·i·da·tor /-'ti-m&-"dA-t&r/ noun
synonyms INTIMIDATE, COW, BULLDOZE, BULLY, BROWBEAT mean to frighten into submission. INTIMIDATE implies inducing fear or a sense of inferiority into another <intimidated by so many other bright freshmen>. COW implies reduction to a state where the spirit is broken or all courage is lost <not at all cowed by the odds against making it in show business>. BULLDOZE implies an intimidating or an overcoming of resistance usually by urgings, demands, or threats <bulldozed the city council into approving the plan>. BULLY implies intimidation through threats, insults, or aggressive behavior <bullied into giving up their lunch money>. BROWBEAT implies a cowing through arrogant, scornful or contemptuous treatment <browbeat the witness into a contradiction>
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 08:07 am
Question

What about it? were you there? How do you know anyone was intimidating anyone?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 08:19 am
The question was not at all tenuous. It is very germaine to inquire why the FBI is doing this, when it is not properly their business.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 09:49 am
Mcg

The FBI or a state trooper comes knocking at your door and questions you about voting. You don't think that is intimidating? Particularly to Blacks in the old south. Come on wake up and smell the roses.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 09:57 am
So, should they send the girl scouts around to investigate voter fraud? Maybe the NAACP?

The FBI has a rather extensive background in invsetigating voter fraud. I guess it's just another case of lose lose for the Bush administration. Rolling Eyes

If they don't investigate the alleged voter fraud, they are hiding something, if they do they are overbearing thugs preying on old black people...*sigh*
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 10:01 am
McG
If they are intent upon investigating voter fraud they are looking in the wrong places. They should be looking in the governors office, the county election boards and the state trooper barracks. That is where the fraud was and is.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 10:07 am
McG, what business does the Shrub's administration have investingating voter fraud? This is a matter for the state in question. Your "lose lose" statement here is crybaby stuff--no one expects the Shrub's crew to investigate this, and they likely would not be trusted if they did.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 10:11 am
Setanta
Setanta, I've not yet been able to locate the federal law giving the FBI jurisdiction to investigate voter fraud, but I'm still looking.

My understanding is the FBI has jurisdiction to investigate voter fraud connected to any election on any ballot that included races for federal office or a federal issue. The FBI could investigate local races if they were part of a ballot that included a congressional or U.S. Senate race.

BBB
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 10:13 am
Well, i've not gone looking for the citation, BBB, but i understood from my reading that they can only act when the Federal Elections Commission requests their aid.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 10:16 am
Setanta
Setanta, the following site appears to be thorough and authoritive and easy for non-lawyers to read. Starting on page 20 appears to provide the answers re FBI jurisdiction:

http://www.demos-usa.org/pubs/EDR_-_Securing_the_Vote.pdf

BBB
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 10:17 am
After further investigation, au1929 started this whole account and PDiddie added fuel to the fire. It's not even the FBI doing the investigation at all, it's Florida state troopers which PDiddie calls "armed officials". This is a link to the story that PDiddie is referencing. So, this discussion over the FBI investigating old black people in Florida is now done.

I win. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 10:31 am
MgC
Just exactly what did you win. The booby prize? Yes you have been adjudged the grand Bubbette.
0 Replies