Have You Ever Lived On The Streets?

onevoice

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 08:44 pm
@Leadfoot,
Hey... Are you writing about your research? I would be very interested in reading your findings! In the group homes I worked in it was pretty much all the 12 to 18 year old range. The last one I worked at in FL was a home from 3 to 11 year olds. It was a whole different ball of wax working with them. And it was so tragic that the woman running the house had her own personal issues that caused her to actually manipulate these innocent children to gain their acceptance.

It tore me to pieces, because I was quite unprepared for that job and didn't even realize it. I was clueless how to associate with them. They just didn't have the reasoning abilities teens have. and that is what all my training was based on. I was floundering emotionally, trying to get up to speed on things that actually worked, and totally freaked out at the same time because they all loved me and I couldn't understand why...

I was a tab bit terrified of them... Lol But they loved me so much so it actually made the "house mother" excruciatingly jealous. She actually started bad mouthing me to them! I was like... What the freak?! Then when that didn't work she began a relentless pursuit to get me fired.

But her boss actually checked into the things she was saying, couldn't get one of those children to say a bad word about me, and ultimately decided to demote me to make her happy. So, I resigned and that was ultimately what spoiled me on so called "group homes". I gave it one last try a few years ago... But no. I just. No. Do it FOR the kids or don't do it at all. And some day... I WILL do it for the kids. Smile It's just taking me a little longer to get there than I hoped it would. Lol
mark noble

Sat 9 Apr, 2016 07:36 am
@Leadfoot,
Lead - I just read your post.
Are you exploring this anthropologically or ontologically - discernable (human behaviour) or 'absolute' fundamental processes?

Great post, btw.
Leadfoot

Sat 9 Apr, 2016 08:12 am
@onevoice,
Quote:
they all loved me and I couldn't understand why...
I was a tab bit terrified of them...
That sounds like my experience with autistic children and young adults. That isn't the group I'm looking at and I have no idea why I have run into so many of them or why they were so attracted to me. It's hard to know how to react to such attention, scary sometimes. You want to help but ??
Sounds like you were better at it than I :-)
mark noble

Sat 9 Apr, 2016 08:27 am
@Leadfoot,
Lead - You're in the 'Romeo' zone - Get back to the thread, please.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Sat 9 Apr, 2016 08:30 am
@mark noble,
Quote:
Are you exploring this anthropologically or ontologically -
Definitely ontological. Conventional wisdom (and anthropology) would lead me to expect a very bad outcome for them. It's a small sample size (currently only 4) but the outcome is far better than you would expect and in some ways, better than those with 'average' upbringing (if there is such a thing). Not that they did not have some difficulties adjusting but the eventual outcome is definitely positive.

Ontological reasons are the only ones I can think of that could account for the results.

If I were more cynical I'd say it shows either that individual humans are inherently 'better' than we think or that society sucks :-)
mark noble

Sat 9 Apr, 2016 08:42 am
@Leadfoot,
Define 'Outcome' please, Lead.
Leadfoot

Sat 9 Apr, 2016 08:51 am
@mark noble,
I wish.

Been working on putting that definition into words for over 20 years now. It's not that simple but they have an objectivity uncluttered by convention that is just amazing.
mark noble

Sat 9 Apr, 2016 09:02 am
@Leadfoot,
Define 'unconventional' then, please.
Leadfoot

Sat 9 Apr, 2016 09:07 am
@mark noble,
In this context, derived from sources other than society.
mark noble

Sat 9 Apr, 2016 09:45 am
@Leadfoot,
Like, on the moon?
0 Replies

onevoice

Sat 9 Apr, 2016 12:45 pm
@Leadfoot,
No joke! Man! I didn't know what to do at first! Having not ever really received that kind of affection at their age, I had trouble with, and still struggle with, conveying affection. Honestly, except through my writing for some reason. I suppose at some time I made writing my "out" of sorts. I'll tell you how I really feel, and how much I would like to be able to accept and give affection in person, but then I don't have to be there in person to face the rejection... If it were to come.

Boy I am good at picking myself apart. Lol Teenagers were easy, man. I GOT that. I had built many of the same walls myself, and through helping them, was able to overcome many of my own in the process. I'm sorry I keep rambling. I really am lonely right now. It's nice to talk to another human being once in a while. Smile There's so much going on inside my brain... So much to say... And no one to say it to. Or so it feels a lot. I swear some days I see more fries FLYING out of my happy meal... Lol If it keeps up I might just end up being a full fry shy of a happy meal!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

entityfree

Tue 4 Oct, 2016 12:48 pm
''actually you ####ers live on the streets, i am just visiting''
yes, and i am homeless and houseless although recently have been at motels. it has taught me many things including that moneyism or capitalism is evil, which is enforced by the police, that maybe people collectively suck and are ignorant and are like robots, and that you should vote third party :-). that you do not need most of what people think they need, but that what you really want and need people do not seem to help you out with. maybe a dozen inventions. that you should be a vegan or something like that. :-)
Ragman

Tue 4 Oct, 2016 01:35 pm
@entityfree,
I've no idea what you're trying to say. what does veganism have to do with homelessness?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 4 Oct, 2016 03:19 pm
@entityfree,
Capitalism is not evil; that's the only system that provides opportunity for all - - even you! Capitalism in our country made it the richest country in the world, and we represent only five percent of the world's population.

If you can't see that, nothing will.

I didn't quite live on the streets, but did live in a closet size room with only my bed in it when I lived in Chicago in the early fifties. I lived from paycheck to paycheck.

After my four years in the USAF, I went to college and earned a degree. Life has been pretty good since then. I have traveled to 85 to 89 unique countries in over 200 trips.

If I can do it, so can most other people.
MethSaferThanTHC

Wed 21 Jun, 2017 06:50 am
@Yourmakingmehateyou,
I live with dad/mom. I don't get along with dad. I feel I'm being screwed out of my adulthood. If dad evicts me, who do I go to? After mom/dad, I have no one.
I have been diagnosed as schizophrenic since the age of 18, medicated for many years, still on medicine for schizophrenia. I know mental health, I don't know homelessness.
I'm 41
Leadfoot

Tue 27 Jun, 2017 03:29 pm
@MethSaferThanTHC,
Just curious. Do you really think meth is safer than weed?
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Tue 27 Jun, 2017 03:39 pm
@onevoice,
Quote:
No joke! Man! I didn't know what to do at first! Having not ever really received that kind of affection at their age, I had trouble with, and still struggle with, conveying affection.

What with the 'normal' human reaction to an expression of affection often being 'what is this person trying to get from me?' I know what you mean. I guess that's another advantage of writing and anonymity; people are less likely to get defensive. But it's no wonder loneliness is so universal. And when you drop your defensiveness, you are somewhat like the only Martian in town.

0 Replies

RJ8541

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 11:43 am
I am currently homeless and living on the streets where I am at. I lost my house due to job loss and some legal issues, along with my drivers license and vehicles. A friend of mine and his wife and kids live in my house now. They acquired it when it went into foreclosure. The 147 acres of property that the house is on I own free and clear. I was thinking of placing a camper or shack on it to live in, but it is in a remote rural area, with no resources. So I am staying in one of the nearest towns. I have been doing odd jobs while looking for more permanent employment. There are good resources here. A day community center that has computers to use for job searching and life improvement, showers, laundry facilities. Soup kitchens for lunch every day. There is a night summer shelter here as well, but they only take 20 people each night, and there is a lottery to get in. There is a beach on the lake here, so with it being summer, and nice weather I just camp at the beach every night. Stay under the pavilion there if raining. The winter shelter does not have a max capacity, so guaranteed to get into it.
I hang out on the streets with many other homeless individuals. I do my best to mostly surround myself with others who are decent and motivated to get out of being homeless, and stay away from the alcoholics, druggies, mentally ill, and career destitute. It sucks being homeless, but I have learned much from it. Being that I spend much time at the beach, I have been just doing my best to have the mindset and attitude that this is just a long vacation that I need to enjoy and work my way out of.
Leadfoot

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 12:52 pm
@RJ8541,
I guess that might explain all the negative posts you've been making about religion/God.

Hope you find your way out of this situation. I'm currently at my off grid shack in Colorado, miles away from any municipal services, electricity, etc. I stayed in a small (16') travel trailer before building the 'shack'. It's not that hard or expensive to go 'off grid' so don't give up on the idea.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 03:27 pm
@onevoice,
I gave you a thumb's up, because I agree. It has to do with one's motivation to study and work hard. I have traveled all around the world (all 5 continents), and have seen beggars in many of them. In some third world countries, there just isn't the opportunity to grow, because they don't provide free education and from the lack of jobs. Even China where their economy is growing at over 6% every year, there's still too many have nots, and they're also corrupting their country with pollution. Many can't even drink their tap water. They've become a basket case. Their life spans are being shortened.
0 Replies