Have You Ever Lived On The Streets?

Sat 12 Mar, 2016 02:07 pm
I was, once, homeless - more than once, if truth be told.
No family, friends, job etc.
Did you ever exist this way, and what, if anything, did it teach you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 13 • Views: 6,078 • Replies: 72
Topic Closed
No top replies

Yourmakingmehateyou

Sat 12 Mar, 2016 02:29 pm
@mark noble,
I am currentily living that reality, and what I have learned is I love spending all day at the library, even a dinky cheeseburger can taste like heaven when you've barely ate all day, and the more you walk or exercise the less anxiety you have and the more confident you become.

I have also learned that senior citizens RUN the streets in central Jersey, and walking through the suburbia after 11pm on a weekday is eerily similar to walking through a deserted, zombie apocalypse ridden town.

Truth be told... I'm enjoying it way too much.
farmerman

Sat 12 Mar, 2016 03:08 pm
@mark noble,
I lived in a tented mining camp several times. Homeless, nope.
timur

Sat 12 Mar, 2016 03:22 pm
Mark Noble wrote:
Have You Ever Lived On The Streets?

No, I'm always dead when I'm on the streets.
cicerone imposter

Sat 12 Mar, 2016 04:37 pm
@timur,
Close to it. When I lived in Chicago, I worked at a wholesale company, (Louis MeLind and Co.) as a biller. It paid peanuts, and I lived from paycheck to paycheck. My 'room' was a closet sized room with just a bed. I ate at a restaurant on the corner of the block every day. I ate hot dog most times. The waitress there was very friendly, and all of a sudden she disappeared. I asked what happened to her, and they told me she had committed suicide.

I eventually moved back to California, and went to work for the post office where I worked as a sorter. I shared an apartment with two college students.
With no future in sight, I enlisted into the USAF. That was the best decision I made, because they assigned me to work with munitions and nuclear weapons. I made E4 in 18 months where the average time is 26 months.

After my discharge, I moved back to Chicago, because a guy I met on base was from Chicago, and his parents owned Honolulu Harry's Club Waikiki on Wilson and Nakanoya's across from Lincoln Park. He asked me to move to Chicago if I didn't have other plans, so that's what I did.

To make a long story short, I eventually returned to California, earned my college degree, then worked for Florsheim Shoe Company. After 3.5 years as a Field Auditor, they promoted me to Audit Manager, so we moved to Naperville, a suburb of Chicago. I took the Burlington into the city, and our office was on the next block to Union Station. I did that for another three years, and was ready to move back to California to family and friends.

After returning to California, I was controller for a couple of companies, did consulting work, and retired at 63. During work and after retirement, I traveled extensively throughout the world that included all five continents and 90 countries with many repeats.

So things progressed quite well for me.

During WWII, we were sent to concentration camp in Northern California where we lived in tar-papered barracks. It snowed in winter, and we had one pot bellied stove fueled by coal in the middle of the room. There were no sidewalks or roads, and during the winters, it was muddy. This is probably the closest to living on the streets.

Leadfoot

Sat 12 Mar, 2016 05:02 pm
All my homeless time was Age 14 and younger. That and seeing my parents dodge bill collectors taught me fiscal responsibility and an absolute aversion to borrowing money. It was a good lesson.
onevoice

Sun 13 Mar, 2016 02:43 pm
@mark noble,
Homeless is far more than just not having a place to hang your hat. Some people in this world have a homeless heart. They may have everything externally, but internally... Something is missing. It's different for everyone.

I have been homeless a time or two in my life. It looks a lot different from that perspective. Homelessness isn't just a state of being. It's a state of mind. It's a state of heart. I can't speak for all the homeless out there, but I have met and fellowshipped with many over the years, and I feel it is for them I must speak.

I met many who chose to be there because they were running from who they thought God was. It was easier to just disappear. There were some who simply just enjoyed a simple life, with few requirements. Lots of tragic stories. Bad decisions that led to a downward spiral that eventually dropped them there. They were all different... And unique.

But it was deeper than that. Much deeper. It was a tragic state of heart and mind. Where all the sources of positive motivation were removed and all that was left for them to ponder... Was their mistakes... Their choices. Often times not even stopping for a moment to wonder if there was even a way out anymore. For what? To fail again?

They are lost in a sea of people who have only seen them from the outside. But there is so much more on the inside. There's fear. Feeling forgotten, cast away, perhaps... Isolated even by this world that doesn't seem to care.

Being homeless is a lonely place to be that very few will ever really care enough to understand. It is sad really.
Setanta

Mon 14 Mar, 2016 04:17 am
Oh yeah, right . . . if people don't believe in god as you do, that's bound to be their core problem.

Theists are such smug bastards.
cicerone imposter

Mon 14 Mar, 2016 10:37 am
@Setanta,
I wudda said, ignorant bast.......
0 Replies

onevoice

Mon 14 Mar, 2016 03:04 pm
@Setanta,
Being homeless is a human condition that has little to nothing to do with God... Or lack there of.
Setanta

Mon 14 Mar, 2016 03:07 pm
@onevoice,
Right . . . that's why you wrote this:

onevoice wrote:
I met many who chose to be there because they were running from who they thought God was. It was easier to just disappear.
onevoice

Mon 14 Mar, 2016 03:17 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta, there are all kinds out there, no matter where you go. Some have beliefs similar to mine. That was their reasoning. That doesn't imply that was the case with all... Or even the majority. People are people no matter where they are in life. We all share the same basic thoughts, needs, wants, desires. As well as fears, doubts, and insecurities. It is the human condition no matter what that particular human chooses to believe about God.
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 14 Mar, 2016 06:36 pm
Like all the god botherers, you can't leave you imaginary friend out of the picture, even when, as you point out he/she/it has nothing to do with what is going on.
cicerone imposter

Mon 14 Mar, 2016 07:41 pm
@Leadfoot,
Speak up rather than thumbing us down. Nothing to be afraid of.
Leadfoot

Mon 14 Mar, 2016 07:53 pm
@cicerone imposter,
If you're looking for the masked thumb's downer, it ain't me.
onevoice

Mon 14 Mar, 2016 07:54 pm
@Setanta,
That would be because He is an important part of my life and I am not ashamed of that. I don't see what difference it makes really. I haven't judged or condemned anyone. I did not even state a specific belief regarding God or my relationship with Him. Nor have I shoved any scriptures down anyone's throats. So what is it exactly that I have done that is so offensive Setanta?
onevoice

Mon 14 Mar, 2016 08:00 pm
@Leadfoot,
Huh... I.wonder who it is? Thats kinda strange. Maybe even a little vindictive. Come on masked thumbs downer! Show yourself! Smile
cicerone imposter

Mon 14 Mar, 2016 08:05 pm
@onevoice,
We have chicken little playing kid's games. LOL
Leadfoot

Mon 14 Mar, 2016 08:06 pm
@onevoice,
It's a mystery. Has nothing to do with the post content though, no pattern at all..
onevoice

Mon 14 Mar, 2016 08:08 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I actually thought about referring to chicken little! Lol
0 Replies