Academic Dismissal Letter...Help!

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2016 09:04 pm
To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing this letter to appeal my academic dismissal from XXX. When I received the notification of my dismissal on January 5, 2016, I was incredibly saddened. I take full responsibility for my actions that have gotten me into the predicament I am in now.

After high-school, I successfully completed two years at XXX and knew early on that I wanted to come to the XXX. I was more than excited once I received my acceptance letter. Once becoming a student at the XXX, my trials began to increase.

My first 3 years of college were paid for by my mother. But this did not come without a price. I was responsible for the sole care and duties of my sister on a regular basis. It seemed that within an hour of getting to the library after class, I was interrupted by having to go pick up my sister. Once I was able to get her home and feed I was able to go back to the library and continue studying, most nights this was not until after 8pm. By that time, I began to grow tired. This past winter semester my Cell Biology and Organic Chemistry tests fell in the same week.Each of these weeks, I was solely responsible for my sister. This resulted in incredible stress and poor performance on my exams. However, I am committed to ensuring that my education be placed first in the upcoming semester. As if I didn’t already have enough on my plate, it soon became clear that my funds for college were beginning to run out. Because I care about my education, I began working to help fund my college education. As a result, I had even less time to study.

Because I was having trouble mastering the material, I made frequent trips to meet with tutors and attend SI sessions (which can be supported by documentation). Most weeks I met with the tutor twice a week and others I met with them three times a week. Given my circumstances, I tried my very best to be successful; unfortunately, I did not reach my goal. Since the fall semester, I have had discussions with my parents about improving my GPA and they showed support to aid in my efforts.

I completely understand that attending XXX is a privilege. If I am reinstated into the University, I will do everything in my power to successfully graduate from the XXX. I have intentions to retake the classes I did not do well in and I can guarantee that there will be an improvement in my grades. I will continue to attend tutoring at a minimum of twice a week. I will attend my professor’s office hours at a minimum of once a week, to check my progress and make sure that I am truly understanding what I am learning. I will also be at the library very early in the day before classes begin to start my studying. I will no longer be responsible for the care of my sister, I will also be reducing my work schedule to less than 10 hours per week and my spare time will be devoted to my studies. This fall semester I have enrolled in 4 classes at XXX. I have had a lot of time to engage in self-reflection and I believe I have what it takes to be a successful Wolverine. I will now be able to focus solely on my education. I want nothing more than to graduate from the XXX and be a proud XXX. Thank you for taking time to read this letter.

maxdancona

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2016 10:03 pm
@schoolgirl126,
My biggest suggestion is that this letter should be much shorter. Your target audience is administrators. They have to make these decisions, but it is just a job to them. Yours is not the first of these letters they have read. Do them a favor and make your case succinctly.

You want to tell them that you desire to continue at the University, that you take responsibility, and that you have a desire and a plan to improve. You have hit all of these important points. There is a lot you can take out without taking away from any of these points.

For example I would say "I take full responsibility for my actions... " (without the rest of the sentence) and take out sentences like "Once becoming a student at the XXX, my trials began to increase."

The third paragraph is saying that you had some difficult life circumstances. The same point can be made with much fewer words (the details aren't important to your target audience).

The fourth paragraph is pretty good. Get rid of the phrases "Because I was having trouble mastering the material..." and "unfortunately, I did not reach my goal" (they are not needed and add nothing to the letter).

I would greatly shorten the last paragraph. The idea is good, you want to convince them that you are making the necessary changes. There are just too many words. Make the point with a couple of steps you will take, and leave out so many details. If they take you up on your offer, you will discuss the details then.

Believe me, the shorter the better.

Good luck.

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2016 10:16 pm
@maxdancona,
Agree that shorter is better. Also, more important, is to improve your grades.
When I attended college, it helped to discuss the subject with other students. I also tutored other students in Accounting. You might consider my suggestions. Good luck in your pursuit.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2016 10:57 pm
@schoolgirl126,
Your quote:
Quote:
Once I was able to get her home and feed

Should read "Once I was able to get her home and fed" or "Once I was able to get her home and feed her"

Always strive to make your letters to official people correct. By the way, how old is your sister and does she have any disabilities?
0 Replies