Need opinions on academic dismissal appeal letter, feedback welcome!

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 02:39 pm
Dear Academic Appeal Committee,
I am writing this letter in the hopes that you will see fit to appeal my academic dismissal from XXXX and reinstate me as a student. I realize that I have not met the standards set by the college and have no one other than myself to blame for this fact. However, I would like to explain why it is that I have not been performing ideally and why I will no longer be hindered by these issues in the future and will be able to succeed next semester, should you see fit to reinstate me.
First off, in the beginning of the semester I had an issue with my roommates, which progressed to the point where I no longer felt comfortable being able to return to my own room and had serious concerns about living there. I was, however, able to move to a new dorm, where I immediately felt much more comfortable.
While taking steps to remedy my living situation and arrange to move to a new room, I had a mental breakdown and became severely depressed, to the point where I found it necessary to seek out help at the counseling center. While this depression is not necessarily a new occurrence, as I was diagnosed with ADHD and mood and anxiety disorders from a young age, I felt that this bout was severe enough that I was genuinely concerned for my own physical well-being. Attending the counseling center helped me work through some of these issues, to the point where I was able to function in daily life to a degree, but was not able to reach my maximum. However, it was not until near the end of the semester that I was finally able to have an appointment with my psychiatrist, who prescribed a new medication which has greatly remedied the issues with my mood disorders.
In addition to these issues, mid-semester I also became disillusioned with my major and approached my advisor for advice regarding changing it. After talking with him, I found the best course of action was to take the steps to go about changing my major, which I did, and believe in with this change my academics will improve.
Finally, at the end of the semester, when finals were starting, I fractured my wrist rolling skating during a school-sponsored event. A combination of the discomfort from my cast, the considerable pain from my fractured wrist, and the pain meds that I was placed on made it very difficult to study and focus on my schoolwork. I only recently had the cast removed and gotten the use of my hand back.
In conclusion, I would like to offer the committee, and the XXXX College, my apologies for my poor academic performance and thank them for considering my appeal. I accept the fact that in the end, I was the one who was responsible for my academics and I did not live up to that responsibility. However, I hope the committee will see that I took steps to resolve the issues that were plaguing me during the previous semester and how these issues will not affect me in the future, and I will be able to perform to a higher academic ability if I am reinstated.
Sincerely,
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,357 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 05:13 pm
@needhelponletter,
I think it's a good letter as it stands (you certainly had a lot happen to you in short order). Will they allow for you to attach documentation as exhibits? If so, then get every medical and counselor letter you can.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 05:48 pm
@needhelponletter,
I would say no, because what I most want to see is not here, that being an assertion on your part that this has been a learning experience and that as a result you now feel better able to manage adversity. I want you to tell me that you are becoming more resilient, and begging for the opportunity to show that you are better at this necessary life skill now.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2015 07:21 am
Gotta agree with hawkeye, the letter, to me, documents why you need to sit out a semester. Particularly if you're a freshman.
0 Replies