What You Don't Know About Fat

Thok

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 01:55 am
All informations about fat and more:

Fat cells: The average person has 40 billion of them. They multiply, they're almost impossible to kill and they're sending messages to your body that can ruin your health.

Quote:

Interactives and Quizzes and more reports about fat
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,044 • Replies: 8
No top replies

paulaj

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 09:13 am
Hmmm, interesting. I wonder if I would have benefitted from "leptin" therapy.
I used to be obese (5'4" 240 lbs.) I had gastric by-pass surgery 6 years ago and am now 130 lbs. The medical ramifications of obesity are far reaching. I had high blood pressure (now gone), painful heel-spurs which I barely notice these day's and other associated problems.
The majority of people that have this procedure are around 400-500 lbs. Or at least that's what I noticed at the facility I had my procedure done. I'll gladly answer any questions for someone who is considering having this done.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 09:32 am
Oh, I forgot to answer the question "what do you know about fat"

It S#CKS! :-)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 10:20 am
I know more about fat you eat rather than fat you wear.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 10:31 am
MMM bbq'd steak fat!!!!
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 07:15 am
littlek said:

"I know more about fat you eat rather than fat you wear"

Interesting way of putting it, littlek. I never thought of fat as something you wear, but in a way we do wear it. We certainly lug it around.

Every time I carry a 14 lb box of kitty litter up a flight of stairs, I realize how much of a burden an extra 14 lbs of fat adds to my body.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 08:34 am
Fire

I think that also when I carry a bag of potatos up a flight of stairs.
Can you imagine what it's like for someone who's 200 lbs. over their normal weight, taxing on the body.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 09:05 am
It must be brutal, paulaj. Congratulations on your own enormous weight loss. I would imagine that it changed your life dramatically.
Would you advise others who are very obese to have gastric-bypass surgery? Have you found any adverse long term effects of the surgery?
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 10:21 am
Thank you fire. Alot of medical stuff just dissipates. For instance I was quite top heavy and it's the first thing people notice when they see you and you get comments and nick-names you don't need. That type of shape makes sleeping difficult.
There is a huge negative stigma towards fat woman in America. People treat a fat person differently, it's sad.
Plus I tend to lean towards being shy, and feeling unattractive just made it worse.
Even at 240 lbs. I was proably one of the thinnest people that had this procedure. I would advise people not to wait until their 3 to 4 hundred lbs. to have this. If I was a few lbs. lighter I would not have qualified to have my insurance pay for this.
I have not had any long term side effects. But I have read about people who burst their staples because they ate to much at one sitting. If I eat to fast I sometimes get a stomach ache but that's about it.
0 Replies