suppose..surely

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 11:16 pm
There many rules for the use of suppose and supposing,and I see them similar to each others:

1) Catholics are supposed to go to church on Sundays.

this could mean:

what is generally believed or what should happen according to the law and rules or could mean thing that didn't happen.

2) That was very clever, but suppose you have had slipped?

Now, here it means thing that didn't occur,and the rule ( structure) is verb in the past followed by present perfect.But what if said:

That was very clever , but suppose you slipped?

I broke the rule and nothing change.Still,it means thing that didn't occure.

* surely

What is the difference when you read the following sentences:

"I'm going to marry Lucy."Surely she is married already?".

"Surely she is going to stop crying?".
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 550 • Replies: 3
No top replies

fortune

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 03:36 am
There are many words in the English language that change meaning subtly according to their usage. Suppose is one of them.

I'm not quite sure what your question is in regard to the word 'surely'. In both examples it means that the thing in question must be definite, that there is no question about it's truth. To be more precise, the questioner is confused that anyone might have doubt.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 09:56 pm
Quote:
There many rules for the use of suppose and supposing,and I see them similar to each others:

First, we need to know what verb is being applied to "rules". In this case, you want to imply that the rule simply exists. For this, we use a conjugation of the verb "to be", so this should be:

"There are many rules..."

Although the rules are many, when you introduce the word "each" you imply that you are referring to individual rules, so "others" should be singular, not plural (so it should be "other").

Quote:
1) Catholics are supposed to go to church on Sundays.

this could mean:

what is generally believed or what should happen according to the law and rules or could mean thing that didn't happen.

That is what it means

Quote:
2) That was very clever, but suppose you have had slipped?

Now, here it means thing that didn't occur,and the rule ( structure) is verb in the past followed by present perfect.

"have" is the present tense verb, "had" is the past tense conjugation of the same verb. In a sentence, you need to make sure that all of your verbs are conjugated in the same tense. You also should not repeat the same verbs twice in a row like this. In this case, you are talking about the past, so you should only use "had" and remove "have".

Quote:

But what if said:

That was very clever , but suppose you slipped?

I broke the rule and nothing change.Still,it means thing that didn't occure.

this has the same meaning because the word "had" can be implied

Quote:

What is the difference when you read the following sentences:

"I'm going to marry Lucy."Surely she is married already?".

"Surely she is going to stop crying?".

Both of these sentences are a bit awkward. The normal way to say them is:
'
"I'm going to marry Lucy. She is surely married already."

This doesn't make much sense in terms of actual meaning, though.

"She will surely stop crying."

Some final notes...

1) I cannot think of any circumstances where "suppose" would have multiple meanings. In all of the circumstances I can think of, it means "pretend that...". When it is used as a question, like this:

"Suppose that you had slipped?"

It is technically incorrect. But this is used in speech, because we often like to say something in a questioning tone to IMPLY the real question, which is:

"Suppose you had slipped...then what would you have done?"

2) You can also use "Supposing X, then Y" which means the same thing you would expect...if we assume X is true, then Y is true.

3) "Surely" does not start sentences usually, it is an adverb, so it should be used before a verb. For instance: "She will surely stop" where stop is the verb.
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 11:03 pm
Thank God,Stuh is here Smile and thank you fortune.
0 Replies