Hillary Clinton and Fracking

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2016 05:47 am

Hillary Will Never Admit Publicly That She Supports Fracking, But She's a Booster Behind Closed Doors

There's only one presidential candidate who forthrightly supports a ban on fracking: Bernie Sanders.
By Josh Fox, Lee Ziesche / AlterNet
March 8, 2016

Hillary Clinton fielded a question about whether she supports fracking in Sunday’s Democratic presidential debate.

Here’s her equivocal answer and a rebuttal:

Bernie and Hillary #1DBBD13 from JFOX on Vimeo. http://www.alternet.org/environment/hillary-will-never-admit-publicly-she-supports-fracking-shes-booster-behind-closed-doors

You will never hear her say on a debate stage “I support fracking, let’s frack more.” That’s because hundreds of families harmed by fracking have spoken out about water and air contamination. The anti-fracking movement is one the fastest growing grassroots movements in the country. The word "fracking" has become as politically toxic as the practice itself.

Hillary Clinton can’t say she supports fracking, but she does. It’s on her website: see “Hillary Clinton Plan for Ensuring Safe and Responsible Natural Gas Production.” https://www.hillaryclinton.com/briefing/factsheets/2016/02/12/hillary-clintons-plan-for-ensuring-safe-and-responsible-natural-gas-production/

I’m wondering if Hillary’s team edited this or if they just copied and pasted the industry’s talking points directly:

Domestically produced natural gas can play an important role in the transition to a clean energy economy, creating good paying jobs and careers, lowering energy costs for American families and businesses, and reducing air pollution that disproportionately impacts low income communities and communities of color.

Hillary Clinton has tried to distance herself from the large sums of money she takes from the fossil fuel industry, but their influence over her energy policy could not be more apparent:

Natural gas can play an important role in the transition to a clean energy economy.

Maybe while she was courting fracking financiers in Philadelphia she missed the massive leak at Porter Ranch, where for over 100 days a natural gas storage facility sent a geyser of potent greenhouse gas into the air. Thousands of families were forced to relocate.

Aliso Canyon isn’t alone. The entire fracking process from extraction to delivery is leaking scary amounts of methane, which 20 years after release is 86-times more potent a greenhouse gas than CO2. A new Harvard study found that during the fracking boom the U.S. saw a 30% spike in methane emissions.

Research by Cornell University’s Robert Howarth has shown that over its whole lifecycle, production, distribution and burning of shale gas actually produces more greenhouse gases than coal or oil. When it comes to the climate, natural gas is not a bridge, it’s a gangplank that leads to drowning.

Maybe if Hillary had met with Randy Moyers in Altoona, Pennsylvania on her trip to the Keystone state, she wouldn’t claim fracking is:

creating good paying jobs and careers.

While working as a trucker for the industry, Randy was exposed to the toxic chemicals in fracking wastewater. He got rashes all over his body. His tongue swelled so much his family had to call an ambulance. He has peripheral neuropathy that will prevent him from ever driving a truck again, and he can barely do any of the activities he use to do with his son.

Randy’s not alone. The fatality rate for workers in the oil and gas industry is seven times higher than the national average. Why does Hillary Clinton tout those jobs when wind and solar could generate millions of good-paying jobs?

But the statement on Hillary's website that really flies in the face of science and public health concern has to be this one:

Reducing air pollution that disproportionately impacts low income communities and communities of color.

Hillary Clinton needs to take a trip to Kern County, California where children are playing in schools playground surrounded by fracking wells. She has gone to Flint, but why hasn’t she gone to Dimock, Pennsylvania where families have been without clean water since 2008?

Yes, we definitely need to shut down coal fired power plants that are so often sited in low-income communities and communities of color. But replacing with them fracked gas-fired power plants is no better. These communities have some of the worst air in the country because they have been forced to accept coal-fired plants. They need environmental justice and they need it yesterday. But using this racially charged issue to justify fracked gas is beyond cynical; it's an extension of the injustice these communities have faced for decades. It would take them out of the coal-fired frying pan and put them into the fracked-gas fire.

Here's what Hillary needs to do to put her actual policy positions, as stated on her website, in line with what she said Sunday night:

I do not support fracking because:

It has been proven to contaminate ground water at unacceptable rates nationwide
It worsens climate change — it is the worst fuel we can develop with respect to global warming and greenhouse gas emissions
It cannot be done safely — the industry has never submitted to or passed any adequate safety test
Companies are not currently required to disclose chemicals — that would take an act of congress, until such an act passes I cannot support it
There is no regulatory mechanism in the USA that is currently strong enough to adequately police oil and gas
It has been banned in my home state of New York because of proven negative health effects and environmental damage. If it's not good enough for New York, it's not good enough for me

Let's hope that she can reject the path being paved for her by fossil fuel industry money. Let's hope that she can see that there's climate cliff in front of her, and that real climate leaders know there’s only one way forward, 100% renewable energy.

Luckily for fracktivists there is a presidential candidate who does forthrightly support a ban on fracking for the above reasons: Bernie Sanders.

Josh Fox is an Oscar-nominated filmmaker whose new documentary, "How To Let Go of the World and Love All the Things Climate Can’t Change" airs on HBO June 27. For more information, visit howtoletgomovie.com.

RABEL222

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2016 09:52 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Another opinion piece which is all you and Lash ever post. NO proof what so ever of breaking the law. But if opinion is repeated often enough it takes on the auroa of truth. Which is what you and Lash are hoping for.
Lilkanyon

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2016 10:10 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I am actually on the fence about fracking. I have seen a few documentaries about it. The one was purely anti fracking. Then I saw another that disproved the negative issues of the first. I am not sure about where I stand on fracking technology. I dont know who to trust.
roger

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2016 10:13 pm
@Lilkanyon,
I'm not sure either. I'm certainly enjoying the lower gas prices but don't know how much of that is related to fracking. I do think the makeup of the fluids being used should be disclosed.
Lilkanyon

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2016 10:29 pm
@roger,
OPAC i thought is mad at russia and deliberately keeping prices low to punish them. Tbh? Idk either. The US is doing more oil production then ever before. I worry fracking could harm the environment but the data is sketchy. I have no info I trust to make an i formed opinion on that.
And yes! We drive a gas guzzling old 4x4 truck and the drop in gas is a Godsend. But since I am no follower of the stock market, I dont umderstand the gas phenomenon. Im sure someone here has some insight!
revelette2

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2016 08:17 am
@Lilkanyon,
I agree, I don't anything about fracking. I have several family members involved oil production one way or another and I enjoy the lower gas prices. I agree with clean energy investment but in the meantime, we got to have a way to power our way of life and it seems hypocritical to enjoy all the fruits yet condemn the labor. I do disagree with oil production near ocean and in endangered wild life areas.
RABEL222

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2016 04:40 pm
@revelette2,
With the proper regulation it would be safe, but with a anything goes republican congress I worry about fracking.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2016 05:12 pm
What the frack ?
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 07:05 pm
The more you read about frack the less there is to like!!!!

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-14432401
Lilkanyon

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 02:08 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
It seems no worse then average humanity sucking ground water out of the earth for irrigation and home use. As for the "chemicals" used, Ive read that they are harmless... Like I have said before, I am on the fence about it. I have watched Fracknation and Gasland. Tbh? Fracknation rang more true to me.
roger

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 04:24 pm
@Lilkanyon,
I have also read that the chemicals are harmless. My problem is that I never assume I am getting an unbiased report.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 04:36 pm
@roger,
I have gathered that there is fracking and fracking. I'm also on the fence, more towards anti, if not done well. Well, wells matter too. I don't know enough, but chary. I take it fracking may vary, and does quite a bit.
Lilkanyon

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 04:41 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I have gathered that there is fracking and fracking. I'm also on the fence, more towards anti, if not done well. Well, wells matter too. I don't know enough, but chary. I take it fracking may vary, and does quite a bit.

Sadly, I am thinking short term and glad we are less reliant on foreign oil. What cost it imposes on our environment, is yet to be seen. Since thousands of people are not coming out of the woodworks every day complaining of bad water and earthquakes, so far, I am going to assume its not a catastrophe. Its natural to distrust oil industry.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 04:44 pm
@Lilkanyon,
Actually, a lot of people have.
Lilkanyon

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2016 07:17 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Actually, a lot of people have.

A lot of people have what?
ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2016 10:15 am
@Lilkanyon,
Click on the little green/blue letters with your username at the top of my response where I said "actually some people have" -

that specific post of yours, found by clicking on those letters, was what I was replying to (people coming out of the woodwork re fracking)

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2016 07:24 am
@RABEL222,
Seriously. Its not a fact the Hillary supported fracking? Its not a fact that fracking ruins ground water and causes earthquakes????
Lash

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2016 10:39 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Lots of tremors and smallish earthquakes now in OK.
http://ecowatch.com/2015/11/16/oklahoma-most-earthquakes-fracking/
http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2016/02/17/3749881/oklahoma-wastewater-disposal-lawsuit/

Ground water
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/04/epa-fracking-study_n_7511836.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/fracking-water-contamination/

I don't understand how anyone could be pro-fracking.
Sturgis

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2016 04:56 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
I don't understand how anyone could be pro-fracking.

The word you may need to use is greed. Put enough money on the table and the s.o.b.s at the decision desks ignore all the dangers and warnings.

Same sort of thinking that allowed strip-mining to cut down forests and slice off mountain tops to obtain coal for a lower cost.
And Hell, why bother replenishing the forests when the flooding which would soon occur would mostly hit the people at the lower end of the economic ladder!

Fracking destroys and it ain't worth the devastation.
0 Replies