Is this sentence grammatically incorrect?

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2016 06:51 pm
Sorry if this doesn't end up in the right place, I'm new to this site. Anyway, here's the sentence:

"Their helicopter touched down on a private landing pad of the hotel's roof, complete with its own team of guards to keep away unwanted guests."

The portion after the comma is saying that the roof has its own team of guards. However, the helicopter is the subject of the sentence. Is this grammatically incorrect? If so, what's a better way to write the sentence?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 554 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2016 06:59 pm
@Vyrulent,
"Their helicopter touched down on a private landing pad on the hotel's roof, complete with its own team of guards to keep away unwanted guests."

It might be said to be awkward, but it is not grammatically incorrect. I have no doubt that any number of people will come along to say that it is incorrect, because we have any number of punters here who like to pretend that English has all manner of rules which actually don't exist. Generally, they make these "rules" up for the occasion, but don't you believe it.

To make it less awkward, you might add "which comes" in front of "complete."
0 Replies

NSFW (view)