How to Properly Use English in the Restaurant

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 09:53 pm
Once I attended a foreign class, my foreign teacher told me something about 'server' and 'waitor' or 'waitress'. When they want to order something in a restaurant, they won't call the person who serves you 'waitress' or 'waitor'. Instead, they will call them 'servers'. I don't know why they don't use 'waitor' or 'waitress'. Could anyone help me with this question? Just let me know why we should use 'server' rather than 'waitor'. Thank you guys.
PS: I'm a new guy and from China...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 825 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2016 12:49 am
@TCCGavin0514,
You will not hear anyone who is a native speaker address someone as server. That is a descriptive word, but it is not used as a form of address. You will not see a native speaker write "waitor," because that is not a word in English. The word you wanted was "waiter."

Although a man or woman might approach your table and tell you "I will be your server this evening," one does not address them as server. If you wish to get the attention of your server, you might say: "Waiter?," or you might say: "Miss?" Although it would not be incorrect, I don't believe I've ever heard anyone say "Waitress?" to get the attention of a female server. Say "Waiter?" or "Sir?" or "Miss?" to get the attention of your server.

If you are in China and you say: "Waiter?" I don't think the person you are addressing will know what you are saying. (That was a little joke--the fact that you are in China has no bearing on how the English language is used.)
FIONA97

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2016 05:51 am
@TCCGavin0514,
If you have any requirements in the restaurant, you can just say hello...
Commanly, 'server' is a polite name.
Setanta

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2016 05:53 am
@FIONA97,
Neither of those remarks are true.
TCCGavin0514

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2016 08:04 pm
@Setanta,
Sorry, I don't know what you mean. 'Neither of those remarks are true.' But what you commented on seems right.
0 Replies

TCCGavin0514

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2016 08:12 pm
@Setanta,
Oh, that is really a stupid mistake! A spelling mistake... My foreign teacher said they never use 'waiter' in their country, but I still don't know why... Could you explain more? Yep, we don't need to speak English in a Chinese restaurant. We just use 'waiter' in Chinese. But what if I went abroad and had dinner in a western restaurant?
TCCGavin0514

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2016 08:13 pm
@FIONA97,
Just say 'hello'? Is that ok?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2016 08:20 pm
@TCCGavin0514,
Server is considered gender-neutral and for that reason quite a few people use it instead of waiter or waitress.

It's commonly used when waitstaff introduce themselves : I'm Geoff and I'll be your server.
Lilkanyon

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2016 09:02 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

You will not hear anyone who is a native speaker address someone as server. That is a descriptive word, but it is not used as a form of address. You will not see a native speaker write "waitor," because that is not a word in English. The word you wanted was "waiter."

Although a man or woman might approach your table and tell you "I will be your server this evening," one does not address them as server. If you wish to get the attention of your server, you might say: "Waiter?," or you might say: "Miss?" Although it would not be incorrect, I don't believe I've ever heard anyone say "Waitress?" to get the attention of a female server. Say "Waiter?" or "Sir?" or "Miss?" to get the attention of your server.

If you are in China and you say: "Waiter?" I don't thin
k the person you are addressing will know what you are saying. (That was a little joke--the fact that you are in China has no bearing on how the English language is used.)

I agree Miss or Sir is a good way to call your server to your table. At least in the US it should not be disrespectable.
TCCGavin0514

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 01:38 am
@ehBeth,
Thanks a lot!
0 Replies

TCCGavin0514

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 01:39 am
@Lilkanyon,
Get it! It will be helpful when I am in the US.
Lilkanyon

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2016 07:44 pm
@TCCGavin0514,
TCCGavin0514 wrote:

Get it! It will be helpful when I am in the US.

Actually...thinking on it, would likely be a welcome change from, "Yo! Im outta beer here!" 😝😂😝
0 Replies