Asian Power in the Future

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 08:58 am
Are American politicians asleep at the switch, concentrating their efforts on military adventures in the Middle East? This article from Foreign Affairs may wake up a few of us:

FOREIGN AFFAIRS LINK TO ARTICLE ON ASIAN POWER
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 776 • Replies: 18
No top replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 09:01 am
I cannot get angry at a Giant Panda, for pissing on my tree!

[sorry Light, couldn't resist! Laughing ]
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 09:42 am
Okay, BoGoWo, I have the distinct feeling that wasn't enough time to read the essay. Let's hope their piss is rich in nutrients.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 09:44 am
mine is rich in 'iron'y! :wink:
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 09:45 am
Maybe this is the new "trickle down" theory. Looks like Americans could be trickling down their pant's leg. We're giving the Asian countries an unprecedented amount of business but little of it is actually an investment.
The gallery I recently was director of was in a seaside resort community's harbor facility is being redesigned and reconstructed right now and is owned by Chinese investors.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 09:52 am
Hey, Mr. Wizard and Bo. I cannot support this, but my son once told me that given time, the human race could become more Asian in appearance. Why is that?

('course, Bo, they could become more panda-like, as well. Smile )

The balance of power has always been and will always be a factor in global domination or lack of it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 10:04 am
I'm not impressed by the general quality of products from China especially in my business. My halogen lamps come from Belgium. However, I don't doubt their quality control will improve and I will consider products make in China. The Belgium lamps are, incidentally, a product of a Japanese company who owns the factory in Belgium.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 10:07 am
In a more serious vein (the one leading back to the heart!) this is really a visceral topic, based on 'territory' (and hence 'power').

In a perfect world (ha!), the strengths of the east, and those of the west could be combined for the mutual benefit of all the planet's inhabitants, on an equal basis; but no, all growth has to be viewed as a challenge to the 'status quo', and a threat to the 'god given' right of the west to rule the world?

We are all human beings, and while we don't look identical, in time the differences will disappear into the depths of the gene pool, and we will be forced to treat each other decently, in case they are not the 'other'.

I don't wish to appear to be criticizing only the western attitude in this case, i'm sure the eastern wielders of power will see it as an opportunity to grasp more, as well.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 10:16 am
Well, Bo. There will never be a utopia, because folks like to be different, no? but you are right. One flaw, however, in the common kettle theory. Not everyone will pull his own weight.

Mr. Wizard, Who knows who makes what anymore. I have an Aladdin lamp for which I need a mantle and a chimney. Probably manufacture them in the far East, via Florida. <smile>
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 10:23 am
Hey Letty;

get your Arabian Nights allusions (or perhaps they are illusions) up to date;
Alladin lamps don't have chimneys, or mantels; must be a Coleman Lantern, which, being an 'American' item, is probably entirely made in Asia, in order for the company's share holders to gain from using subsistance Asian labour!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 10:24 am
You do have one of the highest quality lighting fixture manufacturers in your area -- Cambridge Lamps. Beautiful old world design. How long before it's "made in China?" Actually, not long. Many of the parts are now made in China and assembled in their Florida facility. The finishes are the difference but that should be no problem for the Chinese. Commerce is only part of the story if you read the article in full.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 10:28 am
an aside Light;
there is (was?) a town in Japan, by the name of Usa; it was given it's name during the early thrust of manufacturing low quality items in Japan for sale in the west, so they could print on their merchandise
"made in USA"
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 10:50 am
Very Happy Bo, perhaps the difference in your lamp and mine is the spelling...

http://www.aladdincollector.com/

gotcha!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 11:20 am
I know they can make those in China.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 11:20 am
(...and they can make them look antique if one wants fakes). Tons of fake merchandise has come out of China.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 11:33 am
Mr. Wizard, I bought my lamp in Hatteras Island. It was made in HongKong. heh heh.

As Bo knows, I also bought my Dodge Monaco when Lee Iaccocoa was screaming, BUY AMERICAN! Body made in Canada: engine made in France. Hee Hee!

Sam Walton founded his empire based on MADE IN AMERICA... Rolling Eyes

..and we all know about WalMart.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 12:06 pm
I've been over the marketing of WalMart -- have products made to their specifications which look like the standard brand product. Or they are made in rattletrap factories in a third world country with the quality control of Ed Wood.

I fully comprehend what the essay is putting forth and cannot make a lot of commentary on it that would be erudite than the writer. I kind off expected a diversion here and there as it's difficult to absorb the essay in one reading (I've read it three times).

It's just that our polticians have a nice set of bejeweled blinders on -- they always seem to be on the fast track headed in one direction and foreign affairs means who's sleeping with who abroad.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 12:06 pm
Or is that sleeping with abroad?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 12:20 pm
Laughing You're right there, Mr. Wizard. I'll go back and read the essay again.
0 Replies