Can i post my GRE analysis writing essay here ?

iaiau

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 01:04 am
As my subject said, can i post my GRE analysis writing essay here and ask for critics from you ? Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,757 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 03:56 am
Post away.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 06:54 am
Love to see it!
0 Replies

iaiau

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 06:57 am
Can or Can't

You two above give me a problem! Laughing
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 08:13 am
iaiau, you understand that they are both encouraging you to post it, yes?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 10:00 am
iaiau wrote:
Can or Can't

Joe's 'Post away" meant "Post freely or Post at will", while Phoenix meant "I'd like to see your post!" in a very kind manner.

Joe is an American writer with excellent English writing skill, and Phoenix is an English maven here.

So you shouldn't be so shy, just post your essay that was full of inconsistencies (Surely I believe this, because you even could not understand what the two English veterans said here! ) Very Happy
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 03:22 pm
Quote:
English maven

Oristar- If you know that expression, you have certainly mastered the "English" language! Laughing

iaiau - I would be happy to read your essay!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 03:40 pm
Oh boy! Oh Boy!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 03:49 pm
oristarA wrote:
iaiau wrote:
Can or Can't

Joe's 'Post away" meant "Post freely or Post at will", while Phoenix meant "I'd like to see your post!" in a very kind manner.

Joe is an American writer with excellent English writing skill, and Phoenix is an English maven here.

So you shouldn't be so shy, just post your essay that was full of inconsistencies (Surely I believe this, because you even could not understand what the two English veterans said here! ) Very Happy

Now oristar, wouldn't it have been more constructive to mention how much good advice you have received here on your own writing skills as an ESL student, rather than criticize the new person before you have seen their work (I am referring to your last paragraph)? :wink: Language isn't just about structure and correctness, it is also about communication, and learning to talk to others in a positive way. Smile I would also like to see the essay from our new member.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 04:03 pm
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 04:09 pm
cheeky bugger!
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 07:06 pm
Right, now that we've all had a little laugh...

iaiau, you can and may post your article here. It, and you, are welcome.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 10:36 pm
Are there any other forum members who would like to clarify? I still don't get it!
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 10:57 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:
English maven

Oristar- If you know that expression, you have certainly mastered the "English" language! Laughing

Relax. You've signalled a dilemma for me:

(1) If I knew that, it only brings me to the mastery of 'English", not English. And you would find a chance to laugh in your sleeve.
(2) If I didn't know that, you would find a perfect reason to make fun of me.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 11:14 pm
I'm not sure but I think that Phoenix may have been making a joke about the fact that Americans like to call their version of English American. You know, so that English people speak English and American people speak American.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, Phoenix.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 11:34 pm
@ Tryagain: Please check out all posts that iaiau put. You will find out what i said is just a painful fact.

After having read all the posts (all of them are very short), let's continue --
I can write an endless "article" in English. But the question is how to make your readers love to read your article, not that how long an article
you can write. Because my English knowledge,in most of times,
is insufficient to make my readers feel comfortable when reading.Of course I'd like to expose all defects in my writings to English mavens, so as to get good advices from them. Because they were all so kind.
Why not do so too, iaiau?
0 Replies

iaiau

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 04:28 am
Yes, i misunderstood the meaning of "Post away", which i thought to be "opposition", and now, i realize it.

It may be a problem to me, not just for the phrase.

I find there is a abyss between how i think and how American think. Embarrassed

Below is a issue topic from my exam pool that "It is necessary for everyone to read poetry, novels, mythology and other types of imaginative literature."
And the belows are required:
1. Present an insightful position on the issue
2.develop the position

I surely can stand on a position. Then when i turn to the reference book, i find what i consider is very superficial. At the same time, i find the distinctive thoughtway indicated in the sample essay. One of my friends tell to fit for the thoughtway of American and think like them. But how can i do? How can i write a essay like a USA student do?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 04:36 am
"Post away" is idiomatic. It's easy to understand why you were confused. I would suggest just writing the essay from your point of view, with your opinions. The spelling and grammar can be corrected later. The important thing, at the beginning, is to write from your heart, write what you feel. Some people may disagree with me, but I think that a unique perspective on a 'superficial' question will be noticed by the examiners.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 07:12 am
Do you want to stick to the thoughtway that Americans think?

What thoughtway do Americans follow?

Behold --

For GOP, they always try to put Democratic Party in a hot seat, and
vice versa.

Will you refuse both Bush and Kerry and go between? Will you seek for other parties because of they are of Americans? Yes? All right, American Communist Party is one of alternatives. Since the party is legal in the United States. Gosh, do really (some) Americans think in a way of communism? That's it. Now ask back yourself: will you insist on that you want to stick to the thoughtway that Americans think?

There is no particular thoughtway for all Americans, expect a "particular" motto for them: Give me liberty, or give me death.

It is a beloved maxim for all Americans. It is the root from which Americans' thoughtway has been flourishing.

But for the humans on the planet who grope for true democracy, it is a beloved motto for them all,too.

Listen to what American soldiers sing: Minute men, from the start, Always fighting from the heart, And the Army keeps rolling along.

Now turn to see what cavfancier spoke to you.

Apparently cavfancier has got it right: "The important thing, at the beginning, is to write from your heart, write what you feel.'

That's it, that is the thoughtway that Americans always stick to.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 07:23 am
iaiau, You do not have to write as Americans write. Just do a survey on the choices that you have been given, and present an outline of what you have researched. An outline is crucial to developing your position in a coherent manner. Leave your thesis statement until later. Is this clear to you?
0 Replies