Natural Nuts

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 05:29 pm
I'm bothered by this whole "natural" craze.

Natural products are in no way safer, better, or more "natural" than products whose names are more difficult to pronounce.

In fact, in most cases they are more dangerous because most plants contain natural irritants and unless they are doing serious damage to humans, these products are unregulated by the FDA.

What is it that makes people equate "natural" with safe? Is it the fact that it is something they would eat? Or that it reminds them of folk remedy which reminds them of home? Maybe they don't like chemicals they don't understand in the ingredients list.

I trust testing to tell me when things work and when things don't. The cosmetics/pharmacutical companies can make just about any outrageous claim they want to (and do) but at least the FDA regulates them through testing somewhat. They don't regulate "Natural" products! Sure, there are things that work that aren't your standard american chemical formulas (a lot of Eastern medicine, for example), but those things should be just as effective under testing conditions!

I'm ticked. Every time I go to the store and look at the beauty isle it makes me roll my eyes. The other day I heard this salesclerk convince a customer to buy a $60 container of moisterizer claiming to erase scars and eliminate wrinkles (nope.) What do you guys think?

I wish there was a certified "no bull" sticker for beauty & health products - one that garunteed substantiated claims.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 899 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 05:51 pm
Poison Ivy is completely natural.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 05:57 pm
And marijuana is herbal.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 06:00 pm
There's a local taco restaurant that has words on the wallpaper to entice their customers, like "ripe tomatos," "Fresh lettuce," and so on. But one of phrase really bothers me. It is "Real ingredients."

What does that mean? What would qualify as unreal/fake ingredients? What motivated them to assure us?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 07:09 pm
I read recently, that consumers developed hepatitis from eating raw almonds.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 07:37 pm
Still, I would rather have natural nuts than the artificial kind.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 06:32 am
Laughing
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 12:04 pm
I think the blind trust in "natural" ingredients and "organic" foods and "herbal" remedies is one manifestation of the deep distrust that many American have for scientific theory and intellectualism of any other sort.

We're all equal under the law, right? Everyone's entitled to an opinion, right? Just because people have college degrees, this doesn't make them "experts", right?

As citizens of a democracy, we pride ourselves on our exceptional "common" sense. Civilization is flawed--civilization causes pollution. Nature is good--all is harmony in the great chain of being.

Once upon a time Old Wive's Tales were horror stories. Now granny medicine--alternative medicine, if you'd rather--trumps the sterile knowledge of the guys in the white coats.

Therefore, doctors will be distrusted and ignored and people will pay billions of dollars for herbs picked by strangers and packed without quality control. "Natural" is good.

Chaos and irrationality are also "natural".
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 01:17 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
I think the blind trust in "natural" ingredients and "organic" foods and "herbal" remedies is one manifestation of the deep distrust that many American have for scientific theory and intellectualism of any other sort.

I guess you can't blame them for distrusting science - with so much Pseudoscience being blared at them in advertising all day.

For example, the words "non-allergenic" have no meaning on a product - this phrase is completely unregulated. Today I heard an advertisement for paper towels with "Advanced hydro-sorb technology."

So yeah, bring on the plants that we understand, especially ones that smell/taste good and hope they cure things, and hope they are good for washing your hair... Because we all know that roses and Kiwifruits selectively evolved to be able to taste good to animals -and- cure gout and get your hair squeaky-clean. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 02:14 pm
Portal Star--

You've covered almost all the bases--although I don't think I've seen miracle kiwi fiber used for cleaning bathrooms or scrubbing floors.

Some days a body can get nostalgic for industrial strength Pine Sol--an honest chemical stink for covering honest organic stinks
0 Replies