Love of Learning…Love of School

Linkat

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 12:45 pm
My daughter is embarking on her education! She starts kindergarten this fall. When I was a young child, I loved school and loved learning. I even lied to my mom once that I was NOT sick when I really was, just so I would not miss one day of school. I threw up before class even started and was sent home.

I think this was just who I was as my older brother hated school. Any suggestions on how I could instill this same love of school to my daughter? I always try to be enthusiastic and talk about all the wonderful things she will learn.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,265 • Replies: 14
No top replies

princesspupule

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 01:02 pm
Just be enthused and active in listening to her talk about her day, and she'll probably love school as much as you did.
0 Replies

apmom1266

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 12:21 am
The two are not the same.
I too loved learning, but then found out that school had so very little to do with it. When I was 6yrs old I was well ahead of my classmates, and terribly bored with Kindergarten, but they still didn't bother to move me up to 1st grade. By 3rd grade I thoroughly detested school; I was so bored, and wasn't even allowed to read a book or work on one of those storebought workbooks after completing classwork.
Even if your child has to go to school, you should continue to encourage a love of learning. Use weekends to read and do some fun and exciting experiments. It might be very difficult, and you will probably have to fight an ongoing battle with your daughter's school, but make sure the teacher knows that you encourage learning. Remind the school that you will not permit your child to be punished for reading above grade level, and you will let her take a book to school to read after classwork is completed. You may also want to be very strict about the homework situation as well; you can be sure that they'll either send home work that is so beneath your daughters level, or the work they should have been doing in class in the first place.
We've been through the whole dreadful battle with the school system. Mind you, my son had special educational needs, so we just couldn't wait for them to start providing him with an adequate education. However, if your child doesn't have any special educational needs(whether advanced or challenged) then you will probably have time to let the school district know that you mean business, and won't tolerate less than what you're child needs.
I wish you good luck. Remember, learning and school don't neccessarily mean the same thing; you can encourage a love of learning in your children in spite of the school system.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 02:29 am
apmom1266 wrote:
The two are not the same.
I too loved learning, but then found out that school had so very little to do with it. When I was 6yrs old I was well ahead of my classmates, and terribly bored with Kindergarten, but they still didn't bother to move me up to 1st grade. By 3rd grade I thoroughly detested school; I was so bored, and wasn't even allowed to read a book or work on one of those storebought workbooks after completing classwork.
Even if your child has to go to school, you should continue to encourage a love of learning. Use weekends to read and do some fun and exciting experiments. It might be very difficult, and you will probably have to fight an ongoing battle with your daughter's school, but make sure the teacher knows that you encourage learning. Remind the school that you will not permit your child to be punished for reading above grade level, and you will let her take a book to school to read after classwork is completed. You may also want to be very strict about the homework situation as well; you can be sure that they'll either send home work that is so beneath your daughters level, or the work they should have been doing in class in the first place.
We've been through the whole dreadful battle with the school system. Mind you, my son had special educational needs, so we just couldn't wait for them to start providing him with an adequate education. However, if your child doesn't have any special educational needs(whether advanced or challenged) then you will probably have time to let the school district know that you mean business, and won't tolerate less than what you're child needs.
I wish you good luck. Remember, learning and school don't neccessarily mean the same thing; you can encourage a love of learning in your children in spite of the school system.

Wow, apmom, I don't even know where to begin. School doesn't have to be a battle ground. Some schools are supportive of students and learning. I can't imagine approaching a kindergarten situation the way you make it sound... I wouldn't approach kindergarten thinking anything is dreadful, or a battle...
0 Replies

apmom1266

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 10:47 pm
princesspupule wrote:
Wow, apmom, I don't even know where to begin. School doesn't have to be a battle ground. Some schools are supportive of students and learning. I can't imagine approaching a kindergarten situation the way you make it sound... I wouldn't approach kindergarten thinking anything is dreadful, or a battle...

Unfortunately, it's more common that you know. I've read about more schools and teachers that are adamantly against children reading before 2nd grade than those who encourage it. Yes, there are some good schools that respect and strive for academic excellence; too bad, those aren't in the majority.
Actually, it wasn't as bad when I was a kid as it is now. At least then we were learning to read in Kindergarten. These days, kids will be lucky if they've learned(in school) to recognize the alphabet and the sounds of each letter. A friend was basically ordered not to work with her son on reading. Why? Because he'd be too far advance than his peers and it could cause damage to their self-esteem. Never mind that he wanted to do it, never mind that HE was ready to learn to read; he was told not to read and allowed to check out only picture books from the school library. Guess what she did? She followed the teacher's orders. Does her son like school? No, he absolutely hates it. He likes to read, he likes math, and he likes to learn but he's not supposed to do any of those things above his grade level; not even outside of school. Is that not just the saddest thing?
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 03:50 am
apmom1266 wrote:
I've read about more schools and teachers that are adamantly against children reading before 2nd grade than those who encourage it. Yes, there are some good schools that respect and strive for academic excellence; too bad, those aren't in the majority.
Actually, it wasn't as bad when I was a kid as it is now. At least then we were learning to read in Kindergarten. These days, kids will be lucky if they've learned(in school) to recognize the alphabet and the sounds of each letter. A friend was basically ordered not to work with her son on reading. Why? Because he'd be too far advance than his peers and it could cause damage to their self-esteem. Never mind that he wanted to do it, never mind that HE was ready to learn to read; he was told not to read and allowed to check out only picture books from the school library. Guess what she did? She followed the teacher's orders. Does her son like school? No, he absolutely hates it. He likes to read, he likes math, and he likes to learn but he's not supposed to do any of those things above his grade level; not even outside of school. Is that not just the saddest thing?

Reading doesn't define learning or school, apmom. There is so much more to learning than one aspect! And, quite frankly, I am skeptical that a teacher would say such a thing to your friend... are you sure that she didn't misunderstand??? I ask this only because that she would actually follow such idiocy paints her smack into the stoopid korner, kwim? The "no child left behind" policy may prove to be a double edged sword in some few cases, but generally teachers are a sensible lot who love learning themselves, or else they wouldn't have chosen that profession, and I really cannot imagine a whole school district full of senselessness as you have described. But, if there were such a district, I would blur the line of "things above grade level." After all, ought we not all have taken out kindergarteners out to see Perseids the other night? Then a discussion about shooting stars, a visit to astronomers with telescopes, maybe making meteors out of dry ice and dirt? Grade level is an arbitrary assignment, kwim? There is so much to try and investigate- it really should precede kindergarten, and continue to the very end of our days...

You asked at the end of your post if what you wrote was not the saddest thing, and apmom, I must agree that what you wrote is indeed sad, but not for the reasons you present. There is a note of bitterness and resignation to your posts on this topic, and to me, that is the saddest thing of all.
0 Replies

apmom1266

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 03:58 pm
princesspupule wrote:
Reading doesn't define learning or school, apmom. There is so much more to learning than one aspect! And, quite frankly,

True, reading isn't the only aspect of education and learning; but reading does usually come before math, social studies, and science in the early grades. I mention reading because it sets a foundation for learning; if one can read well(this includes comprehension) then s/he can learn just about anything. Math is also an important foundation, but that's not covered any better than reading in Kindergarten; they learn their numbers(which most 5yrs olds should already know) and how to sort little objects.

princesspupule wrote:
I am skeptical that a teacher would say such a thing to your friend... are you sure that she didn't misunderstand??? I ask this only because that she would actually follow such idiocy paints her smack into the stoopid korner, kwim?

No, this wasn't misunderstood. Do some more research, you will find that it's a fairly common theme in today's public school system. Yes, I love my friend like my own sister and I adore her son, but for being a really smart young woman she can be a bit dense; sometimes she does belong in the "stoopid korner" Crying or Very sad . Mind you the idea the children shouldn't be allowed to learn to read before their classmates is rampant in Oklahoma schools, but it's also happening in schools in other states.

princesspupule wrote:
The "no child left behind" policy may prove to be a double edged sword in some few cases, but generally teachers are a sensible lot who love learning themselves, or else they wouldn't have chosen that profession, and I really cannot imagine a whole school district full of senselessness as you have described.

The "no child left behind" policy actually makes no difference. Children will still continue to be taught to the test, special ed childen will still not be considered in school-wide testing, and children will still be left woefully unprepared for college.

princesspupule wrote:
But, if there were such a district, I would blur the line of "things above grade level." After all, ought we not all have taken out kindergarteners out to see Perseids the other night? Then a discussion about shooting stars, a visit to astronomers with telescopes, maybe making meteors out of dry ice and dirt? Grade level is an arbitrary assignment, kwim? There is so much to try and investigate- it really should precede kindergarten, and continue to the very end of our days...

I agree that sciences should be included in kindergarten as well as the higher grades. I think your experiment would be so cool. Unfortunately, we homeschoolers are often held to the school district's "grade levels". Our children can read above grade level, have an amazing understanding of biology, but be a bit more challenged by math and we're not doing our job. Fortunately, Oklahoma is a wonderful state for home educating, but that can't be said for every state. It also seems that the worse a school performs the more difficult it is to tailor a curriclum to an individuals strengths, challenges, interests, and learning styles. In our home, we don't consider "grade levels" as anything more than a guideline; certainly not something to adhere to in any strict sense.

princesspupule wrote:
You asked at the end of your post if what you wrote was not the saddest thing, and apmom, I must agree that what you wrote is indeed sad, but not for the reasons you present. There is a note of bitterness and resignation to your posts on this topic, and to me, that is the saddest thing of all.

For me it's the saddest thing for children who have no option but a school system that forces them to follow a curriculum that has been designed to try to make all children learn the same things at the same pace. I am resigned to the fact that we won't use the public school system, but I'm not resigned to the idea that it cannot be changed. It's our duty to work hard to change the system. Children NEED to have something better.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 04:40 pm
You can't make a child become interested in learning. Take an interest in her education, yes, but don't overdo the enthusiasm. Don't get all gushy over some simplistic crayon drawing; what do you do then when she really does make an improvement. More importantly, take an interest when you see her developing an interest in something, no matter how much you hate it.

Also, children do what you do, not what you say. If she sees you being interested in learning, yourself, that will influence her, though it may take many years for her to manifest that interest in learning.

Most importantly though, don't overdo your enthusiasm. Children see right through that as pressure.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 04:52 pm
I agree with you coluber. Linkat, Just be a role model for your sweet child. Love of learning comes first from the home.

My daughter, unfortunately, had a lousy teacher who smacked her when she used her left hand. Not a good way to start, is it, but eventually she had a great second grade teacher.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 05:48 pm
apmom1266 wrote:

princesspupule wrote:
I am skeptical that a teacher would say such a thing to your friend... are you sure that she didn't misunderstand??? I ask this only because that she would actually follow such idiocy paints her smack into the stoopid korner, kwim?

No, this wasn't misunderstood. Do some more research, you will find that it's a fairly common theme in today's public school system.

I did research it, apmom, and have not found any evidence that it is a common theme. Nor can I find evidence of this:

Quote:
apmom1266 wrote:
I've read about more schools and teachers that are adamantly against children reading before 2nd grade than those who encourage it. Yes, there are some good schools that respect and strive for academic excellence; too bad, those aren't in the majority.
Can you back up your claims w/evidence? Or is this all conjecture on your part?
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 05:59 pm
coluber2001 wrote:
You can't make a child become interested in learning.

Really? You don't think piquing their interest does this?

Quote:
If she sees you being interested in learning, yourself, that will influence her, though it may take many years for her to manifest that interest in learning.
I agree: your interest will influence your child's. Therefore, ask questions and be interested! To quote Joni Mitchell, "Life is for learning!"
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 08:03 am
The two may not be the same, but they can co-exist. They did for me. It seems you had an issue with the school. If this were to occur with my daughter, that she loved learning, but there was a problem with the school, to me the solution is simple move her to a different school.

I am fortunate in that we found a school that has very dedicated teachers and expects the parents to work with them. This school actually has children begin reading in kindergarten. The teachers expect the parents to encourage learning and to work with the children on their homework. As a matter of fact the teacher requires a ten-week workbook to work with your child to get them ready for kindergarten. The two should not be mutually exclusive. So lucky for us, we should not have this problem.

I do try to increase her interest, more by taking her lead. For example, she loves books so I pointed out that this new school has a library. That sort of thing. I let her know that the teacher will help her learn to read, etc.
0 Replies

apmom1266

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 04:06 pm
[quote="princesspupuleCan you back up your claims w/evidence? Or is this all conjecture on your part?[/quote]

No, I cannot back up what the teacher said to my friend when she was enrolling her son in kindergarten. However, I think you might try checking with a lot of other home schoolers who pulled their children out of school for educational reasons(rather than religious). I think you might be suprised that a lot of people have some pretty rough dealings with the public school system; that's why a lot of us no longer feel it's best to trust the very important task of educating our children to one person who has 29 other children to deal with. Then there's also the fact that the public school method of education has often been likened to a conveyor belt style of education; a conveyor belt may work well for mass producing cars, but in terms of education it only serves to mass produce worker drones. My child's an individual, with his own learning styles and interest, and may not be as challenged by one subject as your child is, yet may have more difficulty in a subject that your child finds simple.
No one can deny that the public school system isn't loaded with problems, and there isn't a single person who can deny that home education isn't potentially superior, but I'm not trying to discourage Linkat from utilizing the public school system; I'm merely pointing out that s/he must be realistic when entering her child into such a system. It doesn't work for everyone, but if it works for her child then more power to them.

For Linkat, I wish you and your daughter the best of luck. From what you described the school your family is using should be wonderful. I hope that your daughter enjoys her schooling, I hope she gets a good education, but most importantly I hope she loves learning all her life.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 04:27 pm
I applaud both of you, Linkat and apmom1266. From what I've seen over the years, it is the children with parents who are involved in their education that do well academically...regardless of where they receive their schooling.

My son is in a very good public school. I am not a professional teacher, and I do not wish to be one. That is not where my talents lie. However, I do spend many hours every week with him on homework & reading, and I know that has made a huge difference.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 07:27 am
Thank you apmom - you are certainly right, there are major issues with the public school systems, however, and where I live it varies from town to town. That is why I did a little research before deciding for my child. I agree the most important thing is to love learning and depending on the school it can either hinder or help this love.

I agree Eva - it is important to be involved. Even though I work full time, I plan on making myself available for helping at the school whenever possible and for any important events. I have already looked over the school calendar and arranged for days off from work (luckily I have lots of vacation time), during any important days.
0 Replies