Iran champion in Olympic protest

au1929

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 01:46 pm
The conflict with Israel is based upon religion. The Iranians are about as concerned about the Palestinians as a fly on horse manure.
I can't help but wonder if the Israeli athlete was an Israeli Palestinian or Christian would Ithe reaction have been the same?
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 01:49 pm
au1929 wrote:
I can't help but wonder if the Israeli athlete was an Israeli Palestinian or Christian would Ithe reaction have been the same?

I think ANY Israeli athlete would be boycotted, no matter what religion. Competing against Israel would mean - according to Iranian rhetoric - acknowledging Israel as being a country. For what I know, Iran does not seem to accept Israel as being an independent country.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 01:52 pm
au1929 wrote:
The conflict with Israel is based upon religion. The Iranians are about as concerned about the Palestinians as a fly on horse manure.

You are right, the conflict with Israel is based upon religion. The extreme right wing in Israel believes that all of the land, including the west bank and gaza belong to the Jews because God gave it to them. Therefore they have to remove all of the muslims so that they can have a Jewish state. If they simply absorbed them (as would be the humane thing to do) then they would no longer have a Jewish majority. If they don't absorb them then they either have to occupy their lands or allow them to have their own separate, contiguous state beside them -- meaning they don't get all of the land God promised them. That is why this conflict is impossible to solve. It is about religion, just not the Muslim one.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 01:59 pm
Freeduck
You are on the wrong thread if you want to argue about Israel's right to exist as a Jewish State. There must be dozens that you can find on that subject.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 02:09 pm
Rick d'Israeli wrote:
For what I know, Iran does not seem to accept Israel as being an independent country.

and as a sovereign country.

But weird, that Israel not withdraw in judo against him...
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 02:10 pm
Israel knows how to behave at the Olympics.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 01:24 am
Now he can not fight, because he has overweight.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 11:21 am
That's actually quite funny :wink:
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 01:48 pm
and now he takes this still as boykott and the crackpots of the iran goverment praise it.

That's just no sport!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 03:29 pm
au1929 wrote:
Freeduck
You are on the wrong thread if you want to argue about Israel's right to exist as a Jewish State. There must be dozens that you can find on that subject.

You opened the door by asserting that the conflict is about religion -- I was just agreeing with you.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 03:46 pm
FreeDuck
This post is about why the Iranian will not compete with the Israeli. Not whether Israel has the right to exist. As I said there are several that deal with that subject. If you are interesting in debating that subject I would suggest you join one. I for one am spent on that subject.Your choice.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 04:02 pm
au1929 wrote:
FreeDuck
This post is about why the Iranian will not compete with the Israeli. Not whether Israel has the right to exist. As I said there are several that deal with that subject. If you are interesting in debating that subject I would suggest you join one. I for one am spent on that subject.Your choice.

I don't recall where I made any argument regarding anyone's right to exist, and I bristle at your 'go find another thread' crap. Did you post a thread about why an Iranian athlete will not compete with an Israeli due to Iranian sanctions against Israel and hope to avoid the reasons behind the sanctions on Israel? Did you post this thread so that you could talk about what a horrible dirty muslim extremist this guy is and how evil his country is? If that's the case then I will most certainly take your advice and find another thread.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 04:05 pm
Whoa there free duck! I've read your posts since you came aboard and you're nothing but polite. Don't let Au get your ire up. He ain't the sheriff. He's a great debater and smart as a whip. Everybody gets chippy once in a while.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 04:42 pm
FreeDuck
To Begin with I did not post this thread.

au1929 wrote:
Quote:
I can't help but wonder if the Israeli athlete was an Israeli Palestinian or Christian would The reaction have been the same?

FreeDuck wrote
Quote:
You are right, the conflict with Israel is based upon religion. The extreme right wing in Israel believes that all of the land, including the West bank and Gaza belong to the Jews because God gave it to them. Therefore they have to remove all of the Muslims so that they can have a Jewish State. If they simply absorbed them (as would be the humane thing to do) then they would no longer have a Jewish majority. If they don't absorb them then they either have to occupy their lands or allow them to have their own separate, contiguous state beside them -- meaning they don't get all of the land God promised them. That is why this conflict is impossible to solve. It is about religion, just not the Muslim one.

Now explain to me how my statement could have elicited your response. Again if you want to discuss Israel, it's right to exist as a Jewish State, a Palestinian State, the West bank and Gaza there are threads a plenty on that subject.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 06:47 pm
au, I think it's pretty clear how your statement elicited my response, though I will confess that I confused you with McG initially -- sorry. Anyway, you said the conflict is about religion but seemed to imply that it was because of muslim religious bias.

Quote:
I can't help but wonder if the Israeli athlete was an Israeli Palestinian or Christian would The reaction have been the same?

Either way, what I said was not meant as a condemnation of Israel. It was meant only as an explanation of the impossibility of the conflict. And that impossibility is, like it or not, due to the fact that Israel is and wants to remain a Jewish state. This would be where I agree with you that the conflict is based on religion. What I said was not intended to mean that Israel does not have the right to exist as a Jewish state or even to bring that into debate.

As for the Iranian olimpian, I don't see how he personally has a choice but to do what I'm sure his country has asked or told him to do.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 08:00 am
FreeDuck

Quote:
Anyway, you said the conflict is about religion but seemed to imply that it was because of Muslim religious bias.

Since it was the Iranian or his government that refuses to allow the match. In this instance is there any doubt on who the bias rests if indeed it can be called bias. IMO it is simply meaningless foolishness. .
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 05:43 am
FreeDuck wrote:
... though I will confess that I confused you with McG initially -- sorry.

Auch! That's one gotta hurt.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 06:07 am
Yes, it did.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 06:45 am
McG
For once you were in good company. But don't let it go to your head it was just a fleeting honor. Embarrassed
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 02:06 pm
Olympic Federation Believes Iranian Judoka Despite Quote, History
01:42 Aug 20, '04 / 3 Elul 5764

The International Judo Federation (IJF) refrained from penalizing the Iranian delegation to the Athens Olympics today, accepting Iranian judoka Arash Mir-Esmaeili’s claim that a medical condition left him too heavy to fight - despite his announcement to the Iranian IRNA news agency that he had refused to fight an Israeli opponent.

Mir-Esmaeili, a two-time champion who carried the Iranian flag at the opening Olympic ceremony, was more than five kilograms over the limit when weighed in to fight Israeli Ehud Vaks.

According to the BBC, the IJF accepted Mir-Esmaeili’s claim that he had no pre-planned intention not to fight. "The IJF has no rule for penalizing overweight athletes," the body said, quoting Mir-Esmaeili saying he had "made no statement of any sort to any press."

According to IRNA, Mir-Esmaeili said the following after his cancelled bout against Vaks: "Although I have trained for months and was in good shape, I refused to fight my Israeli opponent to sympathize with the suffering of the people of Palestine and I do not feel upset at all."

Iranian judo competitors pulled out of two fights against Israeli opponents at the 2001 world judo championships.

Although Iran's President Mohammad Khatami lauded Mir-Esmaeili's actions, saying that they would be recorded among Iran’s glories, the Iranian Olympic team told the IJF that the judoka had suffered from digestive problems since arriving in Athens and had therefore been unable to lose enough weight to take part in the fight.
0 Replies