Iran champion in Olympic protest

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 10:02 am
One of Iran's best hopes for an Olympic medal has withdrawn from the games.

World judo champion Arash Miresmaili has pulled out because he was drawn against an Israeli athlete in the first round of the tournament.

The Iranian government has a policy of strict sanctions against Israel, which forbids any contact with Israeli citizens under any circumstances.

Mr Miresmaili had been chosen to carry Iran's flag at the Olympic opening ceremony on Friday night.

He said he was proud to withdraw from the Olympics, in solidarity with the Palestinian people.

Good to know that we can seperate religion from the Olympics Rolling Eyes

link
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,723 • Replies: 39
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 10:05 am
Quote:

Good to know that we can seperate religion from the Olympics

Where does this article say anything about religion?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 10:06 am
Isn't it possible that Iran's sanctions against Israel are on humanitarian grounds?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 10:27 am
No.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 10:30 am
If Miresmaili was really opposed to Israel then he should have gone out there and kicked the Israel's ass. That's what Judo champions are SUPPOSED to do!
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 10:53 am
NickFun wrote:
If Miresmaili was really opposed to Israel then he should have gone out there and kicked the Israel's ass. That's what Judo champions are SUPPOSED to do!

absolutely; exactly

But that's the garbage policy from Iran and sometimes also other countries...

and the sports to lose...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 12:10 pm
McGentrix wrote:
No.

Why not?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 12:34 pm
I am not saying I support this protest-- but it is clearly a political act, not a religious one.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 12:37 pm
a political act based on a religious tenet in observance of the sanctions against Israel which is considered a zionist intrusion in the middle east.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 12:45 pm
McGentrix wrote:
a political act based on a religious tenet in observance of the sanctions against Israel which is considered a zionist intrusion in the middle east.

I'm with e on this one. A political act based on a religious tenet in observance of political sanctions? Can you be a little more specific on exactly where religion comes in?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 12:50 pm
McGentrix wrote:

Couldn't you say the same thing about the actions of Rosa Parks or Nelson Mandela?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 01:04 pm
No.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 01:17 pm
McGentrix wrote:
No.

Why not?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 01:20 pm
You're kidding, right? Why isn't an olympic athelete from Iran forfeiting his match against an Isaraeli due to the fact that his home country hates jews different from the actions of Rosa Parks and Nelson Mandela? That the question you need help with??
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 01:32 pm
McGentrix wrote:
You're kidding, right? Why isn't an olympic athelete from Iran forfeiting his match against an Isaraeli due to the fact that his home country hates jews different from the actions of Rosa Parks and Nelson Mandela? That the question you need help with??

You didn't read your own article.

He is not forfeiting his match due to the "fact his home country hates jews". He is foreiting the match "in solidarity with the Palestinians."

I am not sure if you are aware of this, but the Israeli Government and the Palestinians have been engaged in a horrible political dispute over land. Many people, including non-religious people and even some Jewish people, believe that Israel has acted irresponsibily and even brutally in this conflict.

Many of us boycotted South Africa in the 70's and 80's for the political reasons. At the time I was religious, but the fact I supported these boycotts had nothing to do with my religion.

Your posts on this thread say more about your prejudices than his. The article says "Israeli citizen" (a political designation) not "Jew" and doesn't even mention religion. You are the one who read religion into this.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 03:16 pm
I do believe Iran is overreacting - we're talking about the Olympics, world sports, not a battleground for politics.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 03:24 pm
I agree with you there Rick.

Iran and McGentrix are both overreacting. Let's move on.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 03:46 pm
exactly

Thok wrote:

and the sports to lose...
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 09:13 pm
I also agree with Rick. What does nationality or religion or politics have to do with kicking ass? Judo is a competition between people not countries!
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 07:18 am
the judoka finally pulls out from his withrew.

The sport wins.
0 Replies