Correct use of words 'sign' and 'graphics'

ashcal

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2016 11:42 am
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to figure out the correct way of using a business name. The business is for those working in the sign and graphics industry. Tell me, does 'the sign and graphics school' make sense, or should 'sign' be plural, so it is 'the signs and graphics school'? I'm unsure as a large association, the BSGA (british signs and graphics association) uses the plural. Also, does 'the graphical school' make sense? There is a sign and graphics business called 'the graphical tree', so I figured it must?

Thank you so much for your help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 744 • Replies: 8
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2016 12:20 pm
@ashcal,
Ash, hope this of some use

http://www.onelook.com/?w=*&loc=revfp2&clue=signs+and+graphics
ashcal

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 06:06 am
@dalehileman,
Hi Dale,
thanks so much for your help. I am unsure of what I am looking at though, the link doesn't appear to be working.

Thanks again!
Ash
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 11:35 am
@dalehileman,
Sorry Ash. I am mystified. Anyhow, enter "signs and graphics" in OneLook's Reverse Dictionary
ashcal

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 02:34 pm
@dalehileman,
Thanks for the site link. It's a great site. Although I am now even more confused! The word 'sign' is a noun, the word 'signage' is a plural for signs.

'Graphics' is a plural noun, But is treated as singular. Its definition is:
"The products of the graphic arts, especially commercial design or illustration."

Therefore, which phrase is correct? There are no results for the phrase 'sign and graphics' OR 'signs and graphics' I am so sorry to be a hindrance, I really appreciate any help I can get.
ashcal

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 02:52 pm
@ashcal,
Just looking at the wikipedia definition for signage, it refers to signage as the design or use of signs and symbols to communicate a message . It also says that signs are any kind of visual graphics created to display information to a particular audience. Therefore, would using the word 'signs' in my phrase be pointless if it comes under graphics anyway?

I'm actually a sign-maker myself but so confused right now. We don't really think about the correct use of these words, but we should. What confuses me is that a large organisation such as the British Signs and Graphics Association is using this grammar, so it must be correct right?
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 05:12 pm
@ashcal,
Quote:
There are no results for the phrase 'sign and graphics' OR 'signs and graphics'
Ash, there should be. I'v e never been refused in the Reverse Dictionary. Maybe you're doing something wrong
ashcal

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2016 04:20 pm
@dalehileman,
Hi Dale,
I figured it out and it searches now. To be honest though, I don't know how it is supposed to help as it just comes up with a list of related words. Perhaps I am being a complete idiot though, I'm not sure!
dalehileman

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2016 01:25 pm
@ashcal,
Yea Ash, using Reverse Dictionary as a last resort I am also often disappointed in the results. You're by no means the idiot; best of luck
0 Replies