Will I get fired?

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2016 09:59 am
So basically i thought I had the day off, I read my rota wrongly... I was supposed to be in this Thursday but as I said I thought I had the day off so I didn't phone or call either, I went in the next day and saw that it was Friday I had off Instead of Thursday so I went home I also have today off too. What is the likelihood I will get fired for this I'm terrified I will as I am still in my probation period been there about 2 weeks now. So in short ivr taken an extra day off that I wasn't entitled too. Am I screwed?

snood

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2016 10:20 am
@Billymead8,
Yes
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2016 10:29 am
@Billymead8,
So you went in, saw you had that day off, turned around, walked out?

Didn't occur to you to talk to a manager, your boss, anyone about it while you were standing there?

Oh. No one else was standing there to ask? Maybe walk around and find someone, or phone (or call, whatever that difference is, apparantly there is a difference from your post), text, email?

When you didn't show up for work on Thursday, no one tried to contact you to find out where you were?

It's not so much you took an extra day off, but you don't have the mindset to think who you should be talking to about this. Like your employer.

So you haven't shown up for 2 days straight. If I were your employer I would assume you walked off the job, quit, without telling anyone.

Billymead8

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2016 10:32 am
@chai2,
No I didn't do any of that I'm an idiot, I know. I really should have said something there and then I feel so ******* stupid right now, it would be 3 days j haven't shown up, the last 2 days being the actual days off I was scheduled for anyway
Billymead8

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2016 10:34 am
@Billymead8,
And no I didn't receive a call
chai2

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2016 10:44 am
@Billymead8,
You have learned the lesson for your next job to keep your employer in the loop with anything that goes on as far as when if effects your work.

You haven't shown up a 3rd day? Were you supposed to work? Is it possible you could pick up your phone right now and make a phone call?

However, you have no called/no showed for 2, maybe 3 days.

On your next job application, do not include this place.

Also, pay more attention to your schedule in the future, and if you have any doubts, call them.

If you were a boss, would you hire you in the first place?

Be the person you would hire.

Good luck.
Billymead8

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2016 10:53 am
@chai2,
Yeah I wasn't supposed to work today and yesterday, I will call them today, just not sure how to word it at the moment. Thanks for your advice
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2016 03:47 pm
@Billymead8,
Cool

http://oi64.tinypic.com/vgsc6.jpg
Billymead8

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 01:06 pm
@jcboy,
Didn't get fired... Somehow
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 01:13 pm
@Billymead8,
Billymead8 wrote:

Didn't get fired... Somehow

Keep in mind (depending on your manager's personality), he or she is likely keeping track of these mistakes. Be extra careful in your future attendance and job performance. It won't hurt to apologize for the Thursday and Friday scheduling mistakes (especially if the company or department you work for is understaffed and/or overworked). Someone just might have been forced to take an extra shift or two. Some people might like the extra money and hours. Often enough, employers hate paying out unnecessary overtime.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 03:13 pm
@Billymead8,
Too late now - but you should have fessed up on Friday when you went in. If you did so it would seem plausible that you made a simple mistake. Now you have not contacted them over several days, it is likely it appear you left your job without notice.

Seeing you were there only 2 weeks and let so many days go by without any contact you have been shown to be irresponsible and likely be let go. If that happens, use this as a life lesson and if you ever make a mistake contact your boss as soon as you can.

And whatever the outcome you should apologize, just basic good manners.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 03:26 pm
@Billymead8,
One other thing - I have managed young people ---- ie college interns. Most I have found to be very responsible, however, I had one that was not very responsible. A good kid, but immature.

One morning when he did not show up to work, I called his number. He answered and said, oh sorry my roommate was supposed to call. I went out last night for my 21st birthday and was partying. I gave him a break -- when I sat him down I gave him the goods. I told him this was a professional job and the expectations are that he act that way. Although I understand being 21 and wanting to celebrate it would be in your best interest if you were simply to state you are sick if such a situation were to happen in the future and to always call yourself.

I tend to think he learned a lesson that day as I was not very pleased. I doubt though seeing you were no show for so many days that they were to take you back.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 03:32 pm
Very glad you didn't get fired.

and learned the lesson. Cool
0 Replies