Which Religion is the One True Religion?

thunder runner32

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 10:25 am
Quote:
à propos

What does that mean?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 10:26 am
Look it up . . . it is an english phrase as well as french . . .
0 Replies

gospelmancan2

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 10:28 am
neologist wrote:
gospelmancan2 wrote:
neologist wrote:
Welcome to the forum, gospelmancan2. I'm sure you will find a cornucopia of opinions. Enjoy!
Thanks much. I really hope that at the end of the day we can all respect each other no matter what we stand for. I have joined other forums to leave later because of personal attacks and mindless BS by the few on the many.
I hear Gumby just celebrated his 50th birthday. He hasn't aged a bit. I don't think you should be concerned if some of the posts get personal. You have to look at he big picture. Oftentimes a post will be a manifestation of some problem in a member's personal life that we have no way of knowing: chapped lips, paper cuts, hemorrhoids. You know the story. For some, it's fleas. Yep; I wouldna believed it; but it's true.

For some it may even be the truth. I think I'll be around awhile because there are enough rational people to keep things on a semi-adult level. Other forums I have been on are nothing more than insult factories specializing in mental masturbaton.
By the way, I picked Gumby because he was always loyal to his friends, happy and had a positive attitude not to mention the fact that even though he seems pliable he was strong when it counted.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 10:32 am
Setenta,

I hope you're not alluding to Jesus, as my imaginery friend...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 10:34 am
I rather thought that you were . . . you might learn to choose your words more carefully . . .

You cannot imagine the endless mirth and entertainment threads such as this afford me . . .
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 10:46 am
gospelmancan2 wrote:
I don't count on much sympathy. After all they crucified Jesus and stoned Stephen didn't they?
Sympathy schmympathy: It's not important. You should expect to have your logical flaws pointed out. Analyse the rebuttal comments whether you think they are in a curmudgeonly spirit or not. (I think not) Then refine your argument. That's what the board is for.
0 Replies

Rex the Wonder Squirrel

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 10:51 am
Quote:
Imaginery friend, how very à propos...

Ah, I love how you take a French original and use it in its English connotation in attempt to showcase your own intelligence...only to misspell the word "Imaginary" beforehand. Quite entertaining. Smile

While I'm here, I also must note how much I enjoy your unnecessarily-lengthy response to my original comments. Which, once one wades through the overuse of adverbs and repetitive statements, is basically the longest "I told you so" post I've seen in these forums.

I'd congratulate you, but that might entail shaking your hand...and I don't feel like having horse**** all over my hand right now. Unless, of course, you wash your hands after creating such horse**** and posting it?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 10:52 am
How very snide and silly of you . . . do entertain yourself, however--that is why i frequent such threads . . .
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 10:54 am
SHEESH! http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/gunfire.gif http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/cap.gif Duck, everybody!
0 Replies

Rex the Wonder Squirrel

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 10:55 am
Snide? Perhaps.

Silly? Of course.

Full of Setanta-class horse****? Never. Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 10:56 am
Certainly i could never argue with that, your personal brand of horseshit has an unexcelled pungency to which others can only wistfully hope to attain . . .
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 10:58 am
Quote:
I rather thought that you were . . . you might learn to choose your words more carefully . . .

No, he is not imaginary, any historian can tell you that he walked the Earth.
0 Replies

Rex the Wonder Squirrel

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 11:03 am
Setanta wrote:
Certainly i could never argue with that, your personal brand of horseshit has an unexcelled pungency to which others can only wistfully hope to attain . . .

Have you resorted to slinging your horse**** at me, now? How snide and silly.

thunder_runner32 wrote:
No, he is not imaginary, any historian can tell you that he walked the Earth.

At first you were referring to him as imaginary in the sense of a metaphor. It is advised that you not switch between meanings so freely, or your true opinion becomes degraded.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 11:05 am
Having studied history all of my life (at least since my grandfather started me with Wells' The Outline of History at age seven), i consider that a statement without foundation. That there was a certain Joshuah who aspired to the dignity of Rabbi while spreading the tenets of Essene philosophy in Palestine two thousand years ago, i do not doubt. I rather suspect that if one picked up a handful of gravel and flung it at a crowd in Judea two thousand years ago, there was a very great possibility of hitting one or more persons named Joshuah, any number of which may have claimed to be a Rabbi.

That is a far cry from asserting that the cobbled-together figure of "Jesus" to which the religionists of our era cling was an historical figure for the existence which there is undoubted proof.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 11:06 am
I do love this board!http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/gathering.gif
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 11:07 am
I sit at the feet of the master as i learn the art of snide silliness.
0 Replies

Rex the Wonder Squirrel

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 11:13 am
You say you've studied history "all your life," yet those who usually make such accusations against the existence of the "Jesus figure" are certainly not historians, but are surprisingly ignorant of the facts.

First of all, the New Testament contains twenty-seven separate documents which were written in the first century A.D. These writings contain the story of the life of Jesus and the beginnings of the Christian church from about 4 B.C. until the decade of the A.D. nineties. The facts were recorded by eyewitnesses, who gave firsthand testimony to what they had seen and heard. "What was from the beginning, what we have heard, what we have seen with our eyes, what we beheld and our hands handled, concerning the Word of Life" (I John 1:1, NASB).

Moreover, the existence of Jesus is recorded by the Jewish historian, Flavius Josephus, who was born in A.D. 37:

Quote:
Antiquities, XVIII, III).

And although this passage has been contested because of the reference to Jesus being the Christ and rising from the dead, the fact of His existence is not in question.

Cornelius Tacitus (A.D. 112), a Roman historian, writing about the reign of Nero, refers to Jesus Christ and the existence of Christians in Rome (Annals, XV, 44). Tacitus, elsewhere in his Histories, refers to Christianity when alluding to the burning of the temple of Jerusalem in A.D. 70. This has been preserved by Sulpicius Severus (Chronicles 30:6).

There are other references to Jesus or His followers, such as the Roman historian, Seutonius (A.D. 120) in Life of Claudius, 25.4, and Lives of the Caesars, 26.2, and Pliny the younger (A.D. 112) in his Epistles, X. 96.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 11:13 am
Setanta wrote:
Having studied history all of my life (at least since my grandfather started me with Wells' The Outline of History at age seven), i consider that a statement without foundation. That there was a certain Joshuah who aspired to the dignity of Rabbi while spreading the tenets of Essene philosophy in Palestine two thousand years ago, i do not doubt. I rather suspect that if one picked up a handful of gravel and flung it at a crowd in Judea two thousand years ago, there was a very great possibility of hitting one or more persons named Joshuah, any number of which may have claimed to be a Rabbi.

That is a far cry from asserting that the cobbled-together figure of "Jesus" to which the religionists of our era cling was an historical figure for the existence which there is undoubted proof.

C'mon Setanta. Your education is not being questioned, only your conclusions. I'll be back with a historical documentation of Jesus, if these other folks don't beat me to it. (and if they don't fill the thread with their caterwauling). But for now, I gottago
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 11:15 am
Rex the Wonder Squirrel wrote:
You say you've studied history "all your life," yet those who usually make such accusations against the existence of the "Jesus figure" are certainly not historians, but are surprisingly ignorant of the facts.

First of all, the New Testament contains twenty-seven separate documents which were written in the first century A.D. These writings contain the story of the life of Jesus and the beginnings of the Christian church from about 4 B.C. until the decade of the A.D. nineties. The facts were recorded by eyewitnesses, who gave firsthand testimony to what they had seen and heard. "What was from the beginning, what we have heard, what we have seen with our eyes, what we beheld and our hands handled, concerning the Word of Life" (I John 1:1, NASB).

Moreover, the existence of Jesus is recorded by the Jewish historian, Flavius Josephus, who was born in A.D. 37:

Quote:
Antiquities, XVIII, III).

And lthough this passage has been contested because of the reference to Jesus being the Christ and rising from the dead, the fact of His existence is not in question.

Cornelius Tacitus (A.D. 112), a Roman historian, writing about the reign of Nero, refers to Jesus Christ and the existence of Christians in Rome (Annals, XV, 44). Tacitus, elsewhere in his Histories, refers to Christianity when alluding to the burning of the temple of Jerusalem in A.D. 70. This has been preserved by Sulpicius Severus (Chronicles 30:6).

There are other references to Jesus or His followers, such as the Roman historian, Seutonius (A.D. 120) in Life of Claudius, 25.4, and Lives of the Caesars, 26.2, and Pliny the younger (A.D. 112) in his Epistles, X. 96.
See what I mean. I spend 10 minutes writing a sentence and Rex composes a treatise.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 11:20 am
Setanta wrote:
I sit at the feet of the master as i learn the art of snide silliness.
Insnide, I'm really just a regular guy
0 Replies