Your parmesan cheese could contain more wood pulp than parmesan, studies suggest

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2016 10:22 pm
http://www.sciencealert.com/your-parmesan-cheese-could-contain-more-wood-pulp-than-parmesan-studies-suggest
I never eat this stuff anyway, but, I know lots of you do.

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2016 10:45 pm
It's mostly not that bad as the headline makes out.
mckenzie

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2016 11:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
I read about that today, so looked at my container of Saputo brand parmesan petals, purchased from Costo, and indeed, cellulose is listed as an ingredient, albeit near the end of the list of ingredients, but still ...

Wondering if buying a solid chunk and grating it ourselves, as needed, might make a difference. I can't remember if that was covered in the article I read.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2016 12:11 am
@edgarblythe,
In Europe, we only get Parmesan cheese "made in Parmesan" (Parmigiano Reggiano ) (European law classifies the name, as well as the translation "Parmesan", as a protected designation of origin.)
For the used milk, cows have to be fed only on grass or hay, producing grass fed milk. Only natural whey culture is allowed as a starter, together with calf rennet.
The only additive allowed is salt.

I like it, but sometimes use Grana Padano (which is similar, but cheaper).
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2016 06:30 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Nods along with Walter. The real thing, parmigiano reggiano, is on the expensive side, for my budget.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2016 06:38 am
@edgarblythe,
It helps increase dietary intake of fiber?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2016 06:44 am
@edgarblythe,
Seriously though, I don't think I eat Parmesan unless I'm in an Italian restaurant as I don't eat out that often..and tend to not have Parmesan. When I've gone out in the last few years, mostly it's been Thai/ So. Asian or seafood.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2016 07:44 am
I try not to buy much food with any sort of cheese, but I still don't like it when they cheat.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2016 09:03 am
@Ragman,
Jesus H Christ. I responded about this on a JESUS was GAY thread. SO, what I was saying was that you shouldnt eat ANY hard cheeses since youve got a chronic heart condition. Hard cheeses contain super doses of Vitamin K. and with ATf , you know what that cn mean
Ragman

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2016 09:11 am
@farmerman,
Oh yeah! there's that issue to contend with.

<thud> keels over with hardened arteries.

My comment was intended as humor....but that being said...it's good advice to anyone over-50.

Seriously though, my particular heart condition is cardiomyopathy...which is not about clogging due to plaque. Of course, I do take meds for preventing of a build-up...but all tests have shown my arteries are in pretty good shape. More than likely the numbers are good because I avoid the hard cheeses, consumption of excessive dairy, red meat ...animal fats...99% of the time.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2016 09:23 am
@Ragman,
I've always thought parmesan is the company word for a craft product of questionable quality for many years. In Italy, it is called parmigiano reggiano and is, as Walter said, a protected designation and that is for good reason. What that specific designated cheese is called in other countries, I've no idea - I figured it was still Parmigiano Reg. Parmesan in the US isn't Parmigiano reggiano at all unless it is called the italian name, and there are other indicators. There are similar cheeses made, I think, in Wisconsin, not the same process, ingredients, or aging time. The flakes are goofy **** in a container.
Ragman

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2016 09:26 am
@ossobuco,
Very interesting. So, that Parmesan designation is not the anglicized name for the product? It's not the same thing at all?

{Edit: I just read that article and another on the same topic. Cripes! More ways for these food conglomerates to scam us for the sake of their bottom line. Damn them!}
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2016 09:44 am
@Ragman,
Pisses me off, having spent some days in Parma and loving the place. I recommend it as a place to visit in Italy. Even if you avoid real Parmigiano cheese ( I think it's made in Regio, a stone's throw or so away), they are also famed for (real) prosciutto and other products, the beauty of the old city, don't get me going..

I went to see the famous piazza with Cathedral and Baptistry and eat like mad, but there was more to see and do than that. I remember it as a bicycle riding city, people fairly dressed up riding here and there in town. Between Parma and Lucca, it would be hard for me to make a choice if I ever get back there; Parma would win.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2016 09:48 am
@ossobuco,
oops -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parma
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2016 10:36 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
I've always thought parmesan is the company word for a craft product of questionable quality for many years. ...
That's the advantage when you live on the continent where it is produced Wink (Another is that we know about the different kinds of Swiss cheeses (well, at least the most commons) and that they come from Switzerland. Wink
(I remember that on a visit some A2K-friends to Appenzell, they were flabbergasted when they noticed five different Appenzeller plus two organics.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2016 10:47 am
@ossobuco,
Spaghetti al parmigiano (aka "spaghetti parmesan") are made IN the parmesan ...

http://i64.tinypic.com/21opkwx.jpg
Linkat

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2016 10:54 am
this cellulose or wood pulp is found in many different types of food not just parmesan cheese. I've heard products like crackers, hamburgers, ice cream, bread, salad dressing continue this as well.

Read the labels and you will see what sort of stuff is in your food.

I buy the regular parmesan cheese and grate it myself much better tasting. Whenever I can I buy real food over the processed stuff any ways. But the kids actually prefer this fake cheese. I do try to get them the one that is parmesan and not the combo of other cheeses -- realizing there is still other stuff in it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2016 11:06 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Yeah, I used to see those wheels stacked.. a beautiful sight to these eyes; if I remember, I saw them stacked in other Emilia Romagna cities too, but I'd have to dig into my photos - maybe it's just memory double vision.

Probably more than anyone else wants to know, excluding Walter who already knows -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parmigiano-Reggiano
farmerman

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2016 11:50 am
@ossobuco,
The interesting point is that the PA Dept Ag is prhaps the toughest food purity reg group in the US, yet it totally ignored the CASTLE CHEESE CO of Pa to be producing its "Parmesan" cheese by mixing in "Cheddared" cheese and wood pulp. It looks like the company has filed for bankruptcy and the CEO may do some time.

We caught it.Heres n article from a paper in Central Pa

Quote:
IN the 1950s, the Food and Drug Administration established an official definition for Parmesan cheese. According to these requirements, it cannot contain more than 32 percent moisture, while it must have a "granular texture," come with a "hard and brittle rind," grate "readily," and be made from cow's milk, among others things.

Nowhere in the definition is there the suggestion that "wood pulp" would be an appropriate ingredient. Nor does it say it's acceptable to substitute in less expensive cheeses, such as cheddar, swiss, and mozzarella. That's not surprising: It should go without saying Parmesan cheese should be Parmesan cheese.

And yet, somehow, Parmesan cheese advertised as 100 percent Parmesan appears to be including wood pulp and other cheese, unbeknownst to us.

The unusual tactic was first flagged by the FDA in 2012, when it found evidence that Castle Cheese Inc, which sold a variety of shaved Parmesan and romano cheeses, was introducing unexpected substances into its Parmesan cheese products. The government agency wrote the company a stern warning, which was filled with unambiguous language like "your product labels declare that the products are Parmesan cheese or romano cheese, but they are in fact a mixture of trimmings of various cheeses and other ingredients" and "your Parmesan cheese products do not contain any Parmesan cheese."

What distinguishes one cheese from another is a consequence of both its ingredients and the process in which its made. In the United States, the standards are set by the FDA, which requires that different cheeses carry different fat, moisture, protein, and salt contents. Parmesan is what is considered a hard Italian cheese, defined by its low moisture, high salt, and medium fat content, as well as its comparatively long ripening process. Mozzarella, on the other hand, is high in moisture and low in salt. It also, like cheddar, swiss, and many other softer cheeses, doesn't require the aging process that Parmesan does, making it cheaper to produce.
The Parmesan cheese you sprinkle on your penne could be wood
The charge against Castle was crippling for the company, which reportedly sold doctored cheeses to major retailers like Target. Castle filed for bankruptcy the following year, and its president Michelle Myrter is expected to plead guilty this month to charges related to the cheese issue.

This past October, Myrter's attorney, Stephen Stallings, told the Pittsburgh Post Gazette the case was a matter of improper labeling, not food safety. "No consumer's health or safety was ever jeopardized as a result of the labeling matters at issue," he told the paper.

Castle, for its part, has mostly complied with the FDA. The company protested the accusations in a response to the FDA's original probe, claiming that the agency could only prove the likelihood that Castle was selling Parmesan cheese with a misleading label, but stopped producing the cheeses in question and threw away what inventory it had left on hand.

Castle's foul play seems to be less of an outlier than an industry-wide ailment. A new report by Bloomberg News, which tested Parmesan cheese bought at various stores across the country, found that other brands advertised as 100 percent Parmesan weren't exactly that.

The FDA's guidelines are vague about the permitted level of cellulose, an approved additive made from wood pulp, which stops the cheese from clustering. Cheesemakers are allowed to use as much as needed to stop their product from clumping, which, per industry standard, is somewhere around 2 percent. But some cheese makers are selling product that contains more than four times that amount, according to Bloomberg:

Essential Everyday 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese, from Jewel-Osco, was 8.8 percent cellulose, while Wal-Mart Stores Inc.'s Great Value 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese registered 7.8 percent, according to test results. Whole Foods 365 brand didn't list cellulose as an ingredient on the label, but still tested at 0.3 percent. Kraft had 3.8 percent.

What's more, major industry players are convinced the problem extends well beyond the products Bloomberg News.

"The tipping point was grated cheese, where less than 40 percent of the product was actually a cheese product," Neil Schuman, who owns Arthur Schuman Inc., which controls a third of the hard Italian cheese market in the U.S., told Bloomberg. "Consumers are innocent, and they're not getting what they bargained for. And that's just wrong."

Shuman believes a fifth of all hard Italian cheese produced in the United States are mislabeled.

Another cheese industry executive told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel in 2014 that some Parmesan cheese being sold contains 20 percent or more cellulose.

Tests seem to have corroborated the notion that a lot of cheesemakers are cheating. DairiConcepts, a subsidiary of Dairy Farmers of America, tested 28 Parmesan brands and found that most were lying about the protein content in their cheese, likely because they were introducing extra cellulose.

The reason companies appear to be cutting corners is simple: it helps them save money. Making Parmesan, romano, and other hard Italian cheeses isn't nearly as efficient as making their softer counterparts — the drying process takes months, shedding moisture and, with it, weight.

Depending on how long it sits, the same amount of milk could mean significantly less cheese by weight than it would if a manufacturer were making cheddar, swiss, or mozzarella. Adding a little extra cellulose, or swapping in a little — or a lot — of another cheese, can save commercial manufacturers millions of dollars.

The growing popularity of hard nutty cheeses in the United States, and the relative unfamiliarity with the nuances of their flavor profile, could be making it easier for the tweaks to go unnoticed. Both Parmesan and romano production are growing rapidly in the country, rising by 11 percent and 20 percent, respectively, last year, according to data from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

The problem, in many ways, is emblematic of an issue afflicting the broader American food industry. The FDA's first priority is ensuring the safety of the American food system, protecting consumers from health hazards that arise when manufacturers are mishandling products or skirting essential food safety standards, which makes it hard to expend the time and resources necessary to catch coy companies like Castle. Increasingly, labels, which are supposed to allow customers to make more informed decisions, are instead turning into advertising vehicles, bending the truth in ways neither consumers nor the government appreciates.

Often, these have been used to pitch questionable health benefits. In 2010, the Food and Drug Administration issued warning letters to 17 food manufacturers, mandating that they correct labels that made unfounded health claims. That same year, nearly half of all new food and beverage products came with a health- or nutrition-related claim, up from 25 percent in 2001, according to a report by the USDA's Economic Research Service.

"Food labeling has become an incredibly powerful marketing tool," said Bill Marler, a lawyer and food safety expert who regularly represents consumers in claims against food companies.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2016 12:27 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Grana Padano

I get this from Lidl, in segment shaped blocks, it's very good value. I would never buy ready grated cheese of any type.