get and be

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 12:55 am
1) Look at the two following sentences:

I must get my father clean before ten o'clock. ( he is quadriplegia )

I can't get the car started.

Now, if we consider the structure: get + noun/pronoun+adjective.This means that the word after father and car should be an adjective.Is this right?

2) what is the difference between be+past participle and get+past participle ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 625 • Replies: 5
No top replies

panzade

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 01:02 am
I'm no English wiz but "I must get my father clean before ten o'clock" is a little awkward.
It would work if you were talking about your car.

I would use: "I must have my father clean... or
" I must get my father cleaned up"... which is more American.

I can't get the car started. Or
I can't start the car.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 01:42 am
Re: get and be
"get" is often used in phrasal verbs to indicate the process of becoming <adjective> or transforming to the state of <adjective>.

A simple construct would be:

get <adjective>

E.g.

"Will he get mad?"
"He got angry last time."

navigator wrote:
1) Look at the two following sentences:

I must get my father clean before ten o'clock. ( he is quadriplegia )

I can't get the car started.

Now, if we consider the structure: get + noun/pronoun+adjective.This means that the word after father and car should be an adjective.Is this right?

Yes.

Quote:
2) what is the difference between be+past participle and get+past participle ?

It is likely that you are talking about words that describe something by being in the past tense.

The car was put on sale on monday.
On Tuesday someone bought it.

So after that, the car can be described as "sold".

So, "be sold" is an awkward construct that would only be used in specific situations.

e.g.

"Will the car be sold?"

Other to be verbs would be more normal and that must be what you are referring to.

"It is wrecked."

Now as to the difference, one describes the state of the noun, and the other describes the transformation to that state.

For example:

He is angry.
He got angry.

The first simply describes that the person is angry, maybe he was born that way.
The second says that the person became angry.

The meaning of "got" in your questions is not dissimilar to "become".
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 03:20 am
I know that you can't say: my house got build in 1890.But, you can say:my house was build in 1890, because we don't use get when the expression suggests a long, deliberate action.Am I right?
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 03:34 am
Got is more American. We hardly use it at all:

We would say 'my house was built in 1890.' We would also say 'he became angry,' rather than 'he got angry.' Instead of saying 'I can't get the car started,' we'd say 'I can't start the car,' or 'the car won't start.' And to us, 'I must get my father clean before ten o'clock' would be phrased, 'I must have my father clean.' Also, we try to use an active, rather than a passive form, whenever possible. 'He got given that by Andrea' would be 'Andrea gave that to him.' In fact, 'get' is considered vulgar over here when used instead of the be form...

I'm personally not fussed, but I suppose that it is easier to use one form, like us, rather than two and having to learn a lot of funky rules.

0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 10:39 pm
drom is correct, and do note that American English has a greater emphasis on phrasal verbs on the whole.

Coupled with British English's greater emphasis of present perfect the got-for-become construct is less prevalent.
0 Replies