Wife Dropped a Bomb

EdHa02

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 02:43 pm
Warning: Long story

Background: My wife and I met through our mothers, who had worked together and known eachother for thirteen years. I am in the military and was on my way to Japan for a year. She thought I was already there and decided to email me, to become something like penpals. Anyway after a few emails and finding out that we were only 20 minutes away, she just had to meet me--I guess I charmed her. We met and it was love at first sight for both of us. The only problem was that she was living with her boyfriend and they had been dating for six years. She was unhappy as he had previously cheated on her. To make a long story short, I explained to her that I was the man for her; that I would give her what she needed and wanted in a man; and that I would love her like no one could. I left for Japan about 7 days after we met. We stayed in contact everyday while I was overseas, either by email or telephone. Some phone conversations were 5 hrs long, most around 2-3. We felt we were soul mates and when she came to visit me, for a weekend, after 3 months of knowing one another I proposed. She accepted. We had a vacation together about halfway through in Hawaii. I came home after 11 months and we got married 3 weeks later. A week later we were on our way cross country (CA-VA) as I had orders. The orders were a good thing as this would guarentee us being together for our first few years of marriage instead of deploying.

At the beginning of our marriage she liked to hold hands, kiss, cuddle, spend time together, etc. She is very very very close to her mother and brother as they were raised by her mom after her parents divorced, when she was about 2. She has a master's degree and is extremely independent. When we got to VA I did not pressure her to get a job as she was exhausted of 8 yrs of college while working full time. She took about six months before she got a job at a nice family run store. She was tired of the "corporate world" and said she was not built for it. After awhile she thought she would try something different and put her degree to work. She got a job as an adjunct professor while still working part time. While in VA we bought a puppy which soon got too big for our apartment, so we bought a house so the dog would have a yard to play in. She got burned out with the teaching job pretty fast as she had to develop all of the class lessons.

Recently I had to go to a school for 3 months, but was able to come home most weekends. At that time her mom came to visit and live with us for about a month. Her mom needed a break from real life as she had just lost her job and was living and taking care of her mother who just had a stroke. After her mom left and I was home for a weekend, she hit me off guard. Let me say that earlier, before her mom came she stopped kissing except a peck on the lips and then the hugs and kisses stopped altogether. We were more like roommates, not a married couple.

We got to talking and she said she was unhappy with our marriage and that she had not felt any passion for me since the beginning. She said she was not the type of women who is "touchy-feely" and that is what she thought I needed. She also said she did not know if she was the type of person to be married. She does not like my family and does not like having my last name. She said she loves me, but is not in love with me. She says I am a good husband--what every girl would want. At a different time she said she did not think she wanted to have children with me, even though before she wanted to. She loves the dogs more than me, which really hurts. She has not told be she loves me in, so long I can't remember. She doesn't wear her wedding ring very often and said she has phases. She hasn't learned that our stuff is "our stuff," not hers and mine. She got mad one day when I got in our car when we were going to the mall. She said, "What are doing getting in my car to drive? You should ask me before you get in my car." She was serious. She also says she doesn't find me attractive.

As you can see there is a lot and I really don't know what to do. Days pass and things are okay as "room mates." We just moved back to CA where our families are. I thought it would get better but it hasn't. I could go on forever about more but there are not enough hours in the day to read it all. I have considered counseling, but I don't think counseling can instill the love that is needed in a marriage. Something odd is that she shows no signs of wanting or thought of divorce. We are unpacking our stuff like nothing is wrong. Another note: All of the women in her family have been divorced at least once. She did not grow up with a father figure or model of what a husband is, or how a marriage should work.

I hope that I have provided enough information so that some of you can give your advice. I love her, but it hurts everyday to know that the feeling is not mutual. Thank you for listening to me ramble on.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,662 • Replies: 18
No top replies

panzade

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 02:45 pm
Sigh
0 Replies

PamO

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 03:05 pm
Ed, I promise you that she will not change. Get an attorney before you lose more of your self esteem. There are too many other great gals out there who would love to have you.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 03:57 pm
tough sledding
Ed,

You've provided more than ample background info about your situation. I would find my way to the door and get out while you can. Her pattern is clearly established by her approach to her jobs. She gets bored easily and gives up on making any of them work. to say the least, she's not a "team player." Perhaps you stay because you think she'll "wake up" and start to love you again like she "should." Don't delude yourself. She is taking the easy way out -or perhaps the only way that she knows.

Protect what dignity and sanity you have left. Get out of there and reestablish your life separate from her's and her family's. You've got a lot of caring you are capable of and that cannot make up for the bad examples she has seen in her life. Grab control of your life and don't let her lack of action be interpreted as safe or good for you.

Good luck!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 04:02 pm
I take it you moved back to CA and got an apartment or rental and didn't buty a house?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 04:09 pm
I'm so glad there aren't any kids in the equation. Make sure you figure things out before there are -- I've seen so many stories here just like yours, and people go ahead and have kids anyway, and then everything is that much more complicated.

I'm not sure I understand your comments about counselling. It seems to me like there are obviously things wrong with your marriage. Counselling can either help you work things out or help you towards divorce, whichever is best for you and your marriage. It sounds like it is just what you need, from what you say.

If you're really just looking for justification in up and divorcing her and being done with it, that's your perogative I guess. Definitely glad there aren't kids in the picture.

sigh

Good luck.
0 Replies

quietman

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 04:13 pm
Ed, I empathize. My relationship is in a similar situation, and I've fought with what I should do, but there really is only one answer: You can't change people, so do what's best for both of you and start over.

Pam is right: as difficult as it may be, you sound like you've clearly got the right stuff to offer to the right person. Problem is, your wife isn't the right person. You need to leave for your sake and hers, and get your life back on track. Experience has taught me that there is no "I" in "we".

Best of luck~
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 04:33 pm
Ouch.

Did writing that out, clear things up?

It would for me.

If you could respond to your own letter I'm betting you'd probably have great advice. Will you take it?

Sorry, man.

Best wishes.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 05:57 pm
I'm with the others. Her employment pattern is really key here. I mean, getting tired of being a professor because she had to make up the lesson plans? Uh, that's what professors do. It sounds like (a) she gets bored but also (b) she doesn't think things through, and then becomes flustered when things devolve as they would normally. Gee, her husband wants to hear "I love you" every now and then - how surprising should something like that be?

I also suggest counseling, because I think couples should at least make an effort before calling it quits. This is not so much because I think this situation is so salvageable - I strongly suspect it isn't - but because you will feel a lot better about things if you feel that you've done everything you could.
0 Replies

Tidewaterbound

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 08:11 pm
EdHa02...if you don't get out of that marriage in a flash you will be ruined. Don't walk--RUN. Call an attorney as fast as possible
0 Replies

EdHa02

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 03:43 pm
Thank you all for your comments and encouraging words. A lot of people including my family feel the same way. A lot of times I think it is my fault, and I question whether there is something that I am doing wrong or ask myself what is wrong with me. I was just reflecting and discussing the situation with my dad and I realized I have bent over backwards to change myself for her. When we met I was a smoker. She really didn't like it so I quit even though I really enjoyed it. She even smoked with me on occasion but now totally hates being around any smokers and will fake cough and say how much she hates it. I grew up very active in outdoor activities with my family, ie shooting, camping, motorcycle riding. Got married and it is all out of the question. Wow, I feel like such a loser having read my post and this reply.

Again thanks to all for your time and advice. I appreciate any additional thoughts you may have.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 05:26 pm
That change in your wife's behaviour & attitude since your "early days" is truly remarkable. Confused It makes me wonder whatshe was really up to. Sadly, if I were you, I'd get out before allowing myself to be hurt ( or maybe used) any more. To stay, after her confession, would make you feel a lot worse, down the track, than you already do now. Good luck!
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 05:42 pm
Ed--

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. You seem like such a nice guy.

This woman has a problem. Your only problem, it seems to me, is your association with her.

A clue is that she reached out to you when she thought you were half way across the earth. I think she has some type of personality disorder, or is extreme commitment phobic, or mean as ****.

Anyway, I'm so thankful (as others have said) that there are no children. Sweetie, count your blessings that you are no more invested than you are--get a lawyer and step away...

The marriage could be saved--but I don't see any big reason to go through all the work. You COULD tell her you'd like to have counselling to save your marriage, but I doubt she'd want to.

Oddly, she seems like one of the ones who will talk real big about wanting the divorce, but during the waiting period, will try to manipulate you to stay. She doesn't want the relationship, but wants you around and available... (Guessing from your depiction.)

I think she's bad for your mental and emotional health.

You're not a loser. Smile
0 Replies

PamO

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 07:14 am
Ed, Last night around 5 I read your latest post at the top of the page here...and I felt terrible that you think you are a "loser." Completely untrue. I wanted to respond right away, but we had our neighbors over last night for a little wine and conversation, and I needed to clean up. Plus, I wanted to be able to come back and have some fabulous words of encouragement for you...Well, Sofia has stolen the show. That was from the heart. We all wish you the best...and get the H out of there!
0 Replies

diana78

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 09:39 am
re
ahhh military relationships-they can be a whirlwind...that's why there's so much divorce...are you in the Navy?
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 10:57 pm
best of luck with your situation ed
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 11:40 pm
I agree sadly that I don't see room for lifetime connection here. I don't myself think counselling would do any good at all, if you could get her to go. I would see an attorney to make sense of the logistics of moving apart... and I would do it on my own quietly before I announced doing so.
While that sounds sneaky, you need to know your rights before things explode. And her rights.

I also see your self esteem is probably running at an all time low and that you are probably more alive and interesting than you think you are... as a good human being.
0 Replies

briarwizard

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 03:00 pm
Damn. I didn't know my wife had a twin. Very Happy

Seriously, as others have said, be thankful kids aren't involved. Drop everything and run. Life is too short to be "tricked" like that. Maybe she wasn't conciously tricking you into the relationship, but the end result is the same either way.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 07:18 pm
What a b*tch.

Sorry, somone had to say it...
0 Replies