edgarblythe

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2016 08:10 pm
I could not listen to it all.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2016 08:16 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
I hope he gets a mental health evaluation before getting locked up.

a few times last night when I was listening, I was just thinking that he's someone's kid and I hope someone can help him
boomerang

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2016 08:37 pm
@ehBeth,
I read a comment somewhere that said something like "he's a misfit who finally found a group to belong to".

I don't know anything about him but that really strikes me as true.... or, at least, plausible.

I didn't listen to much of the livestream stuff but I did hear a bit where that nutty Nevada council-woman (or whatever she was) was telling him "Everybody now knows who you are! You're famous!" and that kind of thing to keep him from killing himself. It was really.... odd.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2016 08:41 pm
ByLAUREN FOXPublishedFEBRUARY 11, 2016, 5:50 PM EST 4697 Views
Just hours after the final four occupiers stepped out of the Malheur Wildlife Refuge and left the property with authorities, the FBI announced that the saga for Harney County wasn't entirely over quite yet.

At a press conference Thursday, FBI special agent in charge Greg Bretzing told reporters, "The Malheur National Wildlife Refuge remains closed, and it will remain closed for some number of weeks."

In the days to come, Bretzing says that law enforcement agents will keep a close watch on the refuge, continue staffing the checkpoints and begin surveying the damage on the property.

"FBI agents are inspecting and securing the buildings and any other areas of concern on the refuge to ensure that no one else is hiding," Bretzing said.

Then, the FBI says it will begin moving through the refuge with "bomb technicians" and members of the Oregon National Guard to "methodically work their way through the property to locate and mitigate any explosive-related hazards."

Bretzing expected that process alone to take a number of days before members of the forensics team could begin gathering their own evidence.

Bretzing also promised that the FBI would deploy their "Art Crime Team" to work closely with the local Native American community to ensure that all of the Paiute Tribe's artifacts and burial grounds had not been disturbed or destroyed.

"Over the course of the last month, the people of Harney County have lived through an experience that is both highly emotional and physically exhausting," Bretzing said. "But, in the time I have been here, I have also seen the deep love that you have for this place you call home—love for the people, the land, and the way of life that makes Harney County so special."

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/fbi-says-work-continues-for-harney-county
ehBeth

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 02:09 pm
@edgarblythe,
http://www.npr.org/2016/02/12/466512321/during-wildlife-refuge-occupation-fbi-exercised-strategic-patience
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 03:11 pm
@ehBeth,
I just wonder why it took so long to work out a strategy like that. They could have saved some lives, in the past.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 03:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
I suspect that they don't announce smaller successes that don't hit the public's attention.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 03:35 pm
@ehBeth,
Yes. Likely, we just see a few high profile stories.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 03:40 pm
The FBI announced they found no booby traps. Which makes sense. Those people would have effectively ended their freedom forever, had they done such things.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 04:09 pm
I'm somewhat confused about all this. The patience involved is interesting in itself. I get it that the FBI is not your everyday police force/sheriff's office in action, that they have learned their own lessons, and think they may have been wise (or not, wait for more), but hey, these folks are challenging the US government and also the tribe(s) re ownership/possession.

Nearly every day or at least every week, we see black people of what ever age gunned down in the U.S. in seconds, usually in cities, by police.

This seems cockeyed to me. White gun packin' blowhards tenderly cared for.

On the matter of the forest service vs bureau of land management, I've read off and on, and last I read, tended to agree with the forest service, while having a cousin's son working for BLM, though I haven't talked with him in at least a couple of decades. Haven't read up enough, though, lately. In my landscape practice, I was involved in dealing with fire issues galore, but that was now quite a while ago; let's say I'm interested in arguments about all that.
But -------- not takeover.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 04:29 pm
Sure it's a double standard. But, shooting these people in no way evens the score for shooting innocent black people. Instead of getting tougher with these people, we need to make the law treat the black Americans the same way they treated the "militia."
ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 04:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
Let me know a couple of hundred years from now.

Presently they are going after western properties owned by the government. One day they may turn east.

As they say about sex, No means N0.

I'm not saying I wanted these people shot, but the variation in caring/show of force is stupendous.

0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 08:57 pm
This was a great time for them to practice their "wait it out" technique. This place is really remote and easily sealed off.

They really didn't plan well either. If they'd waited for nicer weather, or picked some place that wasn't 5 hours from the nearest airport, or a time when people were just getting their holiday credit card bills in the mail, or in support of people who agreed with their message then this whole thing could have been much bigger and much more problematic.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 09:04 pm
@boomerang,
Agreed. I think they expected hundreds at least, maybe thousands, to join them and stand off the FBI.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2016 03:19 pm
FEDS FIND EXPLOSIVES, TRENCHES, GUNS AT OREGON PRESERVE
http://abc13.com/news/feds-find-explosives-trenches-guns-at-oregon-preserve/1204172/
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2016 07:56 pm
Oh brother...

Quote:
Shawna Cox, who was arrested last month during the militant takeover at a federal reserve in Oregon, sued federal officials on Wednesday, accusing them of victimizing herself and her compatriots.

“I am asking for criminal and civil penalties for the perpetrators that subjected me and my witnesses to the crimes I have identified herein,” the lawsuit stated. “I Claim I and the others involved in these actions have suffered damages from the works of the devil in excess of $666,666,666,666.66.”

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/02/oregon-militant-accuses-feds-of-committing-works-of-the-devil-in-666-billion-lawsuit
ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2016 08:02 pm
@boomerang,
that's a special kind of crazy
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2016 12:35 am
@ehBeth,
KATU-TV reported that Cox’s lawsuit was dismissed after a judge said her claims were “not cognizable in this criminal proceeding and will not be addressed in this case.”
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 12 May, 2016 06:03 pm
http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/05/oregon_standoff_defendant_scot.html

Quote:
First Oregon standoff defendant pleads guilty

Quote:
Scott Willingham, who was part of the security team during the takeover of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, pleaded guilty Thursday to stealing government property.

Willingham was accused of taking or converting government-owned cameras for his own use. He faced two counts of theft of government property but entered a guilty plea in federal court in Portland to one count. The other was dismissed.

Willingham hasn't been charged in the larger conspiracy case stemming from the Jan. 2 refuge takeover, but is the 27th person to face a federal indictment in the 41-day occupation of the wildlife sanctuary outside Burns.

He's the first refuge defendant to enter a guilty plea.

Willingham, 49, was with occupation spokesman Robert "LaVoy" Finicum on Jan. 15 when Finicum took down surveillance cameras at a substation six miles from Burns.

<snip>
0 Replies