Here is a message for ad, improve its grammar please

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 11:10 pm
The patterns are embroidered exquisitely and elegantly. The pillows and cushions are beautifully bulging without any hollow corners. With perfect after service, we have won over the hearts of our customers and enjoy high reputation home and abroad. "Win the market by quality" and "Serve our customers heart and soul" have always been our mottos for management and development.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 958 • Replies: 10
No top replies

bermbits

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 06:39 am
Re: Here is a message for ad, improve its grammar please
oristarA wrote:
The patterns are embroidered exquisitely and elegantly. The pillows and cushions are beautifully bulging without any hollow corners. With perfect after service, we have won over the hearts of our customers and enjoy high reputation home and abroad. "Win the market by quality" and "Serve our customers heart and soul" have always been our mottos for management and development.

I have separated the two sections (see below). I don't know the target audience(s), but it sounds like there are two. Feel free to combine. I am sure others will have other suggestions.

"The patterns are exquisitely and elegantly embroidered. The pillows and cushions are fully filled with no hollow corners. Our after-service and reputation are unrivalled at home and abroad."

"Our mottos for for management and development are "Quality wins the market" and "We give our all to our customers."
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 06:54 am
Re: Here is a message for ad, improve its grammar please
Hi oristarA.

I just want to give you a quick primer on adverb word order in English. I won't cover all the bases but will touch on some rules for the sentence you posted.

oristarA wrote:
The patterns are embroidered exquisitely and elegantly.

Generally:

The adverb goes after a to be verb and before other verbs.

He lovingly caressed the goat.

He is frequently late.

So as bermbits noted, it should be:

exquisitely and elegantly (adverbs) embroidered (verb)
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 12:10 am
My grammar book told that an adverb can be put in anywhere in a sentence... Razz

I checked out some articles from AP or WashingtonPost, yes you are right Craven. Very Happy

Thank you both.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 12:15 am
oristarA wrote:
My grammar book told that an adverb can be put in anywhere in a sentence... Razz

Generally (adverb) it can't, unless you are deftly (adverb) trying (verb) to achieve a certain effect.

For example, the above sentence is structured in a way to emphasize the initial adverb.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 01:04 am
Nice, Craven. I think that is what the book wanted to express. I just didn't know the "normal place" without that "unless".
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 03:48 am
Quote:
He lovingly caressed the goat.

Been talking to Gus again Craven? Keeping my eye on you, cyber-boy....
0 Replies

MeehnU

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 10:00 am
Which is correct?

What makes you perfect is your imperfections.

OR

What makes you perfect are you imperfections.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 11:26 am
Of course only the first sentence is correct.
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 11:39 am
I would say the second because "your imperfections" is the subject. I see the verb "is" as an equal sign here.
0 Replies

limbodog

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 02:40 pm
I would change:

With perfect after service, we have won over the hearts of our customers and enjoy high reputation home and abroad.
to:
With our superior service, we have won over the hearts of our customers and enjoy a great reputation at home and abroad.
0 Replies